Race Brook Falls and Mount Everett

Race Brook Falls and Mount Everett is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sheffield, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this route yesterday morning starting at 7:30 am. The sun rising, and not another soul in the woods. The snow gives the forest a whole new look. I loved the trail!. The minimal snow depth made micro spikes a serious challenge when on a slope, and they made rock contact. I had several close calls. I can't wait for Spring so I can bring my wife!

Beautiful waterfalls!!! Stunning views from the Ridgeline!!!

Loved this hike,challenging but worth it.

Race Brook Falls is a steep and strenuous trail but it’s well worth it. You’ll find yourself taking detours to observe the water cascading down over the rocks.

Turned left at the AT to Mt Race. Beautiful view.

Great work out and great views!

Good trail, skipped the lower falls trail and went left to upper falls. Immediately, the incline begins and is a fairly challenging grade in a short(ish) distance. It's about two miles to the AT - not many views other than the waterfall. Hiked to Mt Everett (AT north) and to what use to be the location for the fire lookout. The tower is no longer there and the peak really doesn't allow for much viewing. If you continue north about another two mins, there's a nice rock ledge lookout that offers a nice view. If you're setting out in search of beautiful landscape views, this isn't the trail for that. But if you love waterfalls and a good climb, this was perfect.

Great hike, I would skip the lower falls trail as well. Challenging rock scrambles and summit had OK views.

I suggest taking the "upper falls route" to the AT because it has better markings on the trees. Well worth the hike, it was fabulous! My Garmin tracked 6.65 miles.

What a great Trail! Stayed the night

Next day did upper mountain hike. Much more difficult. Worth it. Beautiful falls. Next time AT & Mt Race.

First time here. Just had time for the lower falls trail, about 0.7mi out and back each way. Not steep. Nice falls at the end. I couldn't find any connecting loop as shown on the map. This short trail seems to end at the falls. Very nice hike. Looking forward to a return to do the upper mountain hike.

Well marked trail. Challenging but doable.

Spent 2 nights camping. Great scenery. Can't wait to go back. Views from Race Mountain were beautiful.

It was great. Although this is NOT a 6 mile round trip hike. From the trail head of Race Brook, the summit of My Everett by my Garmin was 5.0 miles, meaning a 10 mile round trip. The views at Mt. Race are much much much better. The race brook part is awesome. Everything you could want in a hike.

I like to think of how I can achieve a difficult trail by what I have to look forward to, on the way down. The hike up is fun and there are many opportunities to stop along the river trail up.. if you don't mind the wet rocks when stopping or corssing. On your way down be weary of the slipperiness.

I only hiked to the lower falls. It was approximately 0.7 mile/20 minutes each way with moderate trail difficulty. The hike to the lower falls can be challenging because it's mostly uphill, steep and rocky. However, you will get a good workout and the waterfall is worth it! I did go right after it rained so the water was flowing nicely. The rocks were a bit slippery, so be careful. There isn't a lot of parking there so I did have to park on a side street. I would recommend bringing buy spray, and of course a camera!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

One of my favourite hikes in the area, best in Spring when the water flows strong.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Great snow shoe trail. Well marked, not busy, beautiful waterfalls and views. Awesome hike

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

cool

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

I hiked this in July, so the falls weren't really the goal. The ascent to the AT is tough, but the last mile to the peak of Mt. Everett is the real calf-buster. For those who have the time, or those who want an easier and much more rewarding view, go south on the AT to Mt. Race. It's only about 35min to the summit, and 360-degree views. You can see Mt. Greylock on a clear day.

Monday, October 31, 2016

a liitle slick on the way down from Everett on the A.T. but the falls were running!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Let me preface by saying I have been hiking for a few months and went with a more experienced hiker - this was a bust for us. Parking was easy, we started the trail fine, but it was poorly marked and we were quickly lost again and again. We kept finding ourselves following the brook which is along the trail for a bit but it diverts without clear direction. The falls were dried when we went but there were markers leading up to them, and then again, no clear marker as to which way after. We eventually summitted the actual falls (don't do this!) and then went back to the car and headed to Bash Bish for a more clearly marked adventure. The brook and moss were pretty but we spent two hours meandering about, really.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Good trail, but no real clear views from the summit. The falls were also dry, so I'll go back.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice and challenging trail with some interesting points along the way. The view from the top is blocked by vegetation in most directions which is disappointing after a trail of this difficulty but I still enjoyed myself.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Hiked south from parking area at the end of the Mt. Everett Road to Mt. Everett peak and then on to Mt. Race peak on the Appalachian Trail. Trail mostly easy on rock slabs with a section of moderate incline on the way up and down the south side of Everett. Much enjoyed lunch on Race with 360 degree views. Excellent 4-5 mile, 4 hour hike including return.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Hiked to upper falls but only a trickle of water.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great hike if you're looking for a workout! However, this hike and the summit of mount Everett offer little to no views.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Difficult to follow blue markers but this app helped when we got lost. Strenuous and satisfying. Sometimes slippery.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Speaking of beauty I rate this trail a 5 star..
I am really an I shape hiker so the challenge I give it a 4 star :-)
I like this hike. Started off at 41 from race brook to Mt. Everett BUT before me and my life partner got to Mt. Everett we ran into the white blazes (followed blue blazes up), and when we went on white we ended up on the AT which is cool to. That was 1.2 miles of ledge with a spectacular view. That AT trail we took we just followed the white blazes down and almost made it to Sages Revene, but running low on energy by this point and cutting it close on day light we turned back about 2 miles before Sages Revene.

All together we did 12.2 miles with the in and back...