Purgatory Chasm Trail

Purgatory Chasm Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sutton, Massachusetts that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from March until November.

A unique natural landmark, Purgatory Chasm runs for a quarter of a mile between granite walls rising as high as 70 feet. Popular with picnickers and rock-climbers alike, the Chasm is believed to have its origin in the sudden release of dammed-up glacial meltwater near the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 14,000 years ago. Trails lead to a wide variety of rock formations, with such romantic names as The Corn Crib, The Coffin, The Pulpit, Lovers' Leap and Fat Man's Misery.

very scenic, fun for all ages, plenty of large boulders to climb around

I've been going here since I was a kid. I still love it. I take my children often. It's a great hike for the whole family.

I loved the chasm!

Have done this multiple times with my kids (ages 5 - 8). Enjoyed the different trails each time. It's a great place for family hikes or casual day hikes.

Good for a quick walk with interesting things to look at. you have to go through fat man's misery.

I had hike thru here many times. you can just do trails or go thru the chasm

I love this place! I wish I lived closer! I have only been 3 times.
Once in college with some friends (1996). We had fun going through the chasm and just walking through the woods.
My second time was on a date (Spring 2015). We walked, talked and afterward went to an early dinner. We wore flip flops, (not a first date!) so we didn't do the chasm. But the trails were great!
My most recent was Fall 2015 with my daughter and our dog. We walked several trails. We didn't do the chasm because we had Iggy; but we did several trails. We had a great time! There are several trails that go up so you can see into the chasm. The map marks the difficulty well and you can chose your own difficulty. :)
We enjoyed a variety of easy to intermediate trails.
There are always people on these trails and it is always a great time.