Deep Lake Trail

Deep Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile loop trail located near Middleville, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Wayland, MI: Take US 131 south turning east at the Bradley exit. Take CR A-42 (Chief Noonday Road) east to Gun Lake Road following the signs to Yankee Springs Headquarters. Obtain detailed park map at this point.

We love this trail and the ones nearby. There are so many to explore. I recommend to everyone.

I've hiked this loop 4-5 times now and I personally think it's the best trail at Yankee Springs. The actual loop can be reached from either the Devils Soup Bowl (accessible by a muddy road) or the mountain bike staging area that is directly off the main road and shares the deep lake rustic campground. I have chosen to link the hall lake trail with the deep lake trail to offer a longer more challenging day hike the last few times, no different today in mid-Jan. I began the trail at the Devils soup bowl and went clockwise (north to east) after a short leg for the woods you meet up with a muddy road that takes you on a straight route through the woods and a cleared game area. You pass a trailer park/campground? (Camping trailers and people there in the dead of winter suggests it a trailer park). You'll need to pay attention not to miss the trail on the south side of the road. After hugging the deep lake shoreline you have access to a fishing pier and the rustic campsites that I've known to be crowded with trailers and pop-ups. The trail hugs the lakeshore snakes around the campsites until you reach the first junction to loop with the deep lake trail or continue toward the mountain bike staging area. I usually hike on the mountain bike trail (sorry bikers! I promise to move out of the way) as it offers a longer hike and I personally like the area although it skirts the busy road on your left for a lengthy duration. You stroll through mostly hardwood forests and a few patches of pine before you link back with the soup bowl junction. I loop around the north side of the bowl to see a couple new sites before linking back with the graves hill/soup bowl parking lot.

The Hall Lake trail is a short walk (5 minutes) which offers another 2 mile loop. Personally Hall Lake is my favorite lake in the area. With Hall Lake Trail and Deep Lake combined you can make for a nice 6-7 mile loop. Overall good hike for southwest Michigan. The soup bowl is a must see during the hike.

This is just OK. It's not off-the-beaten-path, meaning too close to some roads and constant noise of traffic. It is not well marked and those caring for it use a bit too much sand to fill in wet areas (for the mountain bikers, I presume). I did find a path, marked on the trail but not on this map, that does go along the east edge of Deep Lake - this part is at least scenic.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Good trail. Easy to follow. I'm hard if hearing , I remove my hearing aids while hiking ( sweat issue with them). My concern was sharing the trail with bikes. Its been my experience on the roads that many cyclists act as if they own the roa . That said, my hike on this trail , Memorial Day weekend , was grea . The riders shared the trail as did I. It was easy for me to step aside and give them ample room to pas . I found great trail respect from the riders on a VERY busy trail day.

Though not my favorite trail at Yankee Springs , I will walk it agai . Hit my favorite spo .

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

I give two stars at best...poorly marked, hiked out an hour and a half before we saw a map on the trail that said we missed the loop way back, devils' soup bowl a gully with trees in it, no big deal. Nice mountain bike trail but foot trail poor quality

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Great place to get away from the city/concrete jungle. Although the trail can be busy with other users at times, most occasions I am all alone!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great trail. Had a lot of intersecting trails that you can use to expand the hike if you get part way through and just want to go that extra mile.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

This was a fun little trail! Saw some excellent scenery. Also seems like you have a good chance of seeing some deer, as we saw tons of tracks (never actually saw the deer though). Did see some turkeys though! The Devil's Soup Bowl overlook is a pretty cool spot, and I'd recommend taking the 15 minute detour to go see it. The only reason I didn't give this trail a 5 star rating is because it runs to close to the main road for a bit, and I don't like hearing cars when I'm trying to get away.... Other than that it's wonderful though! I recommend staying at the Deep Lake Rustic campground when your there, the trail actually runs right next to the sites so you don't even have to drive to the trailhead.