Race Brook Falls and Mount Everett

Race Brook Falls and Mount Everett is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sheffield, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very nice hike but very challenging (my calves were soared the next 3 days). The falls are nice and the upper part past the falls sees a wonderful forest path along the river, a delight! The path to the Appalachian Trail to mount Everett is indeed rocky and steep (strenuous) and views are not really there (unless you got someone to put you on their shoulders :D). Make sure on the way back (close to the parking lot) to take on a a left and cross the river (I kept going straight lost in my thoughts and realized that there was houses that I did not see on the way in and I had to turn back...).
Took me about 2-2h30 to get to Mount Everett with a fairly good pace.

Only downside of this hike is that the peak has no view, they took down the fire tower. Very anticlimactic. Beginning and Middle are 5/5 tho

Very strenuous trail which made it incredibly rewarding. Parked on 41 and walked up to the falls which were really pretty. Kept gong past the campsite (very nice, with a privy, bear box and platforms) and up to the AT for our first time. The AT portion was even steeper and rockier than what came before - I was very grateful for my poles, especially on the way down. As others have said, no view from the top of Mt Everett, but you'll find a great lookout point about 2 minutes past the summit. No bugs at all when we were out, btw, which was a real bonus! This is not a hike for amateurs. Met some AT thru-hikers...AND an enormous angry rattlesnake on the way down!

Beautiful scenery, worth the climb to stand on top of Race Mountain to be treated to a breathtaking panoramic view. Very buggy. Met friendly hikers. Hiking poles a big help.

Beautiful trail! I followed it to the falls, the summit, and the continued down the AT to a pond, where I was completely alone to enjoy the water.

This was a good hike - strenuous for us. The climb starts almost immediately after the trail split, about a 1/4 mile in. Markers on tree per light blue. Lots of rocky ground and ground with exposed roots. Part of trail to lower falls is through a creek bed with lots of large rocks. Trail might be muddy after a rain. We did not go beyond upper falls after visiting lower falls. Total trip for us was 3 miles in about 2 hours.

I hiked this route yesterday morning starting at 7:30 am. The sun rising, and not another soul in the woods. The snow gives the forest a whole new look. I loved the trail!. The minimal snow depth made micro spikes a serious challenge when on a slope, and they made rock contact. I had several close calls. I can't wait for Spring so I can bring my wife!

Beautiful waterfalls!!! Stunning views from the Ridgeline!!!

Loved this hike,challenging but worth it.

Race Brook Falls is a steep and strenuous trail but it’s well worth it. You’ll find yourself taking detours to observe the water cascading down over the rocks.

Turned left at the AT to Mt Race. Beautiful view.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Great work out and great views!

Monday, August 21, 2017

Good trail, skipped the lower falls trail and went left to upper falls. Immediately, the incline begins and is a fairly challenging grade in a short(ish) distance. It's about two miles to the AT - not many views other than the waterfall. Hiked to Mt Everett (AT north) and to what use to be the location for the fire lookout. The tower is no longer there and the peak really doesn't allow for much viewing. If you continue north about another two mins, there's a nice rock ledge lookout that offers a nice view. If you're setting out in search of beautiful landscape views, this isn't the trail for that. But if you love waterfalls and a good climb, this was perfect.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great hike, I would skip the lower falls trail as well. Challenging rock scrambles and summit had OK views.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

I suggest taking the "upper falls route" to the AT because it has better markings on the trees. Well worth the hike, it was fabulous! My Garmin tracked 6.65 miles.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

What a great Trail! Stayed the night

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Next day did upper mountain hike. Much more difficult. Worth it. Beautiful falls. Next time AT & Mt Race.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

First time here. Just had time for the lower falls trail, about 0.7mi out and back each way. Not steep. Nice falls at the end. I couldn't find any connecting loop as shown on the map. This short trail seems to end at the falls. Very nice hike. Looking forward to a return to do the upper mountain hike.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Well marked trail. Challenging but doable.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Spent 2 nights camping. Great scenery. Can't wait to go back. Views from Race Mountain were beautiful.

Monday, July 03, 2017

It was great. Although this is NOT a 6 mile round trip hike. From the trail head of Race Brook, the summit of My Everett by my Garmin was 5.0 miles, meaning a 10 mile round trip. The views at Mt. Race are much much much better. The race brook part is awesome. Everything you could want in a hike.

Friday, June 09, 2017

I like to think of how I can achieve a difficult trail by what I have to look forward to, on the way down. The hike up is fun and there are many opportunities to stop along the river trail up.. if you don't mind the wet rocks when stopping or corssing. On your way down be weary of the slipperiness.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I only hiked to the lower falls. It was approximately 0.7 mile/20 minutes each way with moderate trail difficulty. The hike to the lower falls can be challenging because it's mostly uphill, steep and rocky. However, you will get a good workout and the waterfall is worth it! I did go right after it rained so the water was flowing nicely. The rocks were a bit slippery, so be careful. There isn't a lot of parking there so I did have to park on a side street. I would recommend bringing buy spray, and of course a camera!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

One of my favourite hikes in the area, best in Spring when the water flows strong.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Great snow shoe trail. Well marked, not busy, beautiful waterfalls and views. Awesome hike

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

cool

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

I hiked this in July, so the falls weren't really the goal. The ascent to the AT is tough, but the last mile to the peak of Mt. Everett is the real calf-buster. For those who have the time, or those who want an easier and much more rewarding view, go south on the AT to Mt. Race. It's only about 35min to the summit, and 360-degree views. You can see Mt. Greylock on a clear day.

Monday, October 31, 2016

a liitle slick on the way down from Everett on the A.T. but the falls were running!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Let me preface by saying I have been hiking for a few months and went with a more experienced hiker - this was a bust for us. Parking was easy, we started the trail fine, but it was poorly marked and we were quickly lost again and again. We kept finding ourselves following the brook which is along the trail for a bit but it diverts without clear direction. The falls were dried when we went but there were markers leading up to them, and then again, no clear marker as to which way after. We eventually summitted the actual falls (don't do this!) and then went back to the car and headed to Bash Bish for a more clearly marked adventure. The brook and moss were pretty but we spent two hours meandering about, really.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Good trail, but no real clear views from the summit. The falls were also dry, so I'll go back.