Whitehall Reservoir Loop

Whitehall Reservoir Loop is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hopkinton, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

A loop hike around the reservoir starting from the boat launch.

In all fairness I was warned with all the reviews mentioning the lack of markings! I guess I didn’t expect it to be sooo poorly marked. The hike was beautiful. I’ve never seen so many colorful mushrooms. However it was truly unbelievable how poorly marked the trail was. It started out with yellow trail markings that at time became completely blue markings only to return to yellow. Many times at mentioned (we ended up in the field too) as a matter of fact we ended up going on a neighborhood street and met a gentleman who said he always meets people at the same point who are also lost. We definitely bushwhacked several times. All in all we hike 8 miles.

I was excited upon reading about this Trail around the reservoir. we started off in the parking lot where the boats put into the water at the boat ramp there was a trail marked with a yellow marker painted yellow so we file that for maybe a mile or two then all the sudden the trail went blank so I went back over the trail that I just gone on to find a part that I may have missed or turn I may have missed and there were none no markers of any kind no indication of where I was going except I could see the reservoir to my left side so I just kept walking on a trail that was between the water and the many houses that were lining the reservoir. Reservoir is not 6 miles around 8 miles plus and even more if you get off of the trail and have to walk on the road.

So we hooked up back to the trail again and went through a portion of the trail that was elevations going up and down and up and down all good footing but definitely not an easy climb. then we came out into an open field no markers whatsoever no idea where to go except the GPS on my phone so I walked in that direction and ran into the path in somebody's backyard continued walking and got about three-quarters of the way around the reservoir and lost the path again no markings know anything so I was walking through the woods just trees everywhere no path just bushwhacking it through the woods to get near the water where the trail look like on the GPS. never found it so went out on the road follow the road cat making left's which filed Reservoir back to the parking lot.

I enjoyed the hike very much great scenery of the reservoir and all the inlets even encountered a 7 ft long garter snake with a frog in its mouth it jumped out at me while I was walking on the path but relax they are non poisonous. I think the comment by someone earlier that said that people mark this Trail who would never hiked before is very true it would be a great place if it was well marked. a great Trail great scenery get the trail marked

Love this trail

This was marked by someone who has never hiked. I don’t have any other explanation. The first time I went around I got off trail about 4 times I had to backtrack and by the end lost the trail completely, ended up on someone’s driveway and took that out. I thought I could go the opposite way to see where I went wrong and instead ended up taking a big circle back to the parking lot.
I have been hiking for over 30 years and never had a more frustrating experience than this loop. The blue seems what you follow when you start and then the yellow comes out of nowhere. There are probably 50-100 trails that branch off for access from peoples homes.
I wanted to love this because it’s so close to home but it’s awful and I’ll only ever go back for kayaking.

Awesome

The trail is scenic and its around 8 miles. Follow the yellow markings on trees as the trails are not marked well. Shoutout to the app the map and gps tracking helped us. There are too many mosquitoes, carry insect repellant and hiking gear.

Great hiking trail but is definitely NOT 6.6 miles! It's 8 miles give or take and 3 hours around. The view of the lake is beautiful! Wear hiking boots because you go thru muddy wet terrain.

I really enjoyed this hike. I agree with the others, it is closer to an 8 mile walk, not 6. It was over 3.5hours to walk it. A few tricky spots over muddy creeks but probably due to recent rain.

Very pleasant hike, will definitely be back! According to my tracker, the trail was 7.6 miles.

nice walk around the lake. very good marked with yellow signs

Gorgeous water views all the way around. Plan on 3+ hours, it is definitely longer than 6 miles. You are almost always with in sight of a house or road, you are not out alone in nature. We saw one park ranger and one other group of hikers the whole way around. Despite all the houses it was very peaceful (in February).

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Great day hiking with 14 Chinese ladies together,total 3 hours, more than 8 miles walk

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Nice hike with pretty views of the water. At one point the trail dropped off and I couldn't find where it picked back up so I just turned back around. Went on a Tuesday evening there were very few people.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Very long trail. But views and trail itself are great. We started around 2.30 and were done by 7. We made short stops on the way.

Monday, August 14, 2017

That was a great hike Saturday... started at 1 PM and got through about 5:45 PM... I'm not blaming mosquitoes on the location (we should have used the bug spray).... I don't think my friend could do the full trail again.. she stated she would go for an hour in and then hour back next time.. perfect day and nice hike to burn

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Definitely plan on an 8.5+ hike.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Nice hike around a lake, Trails are quite easy and if stay in yellow trail you can't get lost. Decent shade on a hot day. Would give 5 stars if mosquitos weren't so bad . Will come back when a little cooler and bugs are gone

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Great run although the mileage was closer to 8 miles. Probably due to some sections being poorly marked. Beautiful views of lake throughout.

Friday, December 30, 2016

This trail is amazing!!! Beautiful views of the water and easy and clear trails. Every once in a while you walk by an opening into the water and get to see your progress around the reservoir. Absolutely amazing and I recommend it 100%

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

This trail is so nice, you sometimes walk almost on the lake ;) even though parts of it are very close to some houses it is really a pleasant hike! We did the loop and enjoyed it a lot.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

I'm giving this trail 2 stars probably more out of my own personal feelings about why I hike to begin with. I like to get on a trail and leave society behind for a few hours. This trail is nice and well kept (except for blazes, which I'll get to in a minute), but it's too close to roads and houses to ever truly get in the woods. Part of the trail follows a road, while other parts literally have you walking behind homes. It's not what I like, so maybe that's just me. The trail is poorly blazed. I actually got lost a few times and ended up in neighborhoods. There's an area that you will exit the woods to a pump house and from there you're on your own to find where the trail picks up. In all it was a good walk, a decent workout but not my type of place.

Friday, July 15, 2016

it was a nice trail, easy-moderate though sometimes the markings were poor and wound up walking through someone's backyard until we realized we went off the trail somehow. you do actually walk behind someone's house at the beginning though which made it confusing.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Lots of fun. Definitely needed a ton of bug repellent. Lots of great spots to sit for lunch/breaks.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Trail markings on first third ok get better

Monday, April 18, 2016

Really peaceful and quiet. I loved it!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

trail is pretty easy to follow but not very well marked. there aren't any big boats on the lake and not many houses around the shore either. very peaceful hike! I have also gone kayaking here a few times. really nice islands and channels in the back of the lake.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Awesome hike. Will be back!! ❤️

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Pretty location, peaceful trail. Single track and lots of rocks and roots, so slow going for a trail run. Blue blaze all around - only 2 spots not well marked, but if you start going away from the water, you know you're wrong.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Thank you for sharing the wonderfully beautiful pictures. I really enjoyed soooo much, I felt as though I was there.