Ponkapoag Pond Trail

Ponkapoag Pond Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Randolph, Massachusetts that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

flooded
icy

my boy, Roger, loved the trail very much!! he met lots of friends and got to get his energy out.

my son and I enjoyed the trail we didn't so the whole loop this was our first hike this year so didn't wanna get stuck half way and him be exhausted. it is a easy trail for children and dogs, we didnt see horses but ee saw tons of poop (owners should be required to clean). we started at the golf corse, I didnt know it was a golf corse but was a cool walk and when heading back we got to relax under some trees. the bored walk is why we came here and although there was no water under them ( I assumed there would be in the spring after the snow melts or after heavy rainfall) it was still awesome and fun!

Nice, easy walk. Great place to take the dog. Parked by Ponkapoag Trail Rd and Rt 93.

Bog portion: End-to-end boards over a bog, farther than you could have believed. Fantastic primeval trail, with lots of strange plants ( carnivorous plants x3!)

Excellent trail for long run as it has small elevation difference. I was able to put 20 km on it making two loops. Views on this trail are spectacular. At some point I found myself running 1 meter from the water and 10 min later I was deep in the forest!

This is one of the most gorgeous hikes in the Boston area. There is a bog, orchids, pinelands, oaks, swampy area with ferns and wildflowers. The only part that was ever an issue was this encounter: Boy: (bellows in a high soprano) Un bel di vedremo levarsi un fil di fumo sull’estremo confin del mare. Woman: HELLLOOOOO! You’re scaring my horses!!! And you can’t ride your bikes here. Boy: I’m quite certain that I can. Woman: (fake dials her cellphone) hello dan, can people ride their bikes here.... Un.. okay...that’s what I thought. Boy: (interrupting) I’m sorry ma’am. The only reason we are out here is because... (emulating Nicole Ritchie) because I LOST MY CAT... Woman: what were you thinking bringing your cat into the woods... Boy: (fake sobbing) HEEEERE PATCCCHES!!!!!! Woman: why would you have a cat in the woods. Boy: I had her on a leash and she ran away (fake sniffle) Woman begins climbing through the underbrush. Boy: (begins laughing manically) Woman: (definitely TRIGGERED) I WASSSS TRRYYYYING TO BE NIIIIICE TOOOO YOUUUUUU!!!!!! WHO DO YPU THINK YOU ARRRREEEE??

Thu Dec 27 2018

Good length trail for a dog walk but be aware the back side is wet and muddy in December and your dog will be caked in it. Perfect summer trail

Mon Nov 12 2018

I used to love this trail. The last time I was here to come to relax, I left the opposite of relaxed and was very unhappy. While on the trail, two different people allowed their large dogs to bolt at me, jump on me, and growl at me while their owners shouted “sorry” and practically crawled to my rescue. It was also a muddy day so needless to say, when the dogs jumped on me I had mud all over my clothes. Both times, I expressed that this wasn’t ok and to please leash the dogs, while the owners didn’t say anything to me and kept walking with their dogs unleashed. The first time this happened on my way towards the golf course, I was annoyed but thought it was a fluke since I hadn’t had this issue before. The second time this happened on the same hike and a different person I was thinking “Again? You’ve got to be kidding me.” I’m an animal lover, but this really isn’t ok. I can also see this as a huge problem for folks coming who have small children or a phobia of dogs... or who simply don’t want to have a dog charge and jump on them? Dog people - please leash your dogs here. It’s really not fair to the other hikers who are just trying to enjoy their hike.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Excellent Sunday hiking with no crowds.

Sat Oct 20 2018

This trail starts at the Ponkapoag Golf Course. I liked the trail (green dot). It was mostly flat with a couple of little hills. It was very pretty and there is a spot to get close to the pond. It was exactly what I was looking for that day. Some of the signage could have been a bit better or there could have been more of it. I used AllTrails map with the GPS so I could mark our progress. I would take a picture of the display map in parking lot so you can match numbers at crossroads. Also, look for the green dots along the way to mark your route.

Sat Sep 29 2018

This is a nice walk. Be careful if you plan on parking near randolph street as that parking lot is very rocky and bumpy - seen signs of people scratching their oil pan! The boardwalk is arguably the best part, the marshland is beautiful!

Sat Jul 21 2018

Very little view of the water. Difficult to find trailhead until we realized it was off golf course entrance. Black flies were bad. Boardwalk section of trail was pretty enjoyable, despite needing repairs. Very easy hike.

Mon Jul 09 2018

Beautiful spot. I went on a Tuesday afternoon. No horses - couple of mountain bikers and campers but otherwise quiet. Sunlight filtering through trees. Peaceful.

Sun Apr 29 2018

The loop alone is about 5 miles of hiking. Very nice views.

Sun Mar 04 2018

March 4th 2018: This was a beautiful trail, an easy 5 miles. Some elevation at times. Beautiful views of the water. Currently the boardwalk into the water is damaged from the recent storm, and in many areas of the trail there are newly fallen trees. On the last mile of the trail around the pond the entrance is blocked by a giant cluster of fallen trees. I chose to walk on the main road and into the nearby neighborhood to gain access back to rest of the trail. I suspect as the warmest weather approaches the town will make the necessary upkeep from the off season. Highly recommend and would return to despite the current damage.

Sat Feb 17 2018

Great walk on this beautiful day!

Thu Dec 21 2017

Great walk! If anyone finds a Fitbit along the trail please let Me know here!!!!

Sun Dec 17 2017

Easy, Peaceful Walk. It can, at times, be a bit crowded and there’s always the doggie “land mines” to look out for. Most people do pick up after themselves though.

Sat Nov 18 2017

love walking the pond. great easy hike.

Sat Nov 11 2017

A great area! Parked in the Ponkapoag Golf Course parking lot off Rt. 138 and started down the cart path thru the course. Went over the dam then took the horse trail straight over to Route 24. Checked out the Bowley Bridge overpass then proceeded north to Duck Pond. Then headed down to the AMC camp and the beach, nice! THE HIGHLIGHT WAS WALKING THE BABCOCK BOG BOARDWALK ALL THE WAY TO THE POND (last time I was here it was too wet). Enjoyed the views there then returned through the golf course. This is a great route! Enjoy!

Wed Nov 01 2017

I hiked Ponkapoag Pond Trail during the last weekend of October with several members of my family and one dog. The trail was wonderful for a hiking beginner like myself and was easy enough for my mother who has an injured knee. The views of the pond and the Blue Hills were spectacular, especially with the foliage. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the trail was for a beautiful Fall Saturday afternoon, particularly compared to how busy some other trails have been in the area this Fall. The few people who we did pass along the way were friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we were! We will absolutely return to this trail, but I think there were a few downsides worth pointing out. As others have said in reviews, there was a lot of horse poop - so much that I felt like I was spending more time looking down at the trail than at the picturesque surroundings. The parking lot entrance near the boat ramp was not well-labeled and both of our cars initially passed the entrance and needed to turn around, and the lot was not paved or well-cleared. We didn’t have much issue parking, but other cars seemed to struggle around exposed rocks. There were a couple of times along the trail that we needed to pull out All Trails and check the map, even needing to backtrack at one point - the loop isn’t always clearly defined. Without a map to reference along the way, I can imagine I would have been frustrated. Overall, a great experience. 4/5.

Tue Aug 15 2017

Great for a very easy day hike. Be sure to walk down the boardwalk to catch a beautiful view of the pond (great place to watch the sun rise).