Rock Circuit: Melrose Rock, Black Rock, and Pinnacle Rock

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(367)
Middlesex Fells Reservation

Rock Circuit: Melrose Rock, Black Rock, and Pinnacle Rock is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Medford, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 547 feet Route Type: Loop

Park at the skating rink. Rock Circuit Trail is marked with white blazes. It is well marked in places but some places it is challenging to follow. This trail tends to go over every obstacle in sight so be prepared to climb.

I just want to make it clear that this trail is NOT moderate. It took us at least 4 hrs to get back to where we parked and at one point I was freaking out. The map that the app provides does come in handy but it is anxiety provoking when you lose track. It is buggy and I didn’t see any body of bodies or water along this particular trail. If you’re a hiker you may have a different experience but sure know that I’ll never do it again.

My wife and I really enjoyed this hike. There were a few muddy spots along the way but the majority of the trail was perfectly fine. There is scrambling required at points. Views are worth it!

Great hike! This has been our favorite trail in Middlesex Fells so far. We had a great time climbing over rocks and enjoying all the lookout points. Our dog was pretty comfortable with the trail as well.

Great hike. Several rude people on the trail, but thankfully more nice people, which made for a good day.

We went from easy hikes to this. We ended up doing 6.3 miles. Challenging at times, lots of scrambling in many areas. If you think your ready go for it. You can find alternate routes if you think it is too much.

Awesome local trail! With views! Rocky! Make sure to wear a good sneaker or boot! Dog friendly will do it again sometime!

Great local hike! Some muddy patches and scrambles along the way but overall well marked and pretty. Not to crowded early in the morning started getting more crowded towards the end.

flooded

It’s a good challenging hike! There’s quite a good amount of scrambling, so be prepared. It’s muddy in places and some wet leaves on rocks. There’s a couple of places where it’s hard to follow the trail, but if you look around you can find the blazes.

Great trail and it is difficult. Tons of rocks to climb up, easy to skip parts if you want to go around some of the rocks, but still pretty much stay on track. Bring a beer or a snack for some nice views.

Great trail. Very challenging. My 3 teenage boys and I did this hike. Expect it to take much longer than you expect. It’ll take a few (or possibly more) hours. It winds all around, climbs over every obstacle and overall it’s really fun. Bring water and snacks. Some folks stop at one of the high points for lunch...wear strong shoes as many parts of the terrain are steep/sharp/slippery etc.