South and North Monoonsnoc Hill Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(19)
Leominster State Forest

South and North Monoonsnoc Hill Loop is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leominster, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Loop

Although this trail is rated moderate I would say it is easy with a few slightly more challenging spots. One section of the trail is on the power lines which isnt the most beautiful but most of it is woodsy and quiet. Its a mix of wide atv style trails & single track trails. Definitely needed to pull out the all trails app several times and even doing that I went the wrong way several times. Not the most exciting hike but a good easy escape in the woods!

flooded

I have to say I didn’t hike this trail as much as I waded it on 3/24/2020. The smaller side trails were a bit tricky to find in spots due to the recent snow but I quickly figured out that if there was standing (or running) water, that was the trail. By the end my boots were completely saturated and I didn’t even bother to stick to the dryer trail edges. I was glad I had my poles else I might have slipped and fallen several times. You’re going to need to wait at least 3-4 weeks if you’re hoping to keep your ankles dry. Not much in the way of views but trails seem mostly wide and well-groomed and there’s decent elevation to give you a workout.

flooded

icy

Fri May 31 2019

I decided to explore somewhere new today! Fantastic trail system. u wish I could have done the whole loop, but I had to get back before the school bus. I will be back!

Fri Mar 01 2019

Trail is really pretty if you enjoy nature. Would recommend winter hikers bringing crampons just in case! I would do it again to explore more elevation since it was very flat on the trail we took.

Fri Feb 22 2019