Skyline Trail Loop

Skyline Trail Loop is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Medford, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Conveniently close to the city. Started at Bellevue pond and was able to pick up a map at the trail head- very helpful! Trail markers were mostly visible. however a few times I had to really search for them, but they were there. Good up and down mix. Definitely recommend. Was able to finish in 3.5 hrs.

Not too far from the city, great views of the skyline. Not too crowded, even on a gorgeous not-too-hot July Saturday. Ended up getting lost near Bear Hill but was able to find the trail again (it was a little annoying having to pull out the map/phone).

great trail! there is everything I like. you have rocks, roots, singletrack, wider paths, great view from Wrights Tower. marked well. I didn't miss any mark during my first run there.

Enjoyed the diversity in elevation gain and descends. Agree that it is isolated however there are parts of the trail that intersect with others where we found ourselves yielding to cyclists. It was not too rocky. With a few tiny detours the hike ended up over 8 miles. Signage is sparse about two thirds of you hike counter clockwise. Hiked with a 21 lb backpack to train and hiked the trail in a little over 4 hours. Started on the trail at 5:40am to avoid the heat on the 4th of July and found myself faced with lots of relentless mosquitos despite repeated big spray application on my neck and hat. Long sleeves suggested. Despite bugs and some small lost moments, I really enjoyed the trail and feeling surrounded by forest. No real views but quiet and totally zen. Would hike it again!

So here’s the deal on the skyline loop trail (as of 6/2018): It’s a fun trail, nice that it’s so close to the city and the suburbs, but is mostly isolated. That being said, there are significant portions on the trail where the signage is either unclear or non-existent, which makes for an unpleasant experience, we had to pull out my phone to check the map and ensure we were still on course multiple times - I’d rather not be on my smartphone all the time on a hike. The trail markings are also inconsistent, with markings on trees and the ground regardless of whether you’re above the tree line or not. As a rule I think markings should be on trees below the tree line and on the ground above the tree line. Now only about 20-30% of the trail is like this, so for the most part it was fine. Overall, a nice trail but nothing memorable.

I run at the Fells frequently and Skyline is a good trail. Not marked that well in some spots as you get to the southern end of it. Definitely keep your pace expectations in check. Very technical in some spots so it leans on the more difficult side of "moderate" if you are running it for time. Probably the best trail in the Fells for a challenging hike.

The classic here, nothing amazing but still worth doing if you can't get out of the city. The tower overlooking the city south, or up north, are the highlights

I’m new to backpacking and I am in training for bigger ,longer hikes. This trail is serving me well. It has many ascents and descents as well as ledge. Well marked . It is taking me between 4-41/2 hours depending on size of my pack.

Lots of variety. Beautiful trail without too much traffic on a Saturday.

Great train, light traffic, can be done in parts, if you tire out just take a fire road close to it.

Great and local. Wish I knew about it when I was younger.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Great trail! Very well marked.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Took a fantastic break from the city walking this trail. Highly recommend to anyone who doesn't have time to go very far but needs to get outside

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Loved it! Actually a trail that gets your heart going. Took 4-5 hours with breaks and pups in tow. About half was up and down hills.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great if you live in the city and need a midweek break from the chaos and crowds. Not very challenging terrain but enough to get the blood flowing and break a sweat. Planes flying overhead were a bit of a bummer so if you're looking to get some true peace and quiet, may not be the place for you. But I'll definitely head over during the week days!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great moderate hike in the middle of the city! The terrain is rolling and can be rugged at times. The trail for the most part is clearly marked but there are some areas where you won't see a trail marker for a bit and you just have to wing it. There are some great views of Boston from Wright Tower. It is a great place to go if you want some solitude, I ran into very few people on my hike.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Great hike near the city. You can make it long or short. Excellent view!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Skyline Trail can be accessed via the South Border Road Parking Lot near Bellevue Pond. The parking lot is small and fills up quickly on weekends. You can see a view of the city from Wright's Tower at the beginning of the hike. Because of the number of trails crossing one another within the Middlesex Fells, there are plenty of opportunities to turn down the wrong trail, so keep a close eye on markers and grab a map at the trailhead. On the easier side of moderate, but definitely a good workout.