Deep Lake Trail

Deep Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile loop trail located near Middleville, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Wayland, MI: Take US 131 south turning east at the Bradley exit. Take CR A-42 (Chief Noonday Road) east to Gun Lake Road following the signs to Yankee Springs Headquarters. Obtain detailed park map at this point.

we road mountain bike every week for one summer

This is my first review and am learning the system. Wasn't sure where to post since we walked on both the Hall Lake Trail and the Deep Lake Trail.

It was a gorgeous day and we had a great afternoon hiking the trails. We parked in the lot off of Gun Lake Road at the entrance to the Hall Lake Trail. We took Hall Lake Trail past Hall Lake (beautiful & calm, saw a family picnicking on the shoreline) and then up to Devil's Soup Bowl. From there, we turned right and took the Deep Lake Trail. This is where we ran into a problem. Somehow we got off the hiking trail and onto the mountain bike trail so I would recommend really keeping your eye out for the split. As the trail neared Gun Lake Road, we exited the trail onto Gun Lake Road and walked down it for about a mile until turning right on the North Country Trail near Hall Lake. We skirted the edge of Hall Lake and turned left back to parking lot. All in all, it took about 5.5 miles. Next time, will try to find a way to go on both Hall Lake and Deep Lake Trail without going on Gun Lake Road.

Ran this for a 5 mile loop, many shortcuts throughout trail to make loops for desired mileage. Nice verdure forest, some views of deep lake. Lots of pines and ferns throughout trail. Decent gain and loss. Look out for mountain bikers.

Beautiful place! Will definitely visit again.

Great trail. We hiked about 6.5 miles of it and biked the first two, but several times the very confusing signage along the trail took us on a different route than shown in map. It is actually about 13 miles if you do the entire loop, not 10.8.
Many short cuts, options and links to other trails, but again, not well signed at all. There are directional arrows on the trail for mountain bikers, but the direction changes depending on the day of the week.
The trail is beautiful and well maintained. Many sandy (beach like) sections and the mountain biking is moderately difficult. The signs along the trail are the only real problem with this trail. There are old signs and new signs and they often contradicted each other. The park offers old blurry maps that have been photo copied too many times.

We love this trail and the ones nearby. There are so many to explore. I recommend to everyone.

I've hiked this loop 4-5 times now and I personally think it's the best trail at Yankee Springs. The actual loop can be reached from either the Devils Soup Bowl (accessible by a muddy road) or the mountain bike staging area that is directly off the main road and shares the deep lake rustic campground. I have chosen to link the hall lake trail with the deep lake trail to offer a longer more challenging day hike the last few times, no different today in mid-Jan. I began the trail at the Devils soup bowl and went clockwise (north to east) after a short leg for the woods you meet up with a muddy road that takes you on a straight route through the woods and a cleared game area. You pass a trailer park/campground? (Camping trailers and people there in the dead of winter suggests it a trailer park). You'll need to pay attention not to miss the trail on the south side of the road. After hugging the deep lake shoreline you have access to a fishing pier and the rustic campsites that I've known to be crowded with trailers and pop-ups. The trail hugs the lakeshore snakes around the campsites until you reach the first junction to loop with the deep lake trail or continue toward the mountain bike staging area. I usually hike on the mountain bike trail (sorry bikers! I promise to move out of the way) as it offers a longer hike and I personally like the area although it skirts the busy road on your left for a lengthy duration. You stroll through mostly hardwood forests and a few patches of pine before you link back with the soup bowl junction. I loop around the north side of the bowl to see a couple new sites before linking back with the graves hill/soup bowl parking lot.

The Hall Lake trail is a short walk (5 minutes) which offers another 2 mile loop. Personally Hall Lake is my favorite lake in the area. With Hall Lake Trail and Deep Lake combined you can make for a nice 6-7 mile loop. Overall good hike for southwest Michigan. The soup bowl is a must see during the hike.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

This is just OK. It's not off-the-beaten-path, meaning too close to some roads and constant noise of traffic. It is not well marked and those caring for it use a bit too much sand to fill in wet areas (for the mountain bikers, I presume). I did find a path, marked on the trail but not on this map, that does go along the east edge of Deep Lake - this part is at least scenic.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Friday, July 17, 2015

Good trail. Easy to follow. I'm hard if hearing , I remove my hearing aids while hiking ( sweat issue with them). My concern was sharing the trail with bikes. Its been my experience on the roads that many cyclists act as if they own the roa . That said, my hike on this trail , Memorial Day weekend , was grea . The riders shared the trail as did I. It was easy for me to step aside and give them ample room to pas . I found great trail respect from the riders on a VERY busy trail day.

Though not my favorite trail at Yankee Springs , I will walk it agai . Hit my favorite spo .

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

I give two stars at best...poorly marked, hiked out an hour and a half before we saw a map on the trail that said we missed the loop way back, devils' soup bowl a gully with trees in it, no big deal. Nice mountain bike trail but foot trail poor quality

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Great place to get away from the city/concrete jungle. Although the trail can be busy with other users at times, most occasions I am all alone!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great trail. Had a lot of intersecting trails that you can use to expand the hike if you get part way through and just want to go that extra mile.