Mount Washington Alander Mountain Trail

Mount Washington Alander Mountain Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Egremont, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the beginning of the summer (2018) when I decided to start hiking again, I kept seeing this trail when searching out what hike to do in the area. It was listed as "hard" by AllTrails so I didn't think I should try it right away. After doing the AT up to the top of Greylock last weekend, I figured now was as good a time as any. In reality, this shouldn't be listed as hard. It's a moderate ascent up to the top. The trail is fairly wide most of the way though it does have a lot of rocks you must traverse. Started at the Mt. Washington State Forest entrance and it took me about 1.5 hours to reach the top and that was with stops to enjoy the scenery, take pictures and so forth. Didn't see a soul my entire time out but not sure if that was due to the trail or the weather or both. I got to the top but though the weatherman said the area was supposed to be partly cloudy, it was more than that. The view at the top was disappointing as I have read it has wonderful 360 views. I was also a bit surprised how small the top was really. Don't expect a Mt. Greylock wide open and fairly spacious area. I saw four support bases there and think there must have been a fire tower at one time. The trail is really easy to follow and marked well. It appears it's really just a path that the rain runoff uses than a trail that was blazed and marked for everyone. When you get to just about the top, there is a small cabin. At this point, if you pass the cabin, you can go left or right. Right goes up a little steep incline and that leads to the summit. I'm thinking that if you went the other way, it just continues on to the South Taconic trail.
At the summit, there is another branch off and was not really sure what that was but looking once I got home to do this, it looks like it goes up to Bash Bish Falls a few miles north. For 99% of the way, the trail was marked fine as I mentioned but at the cabin, trail markings are lacking. Got to the top, took pictures and then the rain came. I went back down to the cabin and waited about 15 minutes then descended to the parking lot. I got a little wet but this area is mostly deep woods so the rain wasn't so bad. Don't expect lookout side views on this trail but there are a few nice brooks and waterfalls to enjoy. If it was warmer, there is an area that looks like you could wade in to cool off. A nice hike but could have been better if I waited about 3 hours to start it as once I got back to my car, the clouds started parting and the sun came out, who knew, oh well.

The route on the map leaves from and returns to the Mt. Washington HQ but if you have two cars (as we did), the best way is to park one at the Alander Brook trailhead in New York, then drive your other car up to Mt. Washington and leave from there. A somewhat easier trek up to Alander than leaving from the NY side and you can just keep going downhill after you hit the Alander summit and enjoy the other views on the way down. Amazing views from the top of Alander!

I started out early in the morning. It was a long gentle climb. I was alone at the summit, amazing views, the clouds were below me! Total serenity and peace! I could see all the way to the Catskills! I recommend this hike

This was a moderate pretty hike with a great view.

At the very end of this trail are fabulous views of the Hudson valley, Catskills to the west, Mt.Everett to the east, and the Taconic range to the south.

Awesome fun and had a blast, but was a bit sketchy because it had just rained. I Biked/walked my bike up 11/12 of the way up then hucked it back down!

Excellent Views! Nice gentle, sloping trail! Amazing Ridge!

Challenging in the sense that it feels like you're climbing on a stair master the entire time. No rock scrambling and not very difficult, just a steep walk up. Views were breathtaking at the summit. Acorns and loose rocks going down can make it a bit slippery so a bit of caution there is recommended - but overall a easy hike

really nice view and pretty easy trail

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice moderate ascent to summit. Outstanding views multiple vantage points to walk around to. Definite recommend.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

A good hike with moderate terrain. Great views from the summit. To bad no trail assoc to maintain the cabin.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Planned a West side Alander Mountain trail. For a day after heavy rain, the trail was fine, expectedly, reasonably wet/dry. Bridges, wet fords, trails sharing stream beds. Shortest route to summit, but climbs & mixed up & down on return. If an in & out, one may partly hike S. Taconic for it's view from the summit, it is marked. Otherwise all day it, or overnight. Used trailhead from Mt. Washington State Forest HQ.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

I would definitely rank this as intermediate, as there were only a few short sections with a steep incline. The trail was really beautiful, a few waterfalls and tons of streams. A few streams interrupted the path when i went yesterday but nothing too difficult to hike around. I would absolutely recommend this hike.

Monday, November 07, 2016

good hiking, nice view

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Trail was very easy to follow. Difficulty didn't start til about 1mi from the summit- views were absolutely breathtaking

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Amazing views and foliage.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Such a good hike - came across a wolf and a rattlesnake on the hike and deer on the way in. The park rangers at the bottom were super friendly and gave me a map which was nice! Beautiful entrance to the hike and first half mile with wild flowers and a footbridge/brook. Steep ascent in a great way. Lots of rocks, almost feels like a consistent scramble more than a trail. The summit is long, pretty flat, and gorgeous.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This is a great short hike. I would say it is moderate and not hard. The payoff is great, tremendous. Fabulous views from the top well worth the effort. The trail is well marked except for the top where you have a variety of trails that peel of. Nice back country camping spot about a mile into the trail. Wold do this trail again. and again.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Hike itself was average and not much vertical climb. What made this four stars is the view from the top. Can see East, South, and West if you explore the summit a bit. Catskills, Taconics, Hudson Valley are all visible as well as sunrise/sunset.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Descent view!

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

This is a trail with some incredible views. Their is an area of steep climbing but it is well worth it. our trip was a 5.3 mile loop. Check out my full write up along with things to look out for.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Did a variation of this trail, a loop that connects with Ashley Hill trail at the campground. We checked out the campgrounds and there was still about 6-8 inches of snow. Hoping to go back soon for camping and more hiking.

Monday, April 02, 2012