Whitehall Reservoir Loop

Whitehall Reservoir Loop is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hopkinton, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

partially paved

A loop hike around the reservoir starting from the boat launch.

Fun moderate trail that’s a little sparsely marked in spots, needed to pay attention more than I’m used to.

Great hike! The map was definitely helpful in a few spots where I started to go the wrong way, but overall I would definitely recommend!

bridge out

Came here the other day to hike with my dogs, and it was great! Gorgeous trail, but it was very narrow- I was constantly brushing against the bushes/undergrowth, so I recommend a thorough tick check after getting back. I didn’t complete the full loop because I’m recovering from a broken toe, but walked a few miles out and then turned around. Can’t wait to come back and do the full hike!

bridge out

I ran this today and boy was it tougher than I anticipated. My tracker said 7.3 miles and also gained 509 ft of elevation. Took me and hour and 9 minutes to do the full loop. Normally on the road I can average 7:15-7:30 pretty regularly but today it was 9:33. Great trail, pretty easy to follow and I will definitely do it again.

I did this a week ago, it was amazing! Easy to go off the trail in some spots but the offshoots don't really go anywhere. There is a confusing spot where you have to walk down a road for a water treatment facility. The trail continued behind the second building. Also the old hotel ruins are out there, not much left but there's a couple things and you can read about it. Sick people used to stay there and drink from the mineral springs. Weird. Anyway it's a fun hike. I only saw one other person on the trail the whole 5 hours I was there. It was a great experience. Happy Hiking!!

There are couple of places where the trail is not marked clearly. Definitely bring a map and bug spray!

Was mostly shaded, which was nice. Definitely need the bug spray. All dogs we saw were on leashes. Beautiful views. A little steep some places, but overall a great hike. Took us (2 adults, 1 dog) 4 hours.

Whitehall is my favorite local hike, two days in a row I’ve managed to spot a Bald Eagle! How cool is that!

May 27 - took the full 7 mile loop and always enjoy this trail. It’s not too challenging, is well marked (except for one or two areas where you’ll quickly realize you’ve missed a turn if you walk clockwise), and has some great views of Whitehall Reservoir. Bugs were manageable.

I love this trail. Pretty easy hike, some muddy areas because of the rain. Very well marked, and peaceful. Not too buggy, can get a little washed out with all the rain we’ve had. Really great for the dogs.

Great loop with some steep slopes. We went in mid April and it was already getting buggy but overall a great path to tire out the dogs before heading to the mendon drive in!

Not sure why people had such a hard time staying on the trail, its filled with yellow blazes and the trail is pretty warn in. Pretty easy hike, took me 4 hours going slow and enjoying the views with a 30 minute lunch break. Only down side is there are a lot of houses (mansions) on the trail but other than that its a good trail. Also, ignore the blue trail markers i think those are old ones that are replaced by yellow blazes.

Well marked trail. Had no issues following the yellow trail blazes.

Update to my review from 6 days ago. I finally did the whole thing, my tracker said 7.5 miles and it took 2:49 hiking at a good pace. I had never been to the east coast of the lake before, and boy is it wretched. Many of the markings are faded and difficult to spot, if they exist at all. There are a few streams without bridges, and tons of downed trees and brush blocking the paths. Lots of muddy paths with brambles all around. Not fun, but if you get through that part with dry shoes the south/west/north of the lake is a nice trek.

I've only hiked about 3 miles of the north and western sides, but it's very nice around this time of year. Getting a bit lost I came upon an adorable cove with a grey heron flying not more than 100 yards away. A few days later I found another spot with 2 swans swimming together. The air is crisp and the colors are out. There are lots of downed trees and brush blocking the path from the winds, but it's easy enough to kick aside or step over. It rained heavily a few days ago and due to the leaves falling off the trees and the cool weather it hasn't dried well, be careful of slipping in mud or stepping in puddles. If there isn't much wind then you will hear highway traffic noise while you are on the north part of the trail. Once you get towards the southern half of the lake it gets nice and quiet and aside from walking by people's backyards occasionally you feel like you are out in the woods. There are spots where the path is confusing, I would not recommend trying to do the whole thing in one go without at the very least a good map. Or you can do what I'm doing and just explore it one bit at a time, walking down every path, discovering cool shortcuts and spending time enjoying the wonderful out of the way hills, outcroppings, coves and capes. Note to Bob Simek - the granite thing on the west side is an artifact left from 'Hopkinton Springs' of which no photos exist. Next time you are by that stone bridge look around, you should be able to spot the placards which explain it all. It includes a map of which artifacts are where, although some are covered in leaves this time of year.

A quick note to Liz Tosti - Liz, weren't you using your AllTrails app? It can be quite confusing hiking around the reservoir although it looks easy on a map. That's why you have the app on your phone and a download of the trails so you can navigate. I know what you're saying though, last time I was here I had a map only and did a 7 or 8 mile loop where this time I was looking to streamline things and got it down to 6.6 miles. Bring the app with you, use it to navigate, it's fun that way and you don't get lost and you get to see the stuff you like. My trail run this day was great, enjoyed every minute of it BUT did have to reference the AT map frequently to stay on course. I need to figure out what that granite thing is over on the west side of the lake. Maybe I'll call the historical society and ask.