Bald Mountain Blue, White and Orange Loop Trails

moderate 159 reviews

Bald Mountain Blue, White and Orange Loop Trails is a 10.8 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rochester, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.8 km Elevation Gain: 134 m Route Type: Loop

beach

Hiking the entire 11.7 miles will take about 5 hours, but there are shorter loops within the system and well marked.

icy

This was my second time doing this trail.. because its extremely local and a fun trail to do. A good way to spend a few hours of your day. The ONLY two things that I dislike about this trail.. is the noise pollution & the mosquitos. I enjoy listening to the sound of nature.. but I'm so happy I brought my headphones because there's a gun range nearby which you constantly hear gunshots. There were TONS of helicopters flying above which seemed like every 20 minutes.. between that and the gun range it sounded like a World War. The mosquitos were also TERRIBLE in some spots. I mean, the last part of the hike I literally ran because of how bad it was. Stopped to tie my boots back up and couldn't believe all the mosquitos I seen landing on me. BUT.. there's a reason I did this trail twice and will most likely doing it again.. is because it does have some very beautiful scenery. Challenging in some areas, but definitely doable for anyone who's up for a hike.

Mosquitos were terrible. Don't go in summer.

the trail(s) were INCREDIBLY muddy today 6/14. still had a blast, and there and a handful of really fun descents. it's the perfect trail for a newb like me and I look forward to trying it again once it dries out.

Pretty wildflowers and very pleasant smells. Path was a bit muddy at times, and being so intertwined with the marsh, bugs were a persistent issue. Sadly, no good vistas of any of the lakes on the blue or white loops.

It was muddy in some areas but it wasn’t really a big deal. Other than that this was a really nice trail!

Great loop with some nice hills. We hiked in late March so it was a little muddy, but nothing too bad. The lakes are really pretty and the trails are well kept. I like that you can chose a few different lengths of trails. We did the 4.5 mile loop and it was perfect. Overall really beautiful place!

Good solid trail, great hiking year round.

Nice trail.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Mostly easy terrain- a few hills. Had to dodge a few mountain bikers. Pretty low traffic so very peaceful and pretty. Bald Mt is a huge park over 3 different sections so pay close attention to the various parking location for the trail.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Went on the White trail. Nice wooded trail with some little climbs and descents with lots of roots. I took my 8 year old son and he handled it well but at slow speeds. It would be fun to do this fast. Make sure to bring bug spray-we got eaten alive!

Sun May 27 2018

White trail was great. Nice elevation changes. We will definitely be back for the orange trail soon. If ticks are a concern for you, this is a great trail because its all woods...we got thhru without a single hitchhiker!

Thu May 17 2018

Orange Trail was awesome! Lots of wildlife, very quiet. Hard to believe you’re in metro Detroit at times. Highly suggested.

Thu Mar 15 2018

The orange loop was great, very beautiful!

Wed Mar 14 2018

Excellent trail system right in my own backyard. Love the orange loop, especially. Layout is perfect for hiking, biking, and cross country skiing. The paddling is incredible here too.

Sun Mar 04 2018

Great trail. Loop 1-6 was 3.5 miles. Mostly snow covered, some areas were muddy.

Thu Nov 16 2017

One of my favorite trails near metro Detroit. Lakes and elevation changes make for an interesting hike.

Thu Oct 26 2017

Beautiful trail with multiple lake views and elevation changes!!

Thu Oct 19 2017

One of my favorites close to the metro area. If you hit both loops it makes for an excellent day hike with some decent hills and views of some gorgeous lakes.

Sun Aug 20 2017

Nice loop feels off the map for a good portion of the hike. Some bikers so pay attention.

Sat Jul 08 2017

Mon May 15 2017

Quiet trail on a Monday, easy hike with a couple places for the dog to jump into streams. Clearly marked and well maintained. 3.3 mile loop.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Perfect day for a hike.

Sun Sep 04 2016

I couldn't even find the Bald Mountain Trail (it's in the Bald Mountain Recreation Park) we took today. Hence I post it under the one that's closest. If you follow the direction that AllTrails provides for you'll get to the other Bald Mountain trail. Take Greenshield Rd off 24 to get directly to the trail head. If you enter the park through the main entrance, you can park at the second or third to last parking lot and take a short trail that connects to the trail head. We took our dogs on a late Sunday afternoon. The trail is mostly wooded and an easy hike. You share the trail with bikers. We didn't see too many, so no big deal while we were there. You can extend or shorten your hike as you like, as there are many trails across.