Ponkapoag Pond Trail

Ponkapoag Pond Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Randolph, Massachusetts that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy, Peaceful Walk. It can, at times, be a bit crowded and there’s always the doggie “land mines” to look out for. Most people do pick up after themselves though.

love walking the pond. great easy hike.

A great area! Parked in the Ponkapoag Golf Course parking lot off Rt. 138 and started down the cart path thru the course. Went over the dam then took the horse trail straight over to Route 24. Checked out the Bowley Bridge overpass then proceeded north to Duck Pond. Then headed down to the AMC camp and the beach, nice! THE HIGHLIGHT WAS WALKING THE BABCOCK BOG BOARDWALK ALL THE WAY TO THE POND (last time I was here it was too wet). Enjoyed the views there then returned through the golf course. This is a great route! Enjoy!

I hiked Ponkapoag Pond Trail during the last weekend of October with several members of my family and one dog. The trail was wonderful for a hiking beginner like myself and was easy enough for my mother who has an injured knee. The views of the pond and the Blue Hills were spectacular, especially with the foliage. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet the trail was for a beautiful Fall Saturday afternoon, particularly compared to how busy some other trails have been in the area this Fall. The few people who we did pass along the way were friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we were! We will absolutely return to this trail, but I think there were a few downsides worth pointing out. As others have said in reviews, there was a lot of horse poop - so much that I felt like I was spending more time looking down at the trail than at the picturesque surroundings. The parking lot entrance near the boat ramp was not well-labeled and both of our cars initially passed the entrance and needed to turn around, and the lot was not paved or well-cleared. We didn’t have much issue parking, but other cars seemed to struggle around exposed rocks. There were a couple of times along the trail that we needed to pull out All Trails and check the map, even needing to backtrack at one point - the loop isn’t always clearly defined. Without a map to reference along the way, I can imagine I would have been frustrated. Overall, a great experience. 4/5.

Great for a very easy day hike. Be sure to walk down the boardwalk to catch a beautiful view of the pond (great place to watch the sun rise).

easy trail well marked woods and pond views

Great easy trail; little elevation; beautiful lily pads on the lake

Nice and shaded, perfect for dogs. Lots of horse poop though.

Did 4 miles 5/30/17 morning with trail pup first time there definitely going back to loop up some trails with map....horse bridge over rte24 pretty cool and bug free, lots of horse crap

A nice flat walk. Pretty and well maintained. Going to try and check the boardwalk out again during the warmer months.

Great trail. Dog and people friendly.

Great for fresh air all winter
Nice views

Loved it! So much to explore there.

great hike can't wait to stay in cabins

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fairly easy walk / hike around the outskirts of the pond. Took around 90mins to do the full loop. Dog friendly also and we even seen some deers on the golf course.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Haven't done the full loop but will definitely go again.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Flat course. Very easy and wide for 4 legged friends. But not all that interesting as parts are crushed stone off road auto tracks. Towards the end I sought out more remote trails and they were much more pleasant. Technically it is a 4.5 mile trek. But the extra 2.5 miles I pegged on exploring the outer boundary was the best part.

Monday, January 18, 2016

If you follow the green dot trail it's 3.7 miles with 152ft max elevation. I suggest walking/running in the direction with the golf course on your left.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

You can't actually hike around the reservoir. There's a track open to the public but no hiking.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Nice trail, mostly flat, a good change of pace from the hills you find at the Blue Hills nearby.