Shelburne Fire Tower

Shelburne Fire Tower is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,049 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail was well kept with a few rocky areas, great for moderate hikers. Great for dog walking. The gnats were HORRIBLE, but otherwise it was a great hike. Felt longer than 1.3, but well worth it. We did find a few small snakes were on the steps to the tower.

recorded Shelburne Fire Tower

There was plenty of information available at the kiosk. There was paper maps of the trail available and information about Lyme disease. The trail was a steady incline all the way up. There was an orange trail that looped around the steep parts of the white trail. I had the whole trail and summit to myself. The bugs were annoying but nothing that bug spray didn’t handle. The cab of the firetower was locked but you could still get views from the windows in the tower.

nice little hike

My husband and I are both avid hikers. We automatically expect to have to use the bug spray for bugs and ticks. We indeed used it and I wish we had brought it with us. It was nice and dry but half way up we both were thinking wow! This is not a hike for wimps. It is steep in places and rocky. We did however make it and were so happy we persevered because climbing the fire tower was awesome and the view is amazing at the top. It was well worth the hike.

Great short hike. Muddy a little steep!

You can tell the trail owner put a lot of love into this. I loved the tree ID tags and wished there were more so I'd be an expert by the time I made it to the top! The trail was clearly marked, if not overmarked. Not much mud despite warnings, which was great luck. You can climb up most of the tower which is really cool!

Monday, September 10, 2018

Moderate hike, steep at different points, but doable and quick overall. There are maps at the trailhead bulletin board for a small donation. The views from the top of the tower are limited to what you can see out of the narrow windows, but worthwhile! As many have mentioned, bug spray is a must!

Sunday, September 09, 2018

A very nice little hike, about 3 miles round trip. Not much for views at the top, unless you go in the tower. Conveniently located off of route 2, but surprisingly quiet soon after you get away from the highway noise. We were lucky to be there on a cool, dry day with few mosquitoes, but I would highly recommend tick repellant. I would definitely do it again!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Great quickie hike. I had 60 min with my wife waiting at the trailhead with her broken ankle so had to boogie. The trail is nice, you can move. Spooked a black bear near the junction of the other trail down. Pretty cool seeing a bear! Made it to the top not realizing they're be such a treat, a nice stone tower with the front door open. Kind of welcoming and spookie at the same time. Made it to the top without succumbing to Maxwell's silver hammer! I was alone, you think about these things. Great views up there! Get out and do this hike, now!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

This trail actually climbs to the top of Massaemett Mountain and the stone fire tower. (The map is incorrect. It has not been called Bald Mountain for around 100 years and at the top you will see why.) There are two new switchbacks near the bottom of the trail, currently painted with orange trail blazes. The orange trail is a less steep route, but slightly longer and connects at three points with the white tower trail. The orange trail is also a tree identification interpretive trail. This trail also connects to the Audubon's High Ledges (near the "M" in Massaemett at the end of what they show as a road) by following the Ridge Trail and also to their parking lot. Things to consider: This trail is on a West facing slope, so it can be a hot climb on a summer afternoon. Spray for ticks. Please turn your vehicle around on Halligan Ave near the trailhead. (It is a dead end road and the neighbors at the end of the road become irritated with hikers turning around in their driveway.)

Monday, July 02, 2018

Great trail with a vigorous hike, but the bugs were miserable even with bug spray!

recorded Shelburne Fire Tower