Pine Hill, Harrington, Jack Frost, Bicentennial, and Mountain House Loop Trail

Pine Hill, Harrington, Jack Frost, Bicentennial, and Mountain House Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Princeton, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Rising above the surrounding forest to a height of 2006 feet, Mount Wachusett stands as a unique landmark within the central New England landscape. From the summit, a clear day reveals views of Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire, the Berkshires to the west, and the Boston skyline to the east. The 3,000-acre Wachusett Mountain State Reservation surrounds the summit and offers a wealth of natural and recreational resources. The Reservation's natural resources include forests, alpine meadows, ponds, streams, fields, and even a perched bog. Recreational opportunities abound at the reservation including hiking, nature study, hawk watching, picnicking, and skiing. The Reservation offers 17 miles of hiking and walking trails.

Challenging yet not too much so. The day I went it was pretty muddy and it was slippery in quite a few places. Overall had a great time.

Incredibly crowded late on a Sunday morning in July, and the summit is VERY crowded with noisy families due to a parking area near the top. Views are nice but not spectacular, obscured by towers and tourists. There’s a lot of up and down, a very indirect way to the top (but a nice workout with a few overlooks). I took the left fork at the beginning of this loop so I summited near the end of this hike... I think I would have been too annoyed with the circuitous route to finish had I gone the other way!

Hiked with my 7 year old. Beautiful weather, some muddy spots with recent rain. Great variety and all around great time.

Rocky trail with several scenic overlooks. Viewing platform at the top. Recommend good footwear. Avoid when rocks are wet especially links like the Bicentennial trail. Treasure this place so close to home.

Hiked a variation of the Reservation Loop Trail from suggestion by Katharine Lange. Park at Visitors Center and follow Donbrowo Trail to ski area. Donbrowo not shown on my AllTrails app. Pass lodge and pick up Balance Rock Trail to Old Indian Trail. Balance Rock is an interesting large erratic. Avoid crossing active ski area by bearing right onto Semuhenna to West Side then back to Old Indian. Check out vista to SW not marked on map before final climb to summit. Down Harrington passed Vista well marked to Link to Jack Frost (very nice walk through large evergreens) to High Meadow (another vista) and back to Visitors center via Bicentennial. High Meadow to Bicentennial link not shown on AT app. About 5 mile loop in about 3 hours. Certainly would do this loop again. 40 degrees and 20 MPH winds made it chilly on top.

Did Mountain House Trail. Lot of people but nice trail.

Recommend parking at visitor's center then taking the Donboro Trail--> Balance Rock --> Old Indian --> *Summit* --> Loop Trail back to parking lot. Gives you summit toward the end, something to look forward to! Views were truly spectacular, could see all the way from Mt Greylock to Mt Monadnock to Boston. Trails were well marked and clear. Food afterwards: Princeton Pizza House!

what a nice relaxing hike. nice day. i always fight going to wachesset but when i get there i all ways enjoy it. thank you for another great walk in the woods.

A perfect weather day! Although the park was busy, this hike kept us off the more popular trails until the decent down Pine Hill Trail. There is quite a bit of elevation gained that is given back before hitting the summit, so expect some climbing. The final push to the summit is pretty steep but manageable. My 13 y/o daughter loved it. My 10 y/o was pushed quite a bit. We are definitely going back again and will try a different loop. The park rangers were a tremendous help as well...I recommend you talk with them prior to taking off.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Good quick hike close to home

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Definitely the most 'civilized' hike we've ever done. Plenty of parking lots to choose from, and there was quite a crowd today. Not enough to be annoying or anything, but I'm usually expecting solitude when I go for mountain hikes.

Lots of these people brought their dogs! I love that, though. Got the guts to ask one owner to pet his super fluffy pup. Everyone was friendly, as was the staff.

It was a bit wet from the rain the day before, but otherwise, the trails were well kept and the roads were well paved. Taking a star off for the views at the top being only okay.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

short hike with rewarding views from the summit

Monday, July 03, 2017

omg it was sooo amazing I can't wait to do It again. It is kind of challenging if you never hiked before

Monday, June 19, 2017

No trash. Friendly people. Cloudy day but still a great hike!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Went up the mountain today in the rain, it was misty yet peaceful with only a couple other hikers

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Went on Sunday before Memorial Day, and it was PACKED. Would not recommend. I did Balance Rock trail from the parking lot and connected to Old Indian Trail. It was cool to walk across 3 of the ski trails. At once point you cross a crosswalk along the auto road which was quite lame... and from there, the trail gets STEEP. I got caught up in quite a crowd of people on the steepest part. Not ideal. Also, very buggy and muddy. Overall, not my favorite hike, but for MA, not bad I guess...

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Nice short hike. Great to get a friend or family member into hiking or a good first hike of the year (before legs are in shape). Unfortunately we had overcast skies and didn't get to enjoy the view from the top.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Fun trail , alittle muddy and decent traffic

Monday, February 20, 2017

Nice winter hike to the summit! Shorter route is mountain house trail at end of Gregory road! Straight 1 mile up to top.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Great view from top!

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Hiking anytime awesome
Hiking anytime with brothers and daughter priceless

Monday, November 07, 2016

The scenery was amazing even this late in the season.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

The well marked trails were a good workout. We did a 5 mile loop which of course took in the summit. My favorite time for hiking is in the fall when the foliage is in full color. I enjoy the peace and solitude of the trails and the scenic overlooks. Today, the trails were like Interstate 95 at rush hour. At times you had to wait on the side as lines of hikers past you coming from the opposite direction. The summit was disappointing as it was overcast and very hazy. Good scenic pics were out of the question. The crowds there also detracted from the moment. I think the bottom line is that the best time to hike this Mountain would be any day during the week if you want solitude. I will do this hike again someday (during the week) as there are many more trails I want to explore.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Awesome trails, enjoy the nature.... beautiful view on the top of the summit. ✨

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Old Indian trail one of the best

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Lots of nice trails and I've literally been on every single one. There can be a lot of foot traffic but it's expected, especially when the mountain road is open.

So thankful this mountain is literally right outside my front door!

Monday, August 01, 2016

Awesome! I love pine hill trail ! I use it to train for others ! It's hard the first time but on the 2nd and 3rd visit it's easier !

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Nice trail

Monday, June 27, 2016

If you are looking for a quick hike with moderate workout and decent views, this is a good option to consider. The trails were moderate, sometimes even easy. We parked near the entrance to the state park and took the Old Indian trail to the Summit that took about 20 minutes. The entrance fee is $5. There is a watch tower on the summit. The views were OK. There was decent foot traffic on the trails as it was a weekend with great weather. On our way back, we took the Harrington trail, to Semuhenna trail(easy), to West side and then the Old Indian trail back to the car.