White Hall Road and Park Road Loop

White Hall Road and Park Road Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Upton, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very nice winter hike. I altered the route and was glad I did. Instead of coming back on Park Loop Road, I took the Whistling Cave Trail. Besides being able to see the Whistling Cave, this trail was much less traveled and has a more rustic vibe. There are a few small brooks you have to cross when the water is higher . There are some beautiful rock formations there too! PS wear some micro spiked if going in the winter. There are some icy areas.

Awesome so much to see...no problems with bugs...so pleasant...my little dogs didn't make it too far but we did the Mamoth Rock so I was happy...i will be back!!!

Wonderful spot . Took Middle Road to Dean Pond .Nice shade .Awesome rock structures. Pond is lovely. Accidentally came back on Park Road which is less scenic and less shade. Plus 1/2 of Park Road is almost all uphill . Nice dry trails. Would come again

Explored the main loop of the forest and checked out the whistling "cave". Easy, well-marked hike recommended for those with dogs or small children.

Gorgeous day to be hiking, and a lovely park to do it in! A little muddy in some spots, but overall great trails and well-marked.

Well maintained trail with lovely scenery.

Monday, November 21, 2016

I hunt here and the woods are beautiful. Tons or wildlife to watch and observe and lots of trails that are great for walking and hiking.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Nice hike. Two beaver huts.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I have hiked here for years. A few years ago they made it on leash for dogs which I personally think is great for the main trail which is the one most travelled. I take some of the small out of the way trails and will unleash there. I maybe run into a few hikers a few times a year on the off trails. The big loop is wonderful to run on and isn't horribly tough as long as you go right at the main fork. I made the mistake the 1st time of taking the left in the fork and ended up walking up 'that hill'. You only make that mistake once lmao Quiet area but can be a bit buggy during that time of year or towards dusk. Still one of my favorite places to hike though.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

great to take dogs and Mountain biking

Monday, June 20, 2016

Beautiful day for a hike. The last mile was tough. Almost enough to make it "moderate"?

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Terrific! Can't wait to return.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Nice trails. Got there at dusk, a little buggy. Saw a hawk and two owls!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Wonderful wide trails, pretty woods and pond. Good hill exercise!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Nice, open trails. Giant hill was unexpected.

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Beautiful trails. HUGE hill at the 2 mile mark that I was NOT ready for. Next time I will do it in reverse and start out going to the left. Dean pond is gorgeous. Worth the effort

Saturday, July 25, 2015

My first time out. Much harder than I thought! HUGE hill at the 2 mile mark. Turned into a part hike. At first, a dragonfly landed on me and I thought I had a chance..... Nope. All in all.... A good experience. Will come back now that I know what to expect.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Use the loop trail 3-4 times a week. Love it. Peaceful, clean, easy walk. Took Nuthatch Trail with my husband last weekend. It has some spots with hills...great workout. Also snow shoe there in the winter. Well marked....maps and parking available. A GREAT SPOT

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Took my 8 month Viszla/Pit mix on 3.3. Finn had a great time. Nice size trails and peaceful. Going back to checkout other trails.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Excellent trails to walk with dog. Wide, so less likely to get ticks on you.
Note: This park is Dogs Must be leashed. I was walking with my dog (leashed) on Sat. 8/9/14 and a German Shephard came out of nowhere and attacked my dog (we were on Whitehall Rd trail). The attach drew blood! I was hollering and quite scared. Two joggers came by about 3 minutes later and the dog resumed his run with them. Neither of these 2 men called the dog over or acknowledged that their dog had attached mine. Boy was I and am I totally pissed. This is very ignorant behavior. Please beware of this German Shepherd off leash with Runners.

Friday, August 01, 2014

Unbearably buggy. Could not move stop without being bombarded.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Had a great day at this state forest. I took the Loop Road to the Middle Road, then to Whistling Cave. Whistling Cave ends on Park Rd (not really roads, wide everyone type paths). I then took Park around to the Nuthatch trail, back to Loop Road to finish off. Was about 5.5 miles. Had a few hills, one decent hill. Had to work my way over some streams (early spring). It was lovely.

Monday, December 09, 2013

3 rd and last time I will go to upton had a great hike walked all the other trails in the middle great place to hike with a dog but off to bigger parks next week walked over 6 miles Sunday

Friday, November 29, 2013

The dog and I Had a great hike at sun up Thanksgiving morning 4.5 miles . Met some nice people along the way

Monday, November 25, 2013

Walked with the dog 1st time this weekend 18deg could not have been better. I will be back to try all the other trails

Friday, October 04, 2013

very nice trail system with a good variety of trails. trail markers on secondary trails not so good. but very clean and worth the trip

Friday, May 31, 2013

Ride along with Schatzie the Mountain Biking Dog @ Upton State forest

Watch here:

Monday, April 22, 2013

I didn't have the highest hopes for an extended hike at Upton State Forest as all the reviews I read were for hikes around 3.5 miles. I was very pleasantly surprised. I hiked Rabbit Run Trail (across Ridge Rd and Westboro Rd) to Old Hopkington Spring Trail to Mammoth Rock Trail to Loop Road to Hawk trail to Warbler Trail to Swamp Trail back to the parking for a total of 5.5 miles. You could easily have continued hiking and done an 8 mile hike there. The trails seem to roll through the woods with no serious inclines but a lovely meandering path alongside old rock walls. Nothing was in bloom yet, but I cannot wait to go back in the summer - I expect it will be spectacular. Mammoth Rock was just that - Mammoth! It's a great location for a picnic or a break to freshen up and stretch.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

I took advantage of the warmer weather and took this trail. If you follow the gpx track it is just over 4 miles. The posted Dean pond loop is 3.3 but this track goes off of the posted loop and follows a couple of other side trails down by the pond. It was a good walk overall. At the SW corner of the pond I found the old dam and a Geocache while I was there.
I updated the trailhead coordinates since the original took me to the opposite side of the forest just south of Whitehall Reservoir.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Trail is mostly packed snow, some icy spots where a snow mobile came through tore it up, and the froze. The pond is frozen solid (supported my weight but I wouldn't try ice skating on it). Good easy trail, lots of cross country skiers, snow shoers and dog walkers out.