Nashua River Trail

Nashua River Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Groton, Massachusetts that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 118 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

I road the trail today from Nashua to Ayer. Beautiful ride, beautiful views along the way, everything I had hoped for during the 25 mile round trip. I will definitely ride this amazing trail again.

My wife and I launched our kayaks at the Pepperell, Massachusetts boat launch, and while I was not initially excited the three hour paddle turned into a wonderful experience. We saw no less than four beautiful Great Blue Herons, A number of geese; some with young ones, and the closest view ever, of a Great Bald Eagle! It was almost magical and very relaxing. I can imagine that the water vegetation gets quite thick later in the summer, but we had a fantastic time in this beautiful and quiet watershed area.

My dog Boadie and I really enjoyed this trail. We stayed along the water if the way. we saw a few cranes and a bald eagle. There were pretty yellow flowers and water lilies. Only ran into one family on the trail, so it's nice if you enjoy some quiet. There were a few muddy areas with horse tracks and horse poo.

bridge out

Trail started out very nice. As it progressed, it was was not well marked in some sections and lacked bridges over several streams. There were lovely views of the Nashua in some sections. Extra insect spray needed - lots of mosquitos. Many spots on trail spoiled by horse excrement.

Beautiful but it’s may and there’s a F****d up amount of mosquitos and bugs so bring two cans of bug spray

Nice trail. Little traffic

Nice flat walk through the woods. Easy enough for all abilities. made a few stops along the way to check out the river. Well marked trails and plenty of turn offs to make the hike as long or short as you like.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Lovely little trail

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Parking with a trailer is limited to trail entrance (only 1) or up the road off rail trail (also small area with limited turnarounds). Trails here are well marked and clear. There are areas with a lot of roots so doing more than a walk is difficult. Few water crossings but no bridges.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

I parked at entrance to J Harry Rich Forest . About 10 minutes before river comes in view. Very peaceful .I saw 2 herons. Nice trails . Easy walk . Great picture opps. Will be back for sure.!!

Friday, April 15, 2016

Gorgeous trail! It was difficult to find the trailhead at first. The best trailhead to start with would be down the road from the parking lot where it says Harry Rich forest. The other trailhead was way down the rail trail on the left. I would skip the part of the loop on this map that goes into the subdivision next time. The river portion has the best views. Also saw several pairs of nesting swans. Spectacular!

Monday, July 13, 2015

I run on here almost every day. Not too buggy. It keeps me out of the sun. It has nice views of the Nashua river. Perfect for me..(-:

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Walk this everyday with my dog. Great 3 mile loop.

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Great place to walk your dogs most of it is off leash.

paddle sports
Monday, February 27, 2012

Took my two teenagers and their two friends who had not kayaked before. Was a very nice paddle for anyone. Was easy even against a slight current and plenty to explore for those who like to wander off the main stream. We went for a sunset paddle and they had a blast.