Robert Frost Trail to Mount Orient

Robert Frost Trail to Mount Orient is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Amherst, Massachusetts that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

At 47mi in length, the Robert Frost Trail is one the five longest trails in MA. It spans 10 towns from South Hadley in the south to Wendell in the north. This page details section #7, running between the Amethyst Brook Conservation Area to Pratt Corner Rd. in Amherst. Most of this section is lightly-traveled, except for the Amethyst Brook area, which features picturesque brooks and bridges and sees many dogwalkers. The guide describes the section as "rugged, wilderness-like" and rightfully so. The summit of Mt. Orient, about halfway through, provides limited views south and west. Dogs are allowed. Mountain bikes are allowed only between May 1st through October 31st.

I'd give it 3.5 starts if I could. Did this hike today with my dog, it's a beautiful spring day and the hike was nice. Overall it was ok, the walk along the river is pleasant and you get a decent view at the top. I'd say it's more of an 'easy to moderate' difficulty though, there is some incline scrambling up to Mount Orient.
**Warning to Hikers that have dogs** The beginning part of this trail is open to dogs without leashes before 10am. There are ALOT of dogs roaming freely around here. So if your dog is dog aggressive, I would avoid this trailhead and catch another part of the Robert Frost Trail. I brought my dog on a leash, and was surprised when I saw a group of 10 people conversing further on the trail and 10 leash-less dogs run at me and my dog full speed, one of which had all teeth bearing and growling. I was jumped on and had to keep my dog, a German Shepherd from ripping apart the dog that was trying to nip at her. I called out to the group of people twice to call their dogs away and NOT ONE PERSON attempted to call their dog back and off of me. VERY RUDE Dog owners here. I know this isn't the case for most people with dogs, but I wanted to let other hikers know about this area just so they aren't caught by surprise.

This trail is easy at the beginning, but gets more challenging as you gain elevation. It's also pretty long, so not necessarily for the beginner hiker. Very beautiful though, esp the top of Mt Orient, where we saw a storm coming. For those with lower endurance, the lower, flatter trails are very pretty too, if you don't wanna go for the summit. It was very buggy in July, though, so I'd wear big repellant or aim for spring/fall to check it out.

Lots of bugs but a good hike. View from the top is nice. One can sit and read at the top

Friday, April 21, 2017

would be nice if there was a map, followed red dots, missed a set and realized that they were Orange. finished at the entrance off Pratt corner & shutesbury road (beginning of m&m, Robert frost trail--sign said go back 4.7 miles to amethyst brook) and walked back via the road (over an hour)to parking area on Pelham rd.. a bit longer than we intended

Friday, September 23, 2016

took our 3 year old daughter here this afternoon. it's perfect. very easy to hike. great for young children, safe bridges, open trails, nothing steep, not many jagged roots or rocks or ledges. amazing and beautiful woodland hike!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

nice Trail about half the people running it

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The trail is lovely but it is very hard to follow now in the area where they have been doing logging-- I assume many blazes were cut down. We managed yesterday-- first time I've done the trail in 5 years- but we got off the trail repeatedly and had to find our way back.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Very beautiful by the Amethyst Brook and then gets a little more isolated and overgrown once you get past Mount Orient. Orient itself provides OK views but is a very good place to find peace & quiet and relax with a book.
Lots of snakes in the ferned areas past Mount Orient. This section of the RFT has been mapped out but not marked on OpenStreetMaps and the AllTrails map isn't showing the full trail yet. Follow the orange blazes.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

From the Amethyst Brook trailhead, I hiked 3.5 miles to the place where the trail disappears on the AllTrails map (which seems to be arbitrary), and then returned to the trailhead. (See my track.) This spot is around about 2/3 of a mile after the peak of Mt. Orient and before Poverty Mt. The hike is not the entire section 7 of the Robert Frost Trail.
This was an easy 3.5 mile (1 hour) hike to the end, and an even easier 3.5 mile (1 hour) hike back. 7 miles total. Climb to peak is 758 feet, but Alltrails Record claims the total elevation gain is 1,286 on the climb and 551 on the return. There is a little rock scramble near the end that would not be appropriate for children or elderly hikers, but most of the hike is relatively flat and well-maintained.
The first part, within the Amethyst Brook Conservation Area, is crowded with people and dogs. The rest is quiet.
The trail is very clean, wide, and well-marked.

Friday, May 15, 2015

The trail itself is difficult to follow - I could find no tree markings, and various trails branched off in many different directions. The area itself was gorgeous. It rests besides what I can only imagine is called the Amethyst Brook, a clear, bubbling brook. There are three bridges that cross the brook, and trails that run along each side. Trails seem to run in every cardinal direction, so I spent my time going up and down each one.

There were many people walking their dogs, so I felt safe. On the north side of the brook, I found a collection of stones in a spiral formation, labelled a peaceful meditation circle by a paper nailed to a tree. It was quite the sight, and I highly recommend visiting it if you can find it. Also along the north side of the brook, I found a quiet spot to sit on some rocks and catch up on some Robert Frost reading.

This trail deserves another visit: if not for its beauty, for its expanse and variety of trails that beg exploring.

Thursday, April 20, 2017