Race Brook Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(229)
Sheffield, Massachusetts

Race Brook Falls Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sheffield, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,174 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Really beautiful views but the trail was poorly marked at the lower falls

Wonderful hike for kids with multiple stream crossings and a beautiful waterfall. A bit of a leg burner for the little ones but overall a great way to spend a couple hours.

Easy and beautiful... lots of different paths and flat soft dry place to camp just off trail

Honestly not as hard as MT. Tom. A bit of a leg burner but anyone can make it.

Loved this hike. The waterfall was beautiful and amazing view point. Easy to follow!

Great trail. Brought kids with us!

Great trail, sections of sustained climb. Wide views near upper falls and beautiful sitting near the top. Hiked with dog and two kids and it took us about 2 hrs to hike the 3 miles up & back.

We hike with 3 young kids, one on my back. Loved the trail, but wish I had trekking poles for the descent. Amazing falls halfway up. Nice views at the top, but not extravagant. Kids liked it too. Will certainly do it again.

It’s so beautiful with snow totally recommend it

flooded
icy

Beautiful hike but weather conditions could have been better! Ice, rain, snow, mud made the trail dangerously slippery. We made it to the waterfall which was beautiful. Trail markings were good! I want to come back when conditions are better!

I led a hike here on 11/21. A lot of great waterfalls although I initially took a wrong turn to get closer to falls farther up. It was rocky in parts, rather steep in spots, and forded the brook twice. We ate lunch at the campsite where there is a latrine and then hiked another .2 to the AT. I would not call this an easy trail. It is at last moderate.

icy

The upper most waterfall was stunning today! The area near the falls was thin ice coated from the falls mist. The easy rating is wrong, this is a moderate hike with sections of hard due to steepness. The whole hike is beautiful I went all the way to the AT junction. Spent time at falls and water ways for photography. Recommend this hike, agree with others no sneakers in the falls area's lots of moss.

I went as far as crossing the brook higher above the falls in order to keep it short. I would HIGHLY recommend this hike but caution anyone who tends not to wear waterproof hiking boots. It’s a steep climb at parts, you cross over slippery rocks more than once, and in Autumn you have the added hazard of many loose but beautiful leaves. Well worth it to see that waterfall!

Great trail that is absolutely not an "easy", unless only going to lower falls. Would call this a solid moderate trail due to steep inclines up to Upper falls and campsite. Upper falls are generally dry right now, but still great views and vistas. We used the lower falls loop trail on our return, unmarked but great access to falls.

steep back to under mountain rd. rt 41 ...from racebrook falls camp site

Our (fit) family of 5 did this hike (youngest is 8) and had a great time. Beautiful falls and fun rock scrambling. I would say, however, it was not “easy.”

great trail lots of different terrain views are minimum

Tue May 07 2019

Be careful hiking when raining

4.16.19. In the right weather, a perfect hike. I had a crystal clear day, windy, and cool. The Falls were, as ever, spectacular, but especially so today due to big rains the day before. Being on the AT is always a thrill and the views today from Mount Everett summit were incredible. Others have noted that about a fifth of a mile past the summit, continuing on the AT, there is a lookout with a NE view to die for. Worth the extra 10 minutes! One note for dog owners — crossing Race Brook by the Upper Falls when they are in full spate does not appeal to every dog. Took me 15 minutes to persuade my mid-sized, athletic, and experienced pooch to follow me across. Can’t imagine it would be much different for smaller kids. If you’re thinking of having a go at this, go prepared! Here are my stats as a rough guide to what to expect: Distance: 7.3 miles (I got a little lost at right the end, so this is a tad longer than it should be) Elevation Gain: 2,218 feet Moving Time: 3:57:32

Tue Apr 02 2019

Nice trail with a beautiful waterfall. The falls were running strong and still partially frozen in spots. Trail was easy to follow. Lower falls area is really pretty and provides great view of the falls. A little slippery but I expect that this time of year. Parked on the side of route 41 as the parking area was full and trail was busy.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Full coverage of snow and ice past the upper waterfall.