Woodland and Boulder Loops

Woodland and Boulder Loops is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Dartmouth, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Spanning hundreds of acres of protected beach, fields, woodlands, pond, and marsh, Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary was created by generous families who opted to conserve their land. Extensive trail systems offer ocean and pond views and afford visitors a full day of walking and birding. Explore 7 miles of trails through various habitats at Allens Pond. The Quansett Trail system offers visitors the opportunity to observe, interact with, and learn about the great diversity of habitats in the sanctuary. Visitors have many options to choose from including two western loops: one around a fresh pond, the other with a giant boulder to climb for treetop views. Two smaller loops provide east and west overlooks of the pond. The Allens Neck Trail system, located off Allens Neck Road in Dartmouth, MA offers 1.5 miles of trails along the Woodland and Boulder Loops. Visitors can wander through rich wetlands, across old pasture land and among giant boulders or pass vernal pools throbbing with fairy shrimp and tadpoles. Experience dramatic views of Allens Pond and Buzzards Bay via the Beach Loop Trail. Scan the saltmarsh for saltmarsh sparrows, herons and camouflaged shorebirds. Red cedar, bayberry, beach plum, and shadbush are native plants that thrive in this sandy coastal habitat. The loop follows the rocky shore at Buzzards Bay and returns via the sheltered salt marsh.

My husband and I used the GPS linked to this site which brought us to a small lot at the wood land loop. This trail was not the best trail I've been on...very overgrown! And not well marked. I see there are other trails but we didn't know how to get to them. I wouldn't waste your time on the woodland loop trail.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Friday, June 24, 2016

We did this location for a scout hiking/bird study location. The woodland/Boulder trail was pretty dense (especially woodland) so locating birds was not easy. The trail was pretty short so getting a 10 mile hike in was not in order. I'm sure we could have gotten a 10 milers in across all trails then continuing the hike down to gooseneck.

The beach trail is wide open and great for birding. We came across a group of birders who shared their sighting with us.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Easy marked trail. pretty flat and well maintained. I helped with the clean up after Sandy. Short drive from UMD.