Learn more

Atwater Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kalamazoo, Michigan that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.0 mi Elevation gain 187 ft Route type Loop

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Al Sabo Preserve is an area of northeastern Texas Township, in southwestern Kalamazoo County, Michigan. It comprises 741 acres of marsh, forest, streams, and rolling hills. Numerous trails provide recreational opportunities throughout the Preserve.

Directions: From Texas Corners turn northeast onto Texas Drive. The preserve is 3/4 mile on the north side. There is no sign for the preserve, instead look for the Camp Roto Kiwan Boy Scout Camp. The preserve entrance is located just east of the camp.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (227)
Photos (104)
Recordings (211)
Completed (247)
Amy Alcenius
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike, but the trails are not well marked.

View Amy's Recording
Löwe DW
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
Bugs

Had a beautiful fire in the field and watched bats all night. A perfect spot.

View Löwe's Recording
Emily Reyes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 28 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

8/10

View Emily's Recording
Sherry Plangger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri May 22 2020

Nice trail

View Sherry 's Recording
Emily Reyes
HikingBugs

Beautiful and woodsy. However, it was quite busy (7pm-9pm) which is the only downside. It’s a preference though, I like calm and quite and not busy trails.

John Thome
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 07 2019
Hiking

Trails are poorly marked. Easy to get lost/go in circles. They need better signposts & maps and “you are here “ signs at intersections. Would be much better with those improvements.

Sydonie Stock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 05 2019
Hiking

This was a great hike for me and my dog. It was a mountain bike path, and we did have to step out of the way a few times, but most of the trail it was just me and the dog. The trails are not well marked but this app saved me from taking a wrong turn several times. I definitely recommend this trail.

View Sydonie's Recording
Annette Reggio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 25 2019
Hiking

Lots of interconnecting trails. Can be confusing.

View Annette's Recording
Amanda Rounds
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 08 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trails that are well maintained. There’s plenty of off-shoots from the main trail route to make your hike longer or shorter. The trails are not marked well, so I suggest using this app to guide you along.

Anirban Mallick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 26 2019
Hiking

Good short hike but poorly marked.

View Anirban's Recording
Mel C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 25 2019
Hiking

Went to this trail with my pups. Had a great time! Very little traffic and trails were easy to follow. Would highly recommend. Also, stopped by close by Portage for some good food and drinks at Latitude 42 Brewery.

Bonnie P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 17 2019
Hiking

It was my first time here, after seeing things online about the nature preserve - I wanted to go. My only complaint is the lack of signing on the trails. There may be 1 trail marker for every 10 trails that break off, and none of them identify “you are here” so it’s all a guessing game, as a biker pointed out. Having an autoimmune disease, my energy only lasts so long, so I have to plan accordingly. After encountering some other hikers and asking the shortest way back, they said the way I came from. Which was like an hour back. I seriously questioned whether I’d even make it back! Yes, I was lost for a while and just hoped for the best. I wasn’t smart enough to open my All Trails app, but I see now the trails are clearly marked on here. I’ll probably be going back now that I remembered the app! Trails were maintained and not difficult to hike. Everyone I encountered on the trails was friendly and tried to be helpful but most of them didn’t know where we were either. I didn’t get to see everything I wanted to, but I have never been so thankful to see my car after 2 hours of wandering around the woods!! I don’t really know what trail I was on, but at least part of it was this one

Paul Vugteveen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 05 2019
Hiking

poorly marked trails. some areas of the trail are narrow and difficult to share with bikers. this trail should be rated as easy.

Andria Rae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 28 2019
Hiking

Nice hike but the trails are poorly marked so it’s difficult to follow the trail you want to hike without constantly checking the map on your phone.

View Andria's Recording
Kris Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 03 2019
Mountain biking

Fun trail to ride with my boys 11 and 13 y/o, not real technical but a few short climbs, really pretty and trail in good shape. 30 minutes with a couple brief stops for water

Ann Poehlman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 01 2018

Have used this trail since 1979. Area has grown up around it but the trail still offers peaceful walks. Dog friendly.

Sarah G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 09 2018

Follow the lookout trail to the land bridge to cross over to the North hiking trails. No bikes allowed. Well marked trails with colored arrows but parts were pretty overgrown.

Sarah G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 28 2018

Pretty trails. Not super well marked, lots of off-shoots. Most of the time I wasn't actually on the official trails. The app kept me going in the right direction though!

Robert Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Mar 13 2018

Two friends and I did a shake-down hike here. Very beautiful but the trails were not marked very well. We got lost and had to navigate out. Trails are well-enough maintained but needs improvement with trail marking.

Cassie Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Mar 05 2018

Cool place! Today was my first time here. The trails weren’t marked properly, making it hard to figure out where to go. I will be back, my dog and I enjoyed it ☺️

David Parker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Dec 27 2017
Hiking

This is a very nice moderate trail. We spent about 2 hours today wondering through most of the preserve; nearly 6 miles of documented tracks. The system is not marked very well, but half the fun is getting lost. The fresh snow made this hike awesome. The scenery was fantastic. Great place to cross country ski, snowshoe, or hike after a fresh snowfall.

Andy Andy Bahk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 22 2017
Hiking

Few elevation changes here and there... scenery changes from deep forest with narrow lane to wider lane or to open prairie? In summary, enough changes in scenery to make it interesting for 5.3 confirmed hiking miles. I saw a white tailed deer, lots of chipmunks and white geese or swan. There is no washroom, no water fountain, no trash can and no markings on trails to tell you where you are.

Sam Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 15 2017

Fantastic hike with lots of trails for hiking and biking. Short trails in meadows and long ones in pine forests. Beautiful.

Jennifer Dulin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 06 2017

Got in a wonderful ten mile hike with a good friend :-) Beautiful place!!!

John Kallal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 23 2017
Hiking

Fun hike with some nice look outs. Take you're hammock and relax in the woods.

Brittany Mastenbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 20 2017

So many great lookout places and several trail heads to experience a new home every time!

Kodee Leach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 03 2017

I love going out to Al Sabo, it is actually the first place I started going to for hiking. I was taken back by the sheer beauty of the place, natural untouched. Everytime I go it feels like I'm on a different trail. great place to take your dogs- they'll have a blast!!

Andrew Lockwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 27 2017
Running

Trail markings hard to follow the first time, but great outdoor landscape to explore.

Kristen Moran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 18 2017

Beautiful network of trails. Several views overlooking lakes. Moderate terrain. Great for dogs. Just be careful. I would download a GPS map to mark your progress. I took a wrong turn and ended up on a different trail that took me a couple miles out of my intended way.