Blue and Yellow Trail Loop

Blue and Yellow Trail Loop is a 12.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Island state park has two bike trails: blue (longer) and yellow (shorter). This is the yellow. Easy/ moderate difficulty. Quick & fun. Trail allows for a quick speed. Has a few log piles. Has some sandy parts. If its been raining a lot a small section will be flooded but it's not bad. Fees: Resident: $11 annual recreation passport. Non-resident: $9/daily, $31/per year

How long does this usually take to hike?

Nice trails year round

Island Lake Recreation Area is beautiful. Kayaking feels like you're up north (when you get out of distance of the shooting range anyway). Hiking is gorgeous with lots of elevation, sweeping views, and huge sand dunes to climb and go down. Who knew there were big sand dunes in SE Mich? For the best hike, park in the Spring Mill Pond parking lot and then find the bike/hike trails south and east of the parking lot. There's also an awesome little secluded pond you can swim in with sandy banks.

This is one of my favorite trails to train on. There is some great elevation as well as a few technical spots.

I hike this trail . Today was really hot . I was able to 13.6 miles . I enjoy it . I didn't use the trail App to record all my activities .

How are the trails today after yesterday's rain?

Nice trail for a beginner it has some challenges but if you have the stamina they're easily handled.

My boyfriend and I did half of the blue trail last Saturday; would definitely go back to check out the rest of the trails! Also had a chance to view the meteor shower up on a hill overlooking Spring Mill Pond. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Great trails. It's been a few years since we've been here and had forgotten what a great trail this is. It's a fast trail with plenty of straight always and a few fairly easy climbs. Awesome plase to come and spin your legs, also great place for beginners to experience the sport.

After transitioning from road to trails, I find my second visit not devoid of interesting challenges. I'm working through them with each visit but find difficult to master the long technical inclines. I look forward to each visit.

I hike the blue loop every so often ( i usually stick with the yellow because of time restraints). If anyone has hiked or biked the blue trail, have you seen the VW bug in the woods? I am trying to get a history of that car and how it got there. if you have any info please let me know. Thank you.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

I Like the Yellow Trail because it is less technical then Maybury State Park Mt Bike Trail, and it feels like a faster ride.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

There were a few parts that were not marked well. Near the end "two-way" traffic signs popped up and I ended up missing about 4+miles. The blue connects to the yellow if you're trying to get the full trail FYI.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Great trail. Not as technical as Poto but a great variety of terrain. Great water at the trail head parking.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

For those interested in mountain biking, Island Lake offers 2 trails: Blue Trail at 9.5 miles and Yellow Trail at 5.6 miles. Both trails difficulties are about the same, they are moderate and not too difficult. My wife has just started mountain biking and the two of us did the Blue one in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I then did the Yellow one in 45 minutes. There are only a few difficult parts. The trail is simply gorgeous, going though wooded areas with many waterways. You can see one of the lakes from one part. There are pit toilets at the entrance to the trails. The only negative about both trails are that not all turns have signs. They are actually somewhat confusing in a couple of areas where you have to travel on the park road and then get back on the trail. I highly recommend having the Alltrails app on your iPhone. I used it a couple of times to get back on the trail.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

We took the blue path for a 10 mile hike, Great stops and good scenery BUT bikes go the same direction as hikers and the path is best suited for biking.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

I love this beginner level trail, you can fast and its where I bring all my first timers. The 13 mile road route is fantastic and is easy to connect to Kensington.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Nice scenery. plenty of bike traffic on the weekends. Not the hills I was expecting, nothing to really get your heart rate up. Definitely recommended for great views and a casual easy hike, if you are OK with bike traffic.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

We hiked the yellow trail which was a fun easy trail. As a hiker the trail is far too narrow in most spots to let bikes pass. If it were just a hiking trail or just a biking trail it would be much better.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Lots of bike traffic, but everyone is courteous.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Easy paved trail. Great for families!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Great trails for the beginner mountain biker or the skilled rider. The blue loop is about a 9 mile loop and is fast and great for novice riders, but plenty of trail features to keep the skilled riders entertained. The yellow loop is shorter at 6 miles, but is a tad more technical. Still a good ride for beginners at slower speeds. There is also a 5 mile paved trail that connects to Kensington Metropark.
Hikers and runners should go the opposite direction of the trail signs to make it safer for everyone. A skilled rider that is familiar with the trails should be able to complete both loops in about an hour.
This link says it is only 13 miles, but both loops are actually 15-16 miles from the trailhead. It also says it is "easy" and much of it is, but many climbs, decent's and sandy sections still make my wife nervous.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Beautiful scenic trail. Narrow in places. Well marked for the most part.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Rode this morning after the rail. Big puddles but very ridable. Plan on getting dirty. Trail drains well - but it'll be muddy tomorrow.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Sweet dry trails! Finally!!!

Friday, August 08, 2014

Very scenic trail that is quite narrow. The trail is big enough for one biker or one runner to fit on. I enjoyed walking / running on this trail, but have to warn others to be mindful of hikers! The bikers on this trail can travel at a rather high rate of speed and not provide runner / walker folks with much warning. I thought I was going to get run over a time or two. Aside from being very alert, I would recommend wearing a hat, as the horse flies are everywhere!

Thursday, July 31, 2014

good trail, good hills some flat areas but a lot of sand

Monday, June 09, 2014

An absolute blast! Just started mountain biking this year and this has been my favorite so far. Not very challenging but incredibly fun. Went on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and only saw a couple people. I will be back for sure!

Friday, October 11, 2013

Fun trail (yellow), little sandy in a few spots, great place to pick up some speed.

Friday, July 05, 2013

This trail is one that is in heavy rotation on my ride schedule. I love running and riding my mountain bike out here. I recently purchased a Cannondale Caadx Disc Ultegra Cyclocross bike and have rode it out here several times. The path is easy enough for a beginner to enjoy and the advanced rider can work on speed. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Rivers, pine forests, wildlife and much more. The park staff dose a great job of keeping the park clean and after a hard ride you can go and have a soak in the pond!