Deadman's Hill Trail

Deadman's Hill Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elmira, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Hiked the larger Jordan River Pathway (no trail listed) so I will double dip on this one. Deadmans Hill offers splendid views of the East Jordan Watershed and lowlands. The parking lot is a short distance from the hill up a gravel trail.

The East Jordan River Pathway was a nightmare to say the least. The sign postage was terrible. They did not note the detour on the large board in the parking lot so I hiked until a reached a bridge that was half submerged, had to backtrack and side hike roads until I reached the state campground late, after dark. The following day it was much better on the northern side as the trial was labeled much better, however there was much overgrowth and decay. The highlight of the trail was when it hugged the river for a moderate duration, however there was too much walking through uneventful forest that could be hiked downstate in local parks. If you are looking for a rugged/bushwhacking trail this is your place. I don't mind trailblazing but this was unmanageable at times.

Even if there was blazes every 1/4-1/2 mile that'd be a start. I'd be willing to give this longer weekend loop another chance in a year or so.

Good trekking with babies on moderate 80 degree, cloudy day. Got a little hot, stagnant in spots, muddy at bottom after heavy rain 2 days prior & literally up hill both ways ;)

moderate 3 mile hike. perfect for dogs. beautiful view at the end!

This hike is just great. 3 miles, took about 90 min at a decent pace due to elevation changes. If you're facing away from the cars, take the trail entrance to the right, saves the view for the end. At the first fork you go left. Trail was muddy/washed out and sandy in some spots but we easily managed even with a baby on my back. Bring bug spray, flies were pretty annoying. In June this was nicely shaded.

Well marked. Moderate descent and climb. Picturesque. Dog loved it too:)

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Friday, April 05, 2013

Pack 17 cub scouts did this three mile trek in October. Great hike, need better signs for where the three mile loop and the Northern Trail meet and separate. Having a map helped. Start at the parking lot and go down hill returning up the scenic trail makes for a kid friendlier pace. Colors were at peak!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The trail was confusing because the signs are not helpful and there were trees down on the trail. It was a great experience but my boyfriend and I got lost for 18 miles. They need better signs!!!!!

Friday, July 20, 2012

This is listed as 3 miles but it's part of the larger East Jordan Pathway which you can take about 18 miles. I've hiked this twice both times as a day hike. Both times I've finished late in the evening exhausted. But it was well worth it. The trail can be challenging and most people hike the Pathway as an over night trip. There is a campground at about the 8-9 mile mark.

Friday, September 09, 2011

Not worth your time. No views and trail maintenance is something to be desired. I was up from Phoenix for Labor Day to be with my wife's family. This was the only trail I had time to try out. Half way through, I was wishing that I had attempted different trail instead. There has to be something better around, and I encourage you to go there rather than here.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hiked this one solo on a whim, on what had to me the hottest day of the summer. I suffered the misfortune of a leaking hydration pack when I most needed it, but an outstanding adventure none the less.