Sages Ravine via Northwest Road

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(31)
Mount Washington State Forest

Sages Ravine via Appalachian Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near South Egremont, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 662 feet Route Type: Loop

Very buggy. Basically a walk through a campsite with a small stream. Not what we expected.

This was a connector hike to two previous hikes I had already done( Everett/Race and Bear/Lions Head). Parked on Mt. Washington Rd and hiked down into Sages Ravine and up Mount Race on May 9, 2020. It was more of a winter hike considering the fresh 2” of snow near the summit and the 25 degree temps and 35-40mph sustained winds and I wouldn’t of wanted it any other way. Sages Ravine is probably one of the more scenic waterfall sections of trail that I’ve been on in CT/Mass. I inadvertently did the loop due to the fact that I followed the footsteps in the snow of the hiker previous to me. I ended up crossing the stream at a log bridge that brought me to a blue blazed section of trail. Continuing on up to Mount Race I was surprised when the trail kicked out to a precariously narrow, exposed half mile ridge walk that with a vertigo inducing 1000’ cliff drop directly to the side the entire length. However, this feature allowed for 180 degree panoramic views of the rolling topography that stretched many miles into mass/CT and New York’s Catskill region. These were the best views I’ve seen on any hike in this area hands down. Despite the high winds, intermittent snow squalls and cold temps, I sat and admired the beauty for quite awhile watching the weather change literally by the minute. Turned back down the fairly mellow descent of Mount Race back towards Sages Ravine and decided I might as well ascend Bear Mountain. All said, I was very impressed with Mount Race and Sages Ravine and will do this hike again.

recorded Sages Ravine via Northwest Road

flooded

Interesting trail! More than muddy in a few spots, so be careful especially if walking the blue trail (Paradise Lane Trail to Appalachian to Bear Mountain Road and back to the start). Ankle height water in some areas towards the end of the hike. However, would definitely recommend!

Lovely little hike! Couldn’t finish the loop bc spring melt/rain made the stream impossible to pass without wading through some water, but I added a side trip to Bear Mountain and it was incredibly beautiful. No cars in the lot! Signs posted say no camping, but otherwise the AT looks to be open, and this part was deserted.

flooded

A lot of spring melt flowing right into the trail. Wear waterproof shoes.

closed
private property

UPDATE: THIS HIKE ROUTE HAS BEEN REVISED TO SHOW THE CORRECT CURRENT ROUTE. MY REVIEW BELOW WAS FOR AN EARLIER VERSION THAT CONTAINED CLOSED/PRIVATE/INACCESSIBLE PATHS. This approach to Sages Ravine does not exist. There is no public road to the trailhead as depicted on the map, and the first part of this hike crosses private property marked with a closed gate and keep out signs. According to all other guides and trail maps I've seen for Sages Ravine, there is another trailhead a little further south at the MA/CT border, where you can follow a different, longer out-and-back route into the Ravine (I did not take that hike today, but I have hiked another part of the Ravine on a different occasion and it's quite beautiful).

Beautiful hike. The directions from the app took us to the Mt Fissell trailhead on Mt Washington Rd instead of this loop. We were still able to access Sage’s Ravine from where we were using the access trails and getting onto the AT. From the incorrect location, it was a little more than a 3 mile out and back hike with a decent there and a climb back. The ravine was cool even on a hot day. Very quiet and serene.

Tue Nov 24 2015

Beautiful, but terrifying on the ravine. Quite hard.

Sat May 23 2015

Well worth the hike,

Sat Apr 26 2014

Absolutely beautiful and well worth the trip.