Atwater Loop Trail

Atwater Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kalamazoo, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Al Sabo Preserve is an area of northeastern Texas Township, in southwestern Kalamazoo County, Michigan. It comprises 741 acres of marsh, forest, streams, and rolling hills. Numerous trails provide recreational opportunities throughout the Preserve.

Beautiful trails that are well maintained. There’s plenty of off-shoots from the main trail route to make your hike longer or shorter. The trails are not marked well, so I suggest using this app to guide you along.

Good short hike but poorly marked.

Went to this trail with my pups. Had a great time! Very little traffic and trails were easy to follow. Would highly recommend. Also, stopped by close by Portage for some good food and drinks at Latitude 42 Brewery.

It was my first time here, after seeing things online about the nature preserve - I wanted to go. My only complaint is the lack of signing on the trails. There may be 1 trail marker for every 10 trails that break off, and none of them identify “you are here” so it’s all a guessing game, as a biker pointed out. Having an autoimmune disease, my energy only lasts so long, so I have to plan accordingly. After encountering some other hikers and asking the shortest way back, they said the way I came from. Which was like an hour back. I seriously questioned whether I’d even make it back! Yes, I was lost for a while and just hoped for the best. I wasn’t smart enough to open my All Trails app, but I see now the trails are clearly marked on here. I’ll probably be going back now that I remembered the app! Trails were maintained and not difficult to hike. Everyone I encountered on the trails was friendly and tried to be helpful but most of them didn’t know where we were either. I didn’t get to see everything I wanted to, but I have never been so thankful to see my car after 2 hours of wandering around the woods!! I don’t really know what trail I was on, but at least part of it was this one

poorly marked trails. some areas of the trail are narrow and difficult to share with bikers. this trail should be rated as easy.

Nice hike but the trails are poorly marked so it’s difficult to follow the trail you want to hike without constantly checking the map on your phone.

Fun trail to ride with my boys 11 and 13 y/o, not real technical but a few short climbs, really pretty and trail in good shape. 30 minutes with a couple brief stops for water

Have used this trail since 1979. Area has grown up around it but the trail still offers peaceful walks. Dog friendly.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Follow the lookout trail to the land bridge to cross over to the North hiking trails. No bikes allowed. Well marked trails with colored arrows but parts were pretty overgrown.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Pretty trails. Not super well marked, lots of off-shoots. Most of the time I wasn't actually on the official trails. The app kept me going in the right direction though!

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Two friends and I did a shake-down hike here. Very beautiful but the trails were not marked very well. We got lost and had to navigate out. Trails are well-enough maintained but needs improvement with trail marking.

Monday, March 05, 2018

Cool place! Today was my first time here. The trails weren’t marked properly, making it hard to figure out where to go. I will be back, my dog and I enjoyed it ☺️

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

This is a very nice moderate trail. We spent about 2 hours today wondering through most of the preserve; nearly 6 miles of documented tracks. The system is not marked very well, but half the fun is getting lost. The fresh snow made this hike awesome. The scenery was fantastic. Great place to cross country ski, snowshoe, or hike after a fresh snowfall.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Few elevation changes here and there... scenery changes from deep forest with narrow lane to wider lane or to open prairie? In summary, enough changes in scenery to make it interesting for 5.3 confirmed hiking miles. I saw a white tailed deer, lots of chipmunks and white geese or swan. There is no washroom, no water fountain, no trash can and no markings on trails to tell you where you are.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Fantastic hike with lots of trails for hiking and biking. Short trails in meadows and long ones in pine forests. Beautiful.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Got in a wonderful ten mile hike with a good friend :-) Beautiful place!!!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Fun hike with some nice look outs. Take you're hammock and relax in the woods.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

So many great lookout places and several trail heads to experience a new home every time!

Monday, July 03, 2017

I love going out to Al Sabo, it is actually the first place I started going to for hiking. I was taken back by the sheer beauty of the place, natural untouched. Everytime I go it feels like I'm on a different trail. great place to take your dogs- they'll have a blast!!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Trail markings hard to follow the first time, but great outdoor landscape to explore.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Beautiful network of trails. Several views overlooking lakes. Moderate terrain. Great for dogs. Just be careful. I would download a GPS map to mark your progress. I took a wrong turn and ended up on a different trail that took me a couple miles out of my intended way.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Fun trail, not marked very well.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

if you go behind Kvcc where the windmill is the trail is absolutely stunning. wear bug spray as summer.approaches

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Love taking the kids here to hike for a few miles.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Loved the trees and hills. Very busy on the weekends, but absolutely beautiful.

Monday, November 07, 2016

nice and wooded and very quiet and secluded

Sunday, October 23, 2016

very nice wooded hiking area, can be kind of busy on the weekend though

Sunday, April 03, 2016

such a great place

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

how was the caves ?

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Impossible to find for out of towner. Don't follow the directions on this site or use s map app. Finally found it off Texas Dr near Scout Rd.