Bass River Recreation Area Trail

Bass River Recreation Area Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grand Haven, Michigan that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I’d like to try this trail again when the foliage is out. This is a super entertaining trail, with all kinds of twists and turns that make it challenging for trail riders and fun for hikers. I like narrow trails just like this. A few more hills would be nice but that’s fine! This is also well-marked and while I was the only hiker in five miles, the trail riders were very polite and friendly.

Beautiful. A good variety of different terrain.

Tight trail but saw 2 deer. Pretty flat and tight corners.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Woodsy. Trail use is mainly for bikes, not so much for hiking. Trail stays near roads most of the time and takes you close to homes; felt like I was wondering through someone's back yard at times. Dirt road to trailhead. Sounds: birds and cars.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

My wife and I, and our dogs enjoy the hike and scenery.

Friday, April 22, 2016

the best

Friday, July 24, 2015

This place was SOOO much fun. My wife who is relatively new to mountain biking and I went for a ride here and had a blast. The amount of twists, turns, roots, trees, banks and roll packed into the trail is unlike anything that I've ever ridden. I loved the short but sweet north loop so much that I did it again for speed after completing the whole ride. I definitely will be back.

Agree with some earlier posts that crossings of horse trails and at grassy areas, particularly in the 3rd loop, are sometimes a bit confusing. Just keep heading straight until you see a brown marker with an arrow and you'll be just fine. Directions and map above are spot on.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

We have just started mountain biking so we are trying new places each time. But this will definitely be one we come back to. Presents a challenge without be too difficult for beginners.

Thursday, March 07, 2013

We ride out here ounce every couple weeks in the summer. To find the trailhead use the entrance off from 104 ave and drive in about 1/4 mile and park at the turn around in the road. (43.01972, -86.04130)

The start of Loop 1 is not marked, but it heads off to the north from here. Loop 2 starts where Loop 1 crosses the road back towards the entrance. The start of loop 3 heads off to the right (east) just before loop 2 dumps you back out to the entrance road.

Loops 1 and 2 are tight, but the turns flow together pretty good. Loop 3 is very tight and technical.

Here is a link to a track of the trails that I found on open street map: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.018435&lon=-86.03716499999999&zoom=15&layers=M

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Enjoyable scenery, but the signs are a bit hard to follow. Be prepared to get a little confused locating the trails here, but once you do you'll be rewarded. This is really a nice escape from the city as its very quiet and peaceful.

Sunday, September 02, 2012

no longer open to to public, Private Drive Only!

Friday, August 12, 2011

I had a hard time finding this place. Google maps took me to the wrong place. When I did arrive, there were no signs pointing me to the beginning of the trail. Besides these directional issues, the trail itself was great. The majority of the trail is in the woods. Many ups and downs and turns. Now that I know where it is, I will return!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3 Loops, pretty technical not much elevation gain or loss. Trails are in nice shape.

Sunday, February 19, 2017