Chapel Trail Mosquito Falls Loop

Chapel Trail Mosquito Falls Loop is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Melstrand, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

beach

Several hikes are available in this area, depending on what trails you take and how long you wish to walk. Waterfalls into Lake Superior near Chapel Rock.

Loved the length and variety of views, as well as the mix of ease and challenge.

Have hiked this loop at least five times, very well maintained and is by far one of my most favorite. When I take friends to the UP I always start with this trail because its easy and very impressive. Being able to walk along the cliffs is the highlight. The other interesting feature is the terrain changes frequently, adding to both the challenge of the trail and its uniqueness.

Top 5 hike in Michigan for sure, if not #1 or #2. Must do it.

Nothing compares to that moment I stepped out of the woods and saw the majestic sandstone cliffs as far as the eye could see. It was as though I had walked to the edge of the world. Lake Superior was pristine and great for a swim in the middle of the hike, and the views just got better the farther along the cliffs I hiked. The only downside was the occasional noisy tour boat.

One of my all time favorite hikes. Started out on the chapel falls side and loved the views of the lake and cliffs. Stopped at the beach campground for a nap in the hammock and lunch then finished up the return on the mosquito falls side. Get there early for a parking spot as the lot fills up quick.

The view is incredible when you get to the cliffs and water. A must if you are into hiking!

Spectacular views. The part in the woods was very serene and peaceful. Very windy along the coast and we had a lot of sand blown in our face and eyes- I had a buff around my neck which I was able to pull up over my face and that helped quite a bit.

Incredible views once you reach the lake

Amazing views and such a diverse trail experience, from wooded waterfalls, to the Pictured Rocks shore, to riverside. Just beautiful. Go early in the morning to avoid too many people!

This was a great hike!Long but not to difficult. So many views and great nature along the way. This is muddy in multiple areas so dress appropriately. Waterfalls are ehh.. but the lake shore is gorgeous. Bears were in the area the other week so make sure you are prepared and take the correct measures.

The best part of this trail is the back four miles don't stop at the waterfalls you'll completely regret it.

Fascinating views, beautiful nature!

This is a beautiful and spectacular trail. We took the 3+ mile trail to Chapel Beach and then hiked along the North Country Trail on the top of Pictured Rocks for about 4 miles and finally back to the trailhead. We did not do Chapel Falls because we previously hiked it. The total was about 10 miles and it took about 6 hours since we stopped so many times to take in the amazing views. One of our group rated it right up there with the Grand Canyon. Would highly recommend this part of the trail.

You can see Chapel Falls, Rock and Beach by walking about 6.5-7 total miles. The description makes it sound like 9+ may be required, but that is true only if you want to see Mosquito Falls too.

Make sure to hit the beach up as the view is stunning.

Beautiful hike.

Awesome great views - parts of the trail are muddy with reasonable work around. Otherwise perfect!

Fairly easy trail that becomes very muddy after some rain. Cool little beach at the end of the hike out. Great scenery!

We did the loop without the Mosquito Falls portion. Not particularly strenuous but lengthy. The portions along the edge of the cliffs are awesome, but the parts out there and back can be a little dull and were very muddy when we went.

This was so worth the hike!! We did a portion of this trail last year along pictured rocks. There is also a nice rustic campground over here for backpackers. The signs for bear sightings made us a little nervous though! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Nice trail. More easy than moderate. Gravel road park entrance is pot hole hell on a motorcycle!

Best hike ever, so beautiful and the campsites were so nice, no fires on the sites with this loop though.

One of the best experiences of my LIFE! I did the whole 10 mile loop in 2015, and it is truly other-worldly. I felt like I was in New Zealand when I reached the cliffs! Pack a good amount of water/snacks! Took us about 8 hours with stopping to play on the beach & getting a little turned around at the end.

Great hike! We hiked the full 10 mile loop, the view is soo worth it. No picture can do it justice. Some muddy/wet spots, our shoes took a beating and feet got a little wet but nothing that was unbearable. I would definitely recommend it! We aren't super experienced hikers and really enjoyed it. We took about 6 hours to complete it. We weren't in a hurry and stopped a few times.

Great hike. Pristine woods, beautiful waterfalls, cliff shoreline, white sandy beaches. Took us 6 hours but we took our time and enjoyed every minute.

visiting from minnesota. completely blown away by the beauty of this trail! reminded me of the olympic peninsula, except the water here was so incredibly vibrant & clear. we hiked the entire loop, visited the beach, stopped at many of the sights (grand point was a fun one), and saw multiple deer cross the trail just mere yards away. thoroughly enjoyed this hike. the trail was super muddy though--wear hiking boots. saw lots of people in tennis shoes being slowed down by having to go far off the trail (which is also a bummer to the trail's integrity) to avoid the thick, deep mud. also, there are no garbage cans...pack it in & pack it out! i picked up a fair amount of trash on the trail. also, it's worth getting up early (think...arrive at 7-8 AM) to avoid huge crowds. by the time we got back to the parking lot around 2 PM, the road in was jam packed with cars that could not get a spot in the lot.

Finished this trail in mid-June, so this may not apply during other times, but at least at this point, the lower segments of the trail are quite miserable. The Mosquite Falls segment in particular was mostly hiking through standing water and mud, though it hadn't rained in the time we'd been at pictured rocks, so I'd hate to try it right after a rain. The standing water of course made for fertile breeding grounds for the already bad mosquito problems.

If you avoid that area, however, the beach is quite beautiful (though it seems to be fairly hit or miss as to whether or not you'll be swarmed with biting black flies), and the view from the higher segments of trail, especially along the north country trail, are great.

Amazing views and a wide variety of natural features.

Monday, August 29, 2016

We did this hike in October and the colors/views were amazing!!! It was an easy hike but it is 9 miles. If it's hot take lots of water and snacks are always a good thing.

Friday, August 05, 2016

This trail for some reason is listed as easy! Starts out somewhat easy with just some ups and downs, but ends, We thought, more on the difficult side. Great trails and very scenic along Lake Superior. We did the full track. Gps said 11.2 miles. The stable flies were awful near Superior, made it hard to stop and really enjoy the beauty of it all, but we did for as long as we could. Took us 5 hours, youngest being 13. Oldest being 46. Temperature was 85 degrees. Take lots of water and wear gear that keeps the stable flies from biting. Loved this trail, great adventure.