Whipple Hill Reserve is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lexington, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 252 feet Route Type: Loop

Great day to hike - this hike was pretty easy - ran some but could have done more. Lot of trails that branch off here and there so I had to go back a few times. The pond was very beautiful. Not much mud at all.

This was a great place for a family to hike if there weren’t so many dogs running free. There are many splits on the road that aren’t marked that were fun for exploring. My only complaint were the 8 plus dogs off leash. First off- I love dogs and grew up with them. My 5-year-old is very fearful and this just added to it. The first one we encountered bolted at me barking and showing his teeth and wouldn’t leave despite his owner’s multiple attempts to get him to return. I understand owners like to have dogs off leash but they should be at least trained to not bolt toward people. The other dogs came up close to my kids and because of Coronavirus, the owners can’t come close to collect the dog. I told each owner my daughter was scared but they’d mostly say the dog was friendly. One couple called the dog and put him on a leash so we could cross. We were thrilled! My kids know not to approach dogs without asking so they shouldn’t be put in a position to have dogs coming right up to them. Also, don’t forget that dogs are face to face with young children so imagine an animal as big as you in your face. A horse running up to you maybe? Obviously the leash law isn’t reinforced here.

Good trails. A lot of dog walkers & a few mountain bikes but not too crowded last 2 weeks we were there.

Some find it very hard to practice physical distancing on this trail. heads up!

Nice trail! Muddy in spots. Can be easy to get turned around.

flooded

Decent trail and close by. Wooded and kind of rolling. If you have an hour or two, this is a good place,

It was so fun there was so many trail so fun

icy

icy

Great low key winter walk, took about an hour and fifteen minutes. Warm December day of almost 50°F. A little muddy and icy but super manageable. Accessible by public transit too, only about 15 min walk from the 77 drop off in Arlington heights. I did a mix of the red, green and yellow paths, did not stay consistently in one but mainly stuck to the red blazes. Nice view from the summit despite not being that elevated. Would love to come back for a trail run.

Rocky and steep trails. following red and yellow rails will be fine for a loop run. Good afternoon short run as workout.

My favorite hiking loop in the Arlington-Belmont-Lexington area. After the fall, the rocky hilltop has views West to Mount Wachusett, and East to the skyline in Boston. The whole trail is forested, passing rock walls and a seasonally-running creek. A little glen just beneath the hilltop and above the pond has 15-25 ft. schist faces which are great to scramble around on. Except for the section along the stream the loop is pretty steep, but you can still keep a decent pace while trail running. From the lakes you can detour another .25 mile to the Wright Locke farm to see the goats and the berry pickin' fields.

Thu Aug 09 2018

Nice hike, but it was extremely buggy today. Definitely bring your bug spray. Nice hike for kids and dog. Most of the trail is marked, but some parts aren't so be aware.

Mon Jul 23 2018

this is my kids favorite local hike! They call it the "haunted woods". If you are bringing kiddos follow the yellow arrows you will come to "the great climbing tree" the "stairs to nowhere" and the abandoned car (1952 Packard). Lots & lots of unleashed dogs but all we have encountered thru the years are super friendly along with the owners :) truly a beautiful place to explore & walk

Tue Feb 13 2018

Lots of different terrain. Due to its close proximity to us, we go there a lot so the dog can run around and swim. On clear days, especially when the trees are bare, you can see Mounts Wachusett and Monadnock from the summit. It’s easy to get lost if you don’t know your way around, new trails occasionally pop up. Luckily, the blazing, signage, and overall quality of the conservation area have improved over the last few years.

Sun Jan 28 2018

Nice little loop trail, no summit to speak of but a pond and some rocky outcroppings. Easy and quick.

Sun Sep 03 2017

Really wonderful area, feel like you are in the backcountry right in the middle of lexington.

Sat Sep 10 2016

So many bugs :-( but it was also humid that day in August so... Not our favorite but we will try it again another time.

Sat Apr 09 2016

The paths are well worn and easy to follow. Good for a convenient local walk.

Sat Apr 06 2013

A decent trail for a quick walk. Right near my house. I often trail run this as well. The climb up Whipple hill is nice and the view is refreshing.