Red Tail Trail to Backpacker and Bear Paw Loop

Red Tail Trail to Backpacker and Bear Paw Loop is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Framingham, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Good loop on the north side of Callahan. Some much needed trail maintenance has been done on Red Tail which made it much more enjoyable on the way to Gibbs Mountain. The trails alternate between shady woods and open meadows. There are a couple sections that can be confusing so I would recommend using your tracker to avoid wandering in circles. Despite the poor signage on the north side, I really did enjoy this hike and would do it again.

Really great place to bring your dog. Our lab always leaves here exhausted after all the swimming and running. Everyone we ran into was extremely friendly and people seemed to be picking up after their canine friends. They include fee trail maps as well as poop bags. Trails are easy to follow, well maintained, we love it here.

Very easy short hike. We did acorn trail. We were trying to find Gibbs Mountain loop but we were unable to find the trailhead for it. Lots of dogs off leash!

Great place for a hike with the pooch! I think the last loop on the north side is just a straight there and back on the backpacker trail or a loop on the acorn trail though. I couldn’t find the other side of the loop shown on this apps map.

TONS of dogs not on leashes.

I'm giving this a 5/5 because I'm a dog owner and this is in my top 3 dog parks.
Dogs only have to be on leash in some areas, so it's nice having them run around by the pond with other dogs and close by you on the trails. We return here every few weeks, and neither us nor our dogs are disappointed. The trails are pretty easy to follow, they have free maps at both entrances; the amounts are limited, but they also have a big map you can look at before you go in.
There are some negative comments here about the dogs, but I've never actually seen anyone upset or bothered with them off leash, FYI :)

My friend and I trailered our horses here today. The parking lot was a nice size where we were able to pull in and circle around for an easy exit. There were A LOT of dogs there and although it says leashes are required, not everyone had them and not all of the dogs were respectful of the horses. There were a lot of trails to explore and a lot where we could even trot and canter. Some were rocky and had roots all over but most were fine for the horses. With my horse being so tall, I had to do some ducking to avoid the tree branches but it was gorgeous weather and just enough breeze to keep the bugs away. There is a pond that the dogs can swim in and we took our horses in since it's only about belly deep for them and they could walk right in. It wasn't our favorite place because of the dogs but we'd go back at some point in the future as it's a nice change of scenery.

Pleasant easy trail compared with north Callahan state park, which was much harder

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Exelente to walk dogs

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great place to run especially if you have a dog! They are allowed off leash on most trails, especially the north side.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

very nice and moderate walk. I've been going there since I was a child. in my opinion best dog park I've ever been to. on holidays there could be almost a hundred dogs. on a normal nice day there's a good number. big fields for dogs to play in. a sexy green (ew) pond for them to swim in and a few miles of very nice hiking paths. they even have bike paths on the left.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I love the trails and know them by heart I go so often! A pond for pups to splash and frolicking.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Love this spot! tons and tons of trails to explore with some really nice ponds and views. One of the closest places to Boston where you can actually get deep enough into the woods to be completely removed from the noise of the outside world

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Great place !!

Sunday, June 14, 2015

A great place to run with a few small hills. Some parts are a little muddy and it can be a little buggy. You'll need to watch out for unleashed dogs though. It seems like everyone that owns a dog in this area brings them here to play (southern part).

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My dog loves this place. Great place to bring the dog, let her run around off leash with the other dogs, swim in the pond and then hike the trails. We've been a lot with our dog - even just to throw the ball or Frisbee around.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: free parking, nice countryside views of fields makes you feel like you are in rural Pennsylvania farmland. Nice change of pace. Decent amount of land to cover. Closed trails were clearly marked.

Cons: no swimming, not a very challenging hike for someone looking to feel they are all the way out there in the woods.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

There was free parking. Hiking was fun In the woods. Was not super challenging. No swimming, not a lot of bugs. Views pretty good how large fields, not spectacular.

Good hiking Overall.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

There are three main entrances to the park. One on Milliwood Street, one on Edmand's Road and one on Broadmeadow Street. Milliwood offers easy access to Eagle Pond, a nice place for dogs to swim, and with a nice easy walk along a raised berm. Edmand's lets you onto the Pipeland, a wide straight road (firebreak, maybe?) as well as a maze of criss-crossing smaller trails. Broadmeadow is the most 'rustic' trailhead, tucked away on a dirt road. It only offers a few trails but tends to be less populated, and leads to Beebe Pond, a nice secluded spot with a good dog-friendly swimming hole at one end.

PS This site requires me to enter data I don't know, such as length...so I'm guessing

Sunday, June 05, 2011

The park itself was lovely, but even with a park map, a description of a hike, and the AllTrails app, the trails were still so poorly marked that it was hard to be sure where we were. Working with just the map, it would have been a frustrating afternoon.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

If you start from the Marlborough trail head it is mostly hiking trails. I was some bike tracks but I mostly saw hikers. Lots of trails and varying terrain. See some nice ponds, fields and farms