Learn more

Mount Williams, Mount Fitch, Mount Greylock, and Stony Ledge

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(176)
Mount Greylock State Reservation

Mount Williams, Mount Fitch, Mount Greylock, and Stony Ledge is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Williamstown, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,015 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a beautiful hike that starts along Money Brook and follows it to a waterfall. It's one of the best hikes in the Berkshire region because it features the tallest mountain in Massachusetts. It follows Money Brook at the start, which makes for a very nice gradual beginning to this difficult hike. Money Brook trail starts gradually and works its way up the deep valley between Greylock and Mt Prospect. The trail passes a beautiful waterfall that is worth diverting from the trail for. At the head of the valley the route joins the Appalachian Trail and follows the AT south over Mt Williams, Mt Fitch and on to the Greylock summit, which has pretty good views of Fitch and Williams. The views from Greylock summit are spectacular. Returning from the summit, continue south on the AT to the Hopper Trail and follow it through the campground on Sperry Road and out to stony ledge with spectacular views of Greylock and the Hopper. Take the Haley Farm Trail on the right, which ends up right where you started.

Great hike with amazing views, don't miss the waterfall. The distance is what gives this hike it's "hard" rating, the climb is not that bad.

Wheeeewee! Very good hike but very tough. Very clearly marked the whole way. By the time you get to Mt Williams, you’re done with most of the uphill except for one intense stretch up to mount Greylock. Beautiful views at both mountains and stony ledge. We didn’t ever explicitly see Mt Fitch but assume we passed it along the way and it wasn’t marked. Last two miles from stony ledge to the trailhead along Haley’s Farm is pretty steep downhill. Our quads were pretty wiped out so we definitely felt it going down. Bring plenty of water and snacks. Took us about 6 hours. Great hike, totally worth it!!! One of the best we’ve done in this area.

What a lovely full-day hike. It can be a little confusing at the beginning, as there's a lot of trails shooting off, few blazes, and no cell service to check so it was unclear which trail I should be taking at first but once you start gaining elevation, it becomes much clearer. There are a few steep parts but the main thing that makes this hard is the length. Lovely breezes, and I definitely recommend the .1mi "detour" to the Money Brook waterfall and to follow the route to Stony Ledge and the Haley Farm Trail instead of taking shorter Hopper all the way down, even if you're tired. Both are fantastic. Bonus - very few people (on a weekday) and everyone was maintaining distance, putting on masks when others were close, etc.

Definitely a challenging hike that makes a lot of sense starting by the brook and traveling through the hopper, then going to each mountain ending with Greylock, and coming down hopper Trail. Offers some of the most fantastic views I’ve ever seen on a hike. Conditions were a little muddy, but it rained the night before so understandable. Definitely some issues with mayflies, but it’s also May LOL summit of Greylock absolutely worth the climb with breathtaking views! However, also had it’s physically challenging moments. Get a couple hikes under your belt before trying this long one!

icy

Hiked this on Thursday and what a challenge!! The falls are definitely worth the quick walk out to, stop and snack there too. It had snowed the night before, so conditions as you ascended got very snowy which slowed us down. The final ascent to Mount Greylock was icy and we needed crampons. We made it in our boots, but would have been better and safer with crampons. Definitely want to do this hike again in the fall. Also check the map when you hit the road on the way down, we accidentally went off trail for a while because the real trail is behind you. Overall, this took us 9 hours because of the conditions.

icy

Great trail, it’s April 11, 2020 and there was lots of snow and ice on the trails. Appalachian trail was at times hard to follow as it is marked white so the trail markings easily hid with the snow. Suggest stopping at money brook falls. Absolutely amazing! We had a wonderful day, total of a smidge over 14 miles :)

icy

Great hike took me around seven hours, the hardest is get to the top then is a piece of cake, Dogs are ok use boots if possible getting to the top is a little icy

This was quite a strenuous hike to get you to the tallest point in Massachusetts. Definitely makes you feel like you earned the high point. Took about seven hours to complete with decent amount of stops for photos. It’s still a bit cold and there was snow and ice at the top. I’d recommend bringing micro spikes if you plan to do this now. The trail was well-marked with tree blazes and very straight forward. Views at the top were amazing and scenery along the Money Brook trail was beautiful. Definitely take the short detour to see the waterfall. Overall, an excellent challenging hike to anyone physically fit. This hike makes it Highpoint #20 for me.

Last mile up Hopper Rd to the Trail head a little unstable; Make sure you have all-wheel drive. I did the hike Monday, January 15. It has been unseasonably warm. Muddy at the base but foggy and icy near/at the peak of Graylock. Gorgeous hike. The 1st Trail, Money Brook was especially beautiful. Great workout. After you hit Graylock’s peak, you only have 5 miles left and they’re all downhill. It took this 51 year old who thought he was in good shape most of the daylight hours. I took my time though.

Great scenery and solitude. 5 hours.

This hike is more mileage. I didnt even know I summited Fitch. This map makes you walk on the road. So to fix that using the map provided at the starting point. At the campsites I went right at the intersection. Between the road going straight(the one all trails uses) and turning right there is a small brown trail sign the says hopper trail. I followed that 2.1 miles to the original trail. The hike was well marked! Going clockwise its blue, white, blue. No scrambles. I can see how it would be very muddy after rain. I did this hike in 7 hours and 4 mins including 1 hour and 15 minutes for lunch and potty breaks. Would I do it again? Probably if I needed to try snowshoes out on a longer hike to see if I could do an overnight with them, but no probably not. You only get 3 views max and 2 of them are at the top of Greylock.

Nice trails. Well marked

This was a fun loop. There were a couple of nice views. Stoney Ledge was a great view and huge campsite.

I started my hike from the Wilbur's Clearing connector trail head - blue blazes - (parking available) located just off Notch Rd - less than a 1/4 mile from the trailhead take a right to connect to the AT South Trail (white blazes) to Mt Williams, ridge line of Mt Fitch and the summit of Mt Greylock. The 3.5 mile or 7 mile out and back from (Wilbur's Clearing Trailhead to Summit of Mt Greylock - according to my tracker) is well marked with several other trail junctions/connectors along the way. Keeping a moderate pace with several stops along the way to take in the vistas - hiking time from trailhead to summit 1.5 hrs - out and back 3 hrs. I returned via the same trail I ascended, however, make sure you reverse your direction and pick up the AT North trailhead near the Thunderbolt Shelter to head back to the Wilbur's Clearing trailhead. Bring plenty of water, snacks and wear a good pair of trail shoes, trekking poles are helpful along the steep sections of the trail and for catching your balance and taking pressure off knees on the descent. Make sure to go inside the Veterans Memorial Tower and climb the stairs to the 360 observation area - great vistas and photo ops. It was pleasure hiking with you Mark as we made our way from Mt Williams to the summit of Mt Greylock - keep on trekking and safe hiking.

Hiked this trail early August. There are maps of the area available at the parking lot. Trail is well marked and there are no difficult sections. Apart from Greylock summit, and one or two look-outs, the trail offers no view points.

Sun May 26 2019

Sat Apr 20 2019

Made this an overnight, hiking in via Money Brook trail and staying at the Wilbur’s clearing lean-to. Hike was less muddy than expected, but was very icy on the final approach to the summit of Greylock, and especially on the initial descent. Micro spikes would’ve been very helpful, but managed to get down safely without. I would definitely recommend this loop!