Wachuset Mountain via Bolton Pond, Semuhenna, and Old Indian Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(113)
Wachusett Mountain State Reservation

Wachuset Mountain via Old Mountain Trail and Semuhenna Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Princeton, Massachusetts that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,095 feet Route Type: Loop

This was a gorgeous hike to do in mid-april. It was a Saturday and wasn't too crowded even with coronavirus cabin fever. We felt like we had the trail to ourselves most of the time. I am glad we veered right to do the loop because I'd rather climb up the steepest part than down.

flooded

very wet and muddy

icy

hard packed snow and a little icy. glad I had the crampons. snow was not deep enough for snowshoes. Indian trail crossed several active ski slopes so watch for cross traffic. enjoyed the hike!

Completed Feb 15 at 18 degrees and sunny. Whole trail was covered in snow, but it was packed down, not slippery, and easy to follow. Very scenic and loved the incline. Great final climb to the summit, got me out of breath. Little windy on top, that’s the most slippery part: crampons are not necessary right now, but could be in different conditions.

Awesome hike. Nice shade and terrain. Nice stops at Bolton Pond and Balancing Rock. Took 2.5 hours including our 30 minutes at the summit. Lots of dogs! Trail markings could be better but we never got too lost! The trail names don’t always match what is listed here but by recording the route and grabbing a map at the trail head we were all set.

Beautiful hike, heavily shaded. Muddy in areas and definitely need bug spray. Took us about 3 hours with a 20 minute stop at the summit. Dog included :) haha

very pleasant.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Went up Old Indian and down Harrington/Semuehanna. A nice hike, not too long, but steep and rocky enough toward the top to offer some challenge. Semuehanna was less heavily trafficked than Old Indian. Definitely muddy in places.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Nice trail, was very wet due to the recent rains, but not too bad on the way up. Great views at the top. We took the Summit Down road then Pine Hill trail going down and stopped at the visitor center.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Great hike to end a day. I went up Old Indian Trail and down Harrington. It was very slippery and I would probably go up Harrington next time. I brought my dog and he had a little difficulty going down the steep rocks on Harrington. Watch out for the mosquitoes near Bolton Pond. Short hike but has those few spots you can push yourself and get the heart rate up.

Wed Mar 14 2018