Big M Trail

Big M Trail is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Manistee, Michigan that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you’re into flat, mosquito infested, skinny single track hiking trails with no views, this might be for you. I can’t speak to the mountain bike experience, but for my time I would prefer 15 Miles on the NCT hiking. Truthfully though, I skipped the hilly section at the end because of time constraints. I wish I had gone clockwise from the trail head and done the hills first, then used the NCT section and cut off miles of flat trail.

Well maintained and nice ride. Has some rolling hills and some sandy parts to watch out for, but not technical at all. I'd rate it beginner flow but intermediate climbs with some fast decent.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Evening the most difficult hikes are not bad. Great hike for a few hours on an afternoon. Very quiet.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

13 miles on the Big M today. lovely well marked trail... we did 1-9 to 32 down to 29, across the NCT and back to 23 and then home to 4,3,2,1

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

my gf skipped leg day and ruined the fun :/

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ran the North Country Run half marathon here. Beautiful country that was challenging. May have to visit this winter for some snowshoeing.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

We have x-country ski'd Big M many times. The trails are usually groomed by volunteers (a donation is suggested but not mandatory). The level of difficulty runs the full gamut from easy thru difficult. We like to bring our dog along as do many other people. It's beautiful country, well worth the trip. Catamount trail is only for physically fit skiers who are up for a challenge.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

One of my favorite places to run. There is a good variety of terrain.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Big M is one of my favorite places to train in MI. Plenty of hills and well marked trails. You can get a 25 mile loop if you incorporate the outer loop with some of the inner loops. Nice woods and even wildlife.

Saturday, May 27, 2017