Tippling Rock & Fords Folly

Tippling Rock & Fords Folly is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Sudbury, Massachusetts and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Out & Back

For most of the trail you will be following the Bay Circuit Trail - Section 8. From parking lot follow salamander trail until BCT junction. Continue straight entering BSA reservation. Follow ridge and bear right to Tippling Rock - good views of the north of Boston on clear days. Continue on the Bay Circuit Trail - white rectangular blazes. Cross Brimstone Lane (you will see a parking lot there) and re-enter the woods. Walk northwest on this trail. At the first, and second intersections turn left. At this point you will be leaving the BCT for a trail that will conduct you to a dam. This dam is known as Ford's Folly, as it was built by Henry Ford, but it failed to hold water. After you reach the area, you can return via the same trail system, or you can decide to take a walk to the Nobscot Mountain, and return via another of the numerous trails in this area.

Really boring hike except for Tippling Rock where there was a nice view. Really really buggy even with Deep Woods Off. We hiked all the way to Fords Folly and on the way the trail was almost completely overgrown in several places which was really unpleasant. Tick-land. Not sure what fords folly was in the past but now it’s just a high cement corridor with a fence and woods on either side with a surprise inside—a bees nest! My boyfriend got stung by 3 bees. We could not want to get off a trail faster and never do return. I assume most of these good reviews are locals grateful to have a place to walk a dog. Not worth the trip

Finding the parking lot was a little tricky. Parts of this trail are very overgrown so definitely triple check for ticks and bring bug spray unlike me who always forgets it. If you do the whole loop it's more like 5 miles but otherwise very enjoyable. There are also wild blueberries everywhere!

This was my first trail using this app. I had a little trouble finding it initially (and the parking area) but once I did, my dog and I had a great time!! This area had a lot of different trail options, so we will definitely go back. Also, we didn’t see a lot of other people, so it was really peaceful. Most of the trail was really well shaded. I did get a little lost, but the trails were well marked, I just wasn’t paying attention. I was going through a lot of things in my head. A few hard climbs, but mostly pretty flat.

Peaceful walk in the woods to a beautiful view. A little buggy in the shade. Our first time here- trails a little difficult to follow but will definitely be back.

Ups and downs. Early on season, but plenty more to see.

Beautiful spring day for a hike. Frogs were very active in the small ponds along the trails. The weather was great, a warm breeze, slight overcast and little mud made for an easy enjoyable trek through the forest.

A nice trail and well marked which is greatly appreciated.

A wonderful hike . Great views from Tippling Rock . Can see Boston . Parked on Rt 20 in Sudbury. About 20 mins to Rock .Warning - did discover a tick on my hand . Warm weather is awakening them

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Nicely defined trails with a few uncleared portions from winter blow-downs. Took a wider loop back to the car (past the Nobscot camp) with a couple of clear views of the Boston skyline. Not too much mud for this time of year. Great little hike.

Friday, June 08, 2018

only had an hour - quick walk in woods to Tippling Rock and back - nice view, nice trails, lady slippers along the way

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

great Trails, nice hills and a view at tipling rock, dog friendly but on leash.

Friday, September 01, 2017

pretty nice trail! There is a lot to see if you like nature! From birds, different types of trees, flowers.ferns. There are many trails to take. I brought my little dog with me and we had a blast. There are signs posted along the trails no horses allowed. Lol Dogs on leash are welcome!!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Pretty boring and not very scenic

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Great spot for a short day hike. Tippling Rock has awesome views and on a good day you can see Boston. Hiking to the cell towers in addition to this makes for a good day. There are many trails here and you can easily come back and mix things up without worrying about venturing to far into the unknown. Nobscott is also a great spot for snow shoeing and I was even able to bag a fun downhill ski line on the steep slopes below the towers this winter.

Monday, January 16, 2017

The view from Tippling Rock is worth it, and Ford's Folly (south of Brimstone Lane) is fun to see.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Well marked and varied terrain. Lots of dogs and some bikes.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Nice walk with kids.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Great trails to do with kids, we love it!

Friday, April 22, 2016

The Tipping Rock was awesome. I loved the landscape. It was an easy trail for the kids.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

great local hike with views of Boston to the east, Mt. Wachusett's to the west....

Friday, May 02, 2014

Tippling Rock is a large Granite Boulder. It was split by my Grandfather. He did it using a 'star drill bit'. A star drill is a piece of steel about 14" long. At one end it is shaped into a cross and each of the edges of the cross are sharpened into a chisel shape. You place the cross on the rock and pound on it with a hammer, turning it back and forth as you go. If you have an assistant you have them pour water into the hold to flush out the bits of rock. The process drills a hole the width of the cross into the rock. He then poured water into each of the holes he had made and then pounded pegs into the holes. The water pressure built up inside the holes as the pegs were forced into them splitting the boulder.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I like the trail alot. It's not that hard to follow the trail just look for the single white markers. Double markers indicate a junction! It's a great hike from the Tippling Rock parking lot to Nobscott Hill. Walk it at a quick pace and you'll get a good workout! No GPS needed, just follow the markers and the trail. I've walked it multiple times and enjoyed it lots.