Asylum Lake Trail

Asylum Lake Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kalamazoo, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Former site of the Kalamazoo mental hospital. Now WMU has turned this area into a wild life preserve. This boasts a very large lake, trails, and loads of wildlife.

Nice trail close to home. It can be quite busy at weekends. People don't always keep their dogs on a leash and - especially in winter - don't pick up after them! The walk around the lake is lovely and peaceful. Lots of bird life to see.

beautiful stream with bridge, great for a picnic.

My boyfriend and I go here all the time with our fur children. I don't know who enjoys it more: us or the dogs.

loved it. went off the main path along the lake. felt so refreshing to reconnect with nature.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

I love this place. I take my dog here all the time and she loves it too. The scenery is beautiful and I can't wait for everything to start turning green!!

Monday, September 07, 2015

This is a pleasant hike, with both wooded paths and prairie paths Some of the paths are gravel or remnants of old streets. There is a downloadable app which helps you find your way on the trails, and indicates points of interest: Asylum Lake Preserve app.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Nice , close to home. Trails not marked well once you leave the trailhead but you'll have no problem following them. I followed some wildlife paths ( human or otherwise) all the way around the lake with a short walk along Drake Rd.

Nice place, loaded with deer and raccoon. Bring bug spray.....all in all a nice fun quick jaun .