Shaker Mountain Loop via Shaker Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(120)
Pittsfield State Forest

Shaker Mountain Loop via Shaker Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pittsfield, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,085 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Shaker Mountain, 1,835 feet (559 m), is a prominent peak in the Taconic Mountains of western Massachusetts. The mountain is located in Pittsfield State Forest and is named after the nearby Hancock Shaker Village, a former Shaker religious colony and now a historic site. The summit is wooded and is traversed by the Shaker Trail, a loop trail that begins at the historic site. The mountain is wooded with northern hardwood tree species. Wonderful ruins and stone walls to view. Very peaceful location and the trails are not blazed but clearly marked. This hike is moderate to strenuous bring your hiking boots and walking stick.

After the recent rains there is a little more mud and more puddles but the trail is still pretty good.

I don’t feel I can quite rate the actual trail, because of my experience. The trails aren’t really well marked and we were really lost in the middle of woods. I didn’t get a chance to see the waterfalls, but I did walk through some rivers and got some quite time in nature which is always well served. I’d recommend you go well prepared for bugs, and have a downloaded map of the trail.

Easy hike but no interesting views. Might be better in the winter.

Started my hike at Shaker Mountain in dry weather but then the rains came! I didn’t mind at all, I love to hear the pitter patter of the rain hitting the leaves. I find being in the woods when the rain is gently falling; invigorating and soothing at the same time. At the end of my journey the sun came out. I am sure there must have been a rainbow somewhere! After that I decided to visit Greylock Glen; I wanted to check out the waterfall at Pecks Falls. As you can see by my photos the falls were absolutely breathtaking!! Great day!

the trail is not well marked at all please follow the map and the trail is muddy

Trail was in pretty good condition, no bugs, perfect weather. Did the full loop, but didn't run into many people. A few muddy spots, which were not made any better by the two ATVs and two dirt bikes that were also on the trail - that was the one downside to the hike.

Not very well marked. Thankfully, for the app! Very nice trail. My son and I took a wrong turn. And ended up behind the solar panels. Had to retrace our tracks.

Nice hike with Shelley today, the weather was perfect for being in the woods! I enjoyed this trail.

Between the Hancock Shakers Holy Mount and the New Lebanon Shakers Holy Mount and from there down to toward Hancock Shaker Village the Trail had a lot of long muddy spots. There were also some large puddles and trails with water running down the middle of them. This all made for a more interesting hike and I enjoyed it.

Trail markers are not kept up with, wouldn’t do without this app to make sure I stayed on course

This is a nice hike with some challenging climbs. No real views but a great loop!

Nice trail. Bushwhacked to Taconic Crest trail on the way down. The woods were amazing

flooded

This is a very nice easy to moderate hike. There are no vistas, but the forest is beautiful as are the streams. There were a couple of inches of wet snow, and like others have said parts of the trail were very wet and muddy.

bridge out

Nice hike with the Knapsackers. A little chilly and the trail was muddy! It’s not really Shaker Mt. Loop, it’s the Honwee trail.

It was ok. Just one big loop, no peaks, no ridges, no rocks... I like more off the beaten path trails. Trail condition at the end of December - wet, muddy, snowy/icy and slippery at places. I would think this trail may be much better for spring/fall hike, or for cross country skiing. I must say trail is very well marked and it's pretty wide and obvious... you won't get lost. Also big parking lot at the base.

Great trail. It was beautiful in the snow! Loved the small waterfall and stream. Please note that the All Trails app map does not show a blue trail, which I came across. Would not recommend taking the blue; stay on the green trail!

bridge out
icy

Really lovely trail! Wear shoes you can get wet and you’ll be fine. Several creak crossings