Purgatory Chasm Trail

Purgatory Chasm Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A unique natural landmark, Purgatory Chasm runs for a quarter of a mile between granite walls rising as high as 70 feet. Popular with picnickers and rock-climbers alike, the Chasm is believed to have its origin in the sudden release of dammed-up glacial meltwater near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 14,000 years ago. Trails lead to a wide variety of rock formations, with such romantic names as The Corn Crib, The Coffin, The Pulpit, Lovers' Leap and Fat Man's Misery.

Went here for a birthday party, great place for a picnic and an easy hike with awesome rocks.

Gone several times for short lunch trips, great moderate hike to go on with friends & family.

Lots of cool boulders with scrambling opportunities. The hike can be customized in length and difficulty.

Recently did this trail ! The chasm had a lot of ice but we managed to do it . Beautiful and well maintained trail !

Awesome trail, it is a little hard for younger kids. I've been 3-4 times I love it every time because it is so unique.

So much fun with kids and adults! You should be physically fit, as you’re climbing through rocks and boulders.

Use to frequent this trail when I was working in Uxbridge MA

Great little loop with kids. The chasm is unique, breathtaking and a fun climb. Best in Fall. In Spring/Summer it gets very wet, muddy and buggy. This trail is best as an add on after one of the longer trails because it is so short. There are also caves to explore for those with experience. Nice place to take out of state guests for something unique.

Defiantly one for your bucket list!

Fun hike

I'm an experienced hiker and was looking for a quick, moderate hike and from reviews online this looked good. I was thoroughly disappointed with this hike. It was a walk with no reward of a view and was way too crowded. I would not recommend this "hike" to anyone.

love this place. They have something for everyone, all levels.

Lots of fun. The climb was great. A wonderful time. We explored a little off trail, found some nice places.

Loved it!

gorgeous hike up and down the chasm and around it, dogs have to be leashed, but no one cares if you unleash

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great Family fun. Kids love the rock climbing.

Friday, May 12, 2017

BeautyFull... what more can i say

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

can be a little crowded

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Lots of fun to scramble around the rocks in the chasm. Super crowded in the summer though.

Monday, April 17, 2017

It was fun climbing around the bluffs!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Fun rock climbing caves wish it was good for my dog though

Sunday, April 16, 2017

More like Cha-Zam!

Friday, March 03, 2017

very scenic, fun for all ages, plenty of large boulders to climb around

Sunday, November 27, 2016

I've been going here since I was a kid. I still love it. I take my children often. It's a great hike for the whole family.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

I loved the chasm!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Have done this multiple times with my kids (ages 5 - 8). Enjoyed the different trails each time. It's a great place for family hikes or casual day hikes.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Good for a quick walk with interesting things to look at. you have to go through fat man's misery.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I had hike thru here many times. you can just do trails or go thru the chasm

Sunday, August 28, 2016

I love this place! I wish I lived closer! I have only been 3 times.
Once in college with some friends (1996). We had fun going through the chasm and just walking through the woods.
My second time was on a date (Spring 2015). We walked, talked and afterward went to an early dinner. We wore flip flops, (not a first date!) so we didn't do the chasm. But the trails were great!
My most recent was Fall 2015 with my daughter and our dog. We walked several trails. We didn't do the chasm because we had Iggy; but we did several trails. We had a great time! There are several trails that go up so you can see into the chasm. The map marks the difficulty well and you can chose your own difficulty. :)
We enjoyed a variety of easy to intermediate trails.
There are always people on these trails and it is always a great time.