Purgatory Chasm Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A unique natural landmark, Purgatory Chasm runs for a quarter of a mile between granite walls rising as high as 70 feet. Popular with picnickers and rock-climbers alike, the Chasm is believed to have its origin in the sudden release of dammed-up glacial meltwater near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 14,000 years ago. Trails lead to a wide variety of rock formations, with such romantic names as The Corn Crib, The Coffin, The Pulpit, Lovers' Leap and Fat Man's Misery.

rock climbing

Okay, so I'm still a beginner hiker...this was hard! I really enjoyed myself, don't get me wrong, but yikes! There's a lot of climbing boulders, up and down. Looks easier for kids and people in great shape...but great exercise!

So much fun!

Beautiful hike and great for kids and families.

Had my 2 year old on my kelty backpack during the hike. It was gorgeous but I wouldn't recommend doing it since the rocks you had to go over were quick large.

trail was clean and well maintained other than others not cleaning up after their dogs!!! REALLY PEOPLE!!!!
Trail was a moderate hike lots of rough areas to trip on. Took our 2 Irish wolfhound crosses with us and they were very tired after yellow trail with some side drifting views. I will definitely hike there with them again.

Fun hike through the chasm. The rest of the trails were adaquete. It was a bummer to pay $10 for parking though since all trails were kind of short. But as far as $10 go, at least it goes to a deserving place. It’s easy to swerve in and out of the yellow and blue trails and other unmarked trails if you choose. It’s all pretty flat except the chasm. I drove an hour and a half, if you live farther maybe choose another, closer trail.

This trail was a challenge but I loved it! Took my best friend with me and we had so much fun! I just love climbing rocks and walking in trails!

The kids and I love this place! Not overly taxing, but a great time.. Kids love sliding on the big flat rocks!

Fun area to explore with lots of rampart caves and ledges. The highlighted loop goes around the Chasm, but it’s definitely worth checking it out during your trip. We spent about a half hour checking out the caves, then did a little hiking. The trails in the area are very well marked and maintained. My one warning would be to avoid coming on weekends since it gets very crowded.

Nice place to hike and exercise. Very scenic.

This is a great time to spend your day:)
The trails can be from easy to moderately difficult or you can make it a little of everything. We love coming here.

always a pleasure. great look out rock

I love this place. So peaceful and the best hiking experience i have had.

Moderate woodland trails with beautiful views overlooking the chasm. Inside, there are a lot of great bouldering areas to climb over and through.

great place. always impressed by the chasm. Wildlife is super cool. kick over a rotted log and you may find a giant millipede

This is my favorite type of hike. Rocky scramble, huge boulders and trees. Started counterclockwise on charleys loop(yellow), followed forest road trail (orange and blue) and chasm trail (blue). Chasm trail was the best with huge rocks to climb in under on and through. there's a trail but so many neat options on it! First trails were boring but the chasm more than made up for it! FYI - parking fee $5 for MA resident, $10 out of state.

This was one of the coolest places we have ever been to. Highly recommend it.

Fun walk with my 5 year old, park area is clean and allows for picnics.

Great Hike for all. Easy access and Great trails.

One of my personal favorites

Went here for a birthday party, great place for a picnic and an easy hike with awesome rocks.

Gone several times for short lunch trips, great moderate hike to go on with friends & family.

Lots of cool boulders with scrambling opportunities. The hike can be customized in length and difficulty.

Recently did this trail ! The chasm had a lot of ice but we managed to do it . Beautiful and well maintained trail !

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Awesome trail, it is a little hard for younger kids. I've been 3-4 times I love it every time because it is so unique.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

So much fun with kids and adults! You should be physically fit, as you’re climbing through rocks and boulders.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Use to frequent this trail when I was working in Uxbridge MA

Friday, September 29, 2017

Great little loop with kids. The chasm is unique, breathtaking and a fun climb. Best in Fall. In Spring/Summer it gets very wet, muddy and buggy. This trail is best as an add on after one of the longer trails because it is so short. There are also caves to explore for those with experience. Nice place to take out of state guests for something unique.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Defiantly one for your bucket list!

Monday, September 04, 2017