Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Tom via Quarry Trail

Mount Tom via Quarry Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Holyoke, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Parking available in a lot across from the trail head or in parking areas on the side of Rt. 141.

Fun place to go hiking. Make sure to wear hiking boots.

The trail highlighted on the map is not the Quarry Trail. The trail highlighted red on the map is the New England Trail. Please, correct this. Otherwise, be prepared for a very muddy Quarry Trail.

recorded Mount Tom via Quarry Trail

I hiked this with my mom. Both of us are experienced hikers, but we had trouble getting oriented from the Quarry Trail to the M&M ( go right or left?) There was no signage to help, just laminated maps. The money taker in the welcome kiosk admitted he never hiked there, so he was no help. We finally figured it out ourselves. The views were great. The rock ledges and outcroppings were cool. I was completely disappointed in the "summit". It was covered in graffiti. The cell towers, chain link fences and power sheds totally took away the pleasure of the climb. (I will admit that the old ski lift support and wind mill a little before the summit were cool. ) Also we didn't know where the B 17 memorial was ( Again, the guy in the kiosk was NO help)...so we were not able to visit it and I had REALLY wanted to.

Did this on a cloudy, muggy day and loved every minute of it. I took Kay Bee—Keystone—Quarry—MM all the way down to the 141 entrance than back MM—DOC—Knox—Bray Valley to Bray Loop. So much to see! There are some hairy yet fun parts of MM that bring you very close to the edge, but the difficulty lies in endurance. A lot of ups and downs. This hike for me was about 12.5 miles and took six hours. Obviously you can do shorter hikes, there are great views once you hit MM. It was off and on rainy, and I slipped twice on rocks, but even that part was fun :) highly recommend, would rate as hard though based on rocky terrain.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

One of my favorite local hikes. Along the way there is a point where you get a great view of the Holyoke Resevoir on the right as you get closer to the monument. The last few times I took this trail there was some orange snow fence stretched across the trail saying it was closed for habitat protection.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Saturday, May 27, 2017

if you've never been, be prepared for rocky trails, uphill will take your breath away, afraid of heights, avoid. very scary walking along cliff. beautiful views. my thing is if start a trail you should end there, not the case, unless you want to track back the way you came, in my opinion I didn't. forgot also climbing rocks, just like rock climbing, take backpack to keep hands free for balance.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Really beautiful trail, and amazing views. The trail follows the edge a bit and gave me vertigo at times. We took a trail up and the road down, which shortened the hike a little, but we got to see the B17 crash site, which made for an all around interesting day!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Spent 3 hours hiking over 5 miles. Didn't run into many people other than on service roads. Had my friends dog with me and he loved it. We parked at the first parking lot off of Reservation Rd by Lake Bray. We didn't see the memorial but we took Keystone Trail/Extension, Quarry Trail, M&M Trail, Dynamite Trail, McCool Trail then service road up to Eyrie House Ruins. On the way back we took M&M trail to T Bagg Trail

Monday, June 03, 2013

This is a beautiful trail. There is a great view of the river a few yards off the trail about halfway in. The B-17 Memorial is beautiful too. Though longer, it is a much more gradual climb to the summit of Mt. Tom than the M&M trail. Of the times I've taken this trail, I've rarely seen anyone on this trail. Once you cross over the service road to the M&M it does get increasingly difficult, meaning more rocks to climb up.