Bald Eagle, Blue Heron, Muskrat and Mallard Loop Trail

Bald Eagle, Blue Heron, Muskrat and Mallard Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sumpter, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hardly anybody on trails was real nice.
Terrain was good (flat) but no issues.

Went on a 90 degree day (mid day) and the heat didn’t bother me, but some black flys ruined my run.

Had bug spray on, but that didn’t seem to help.

Think would be much better during a non-Black day attack aka different time of day or different season

Okay, I know that I’m spoiled by years on the AT and hiking near the Blue Ridge, but I never thought about how exciting the marshlands of NFla are compared to marshes elsewhere. No worries about alligators or wild horses or boars here. Like most of SE Michigan, this trail is flat, so I decided to call this one a walk rather than a hike despite the small pack on my back. The trail is well-maintained, though often quite muddy, and it’s cool to be among the reefs and the trees along the edge of the lake, but this is really set up better for dog walkers, day runners who want to escape the pavement, and ecologists or naturalists looking for swans, geese, and explorations of which green things grow back first after the ice melts. I’d have given the walk a 2.5-star rating, but that choice isn’t available, and my downward vote comes primarily from the fact that half the park has a view of the landfill hill only a half-mile away.

This man-made Marsh is a little know gem. Lovely wooden bridges and walkways connect to the trails. Not challenging, but a nice changes of pace.

Sunday, August 28, 2016