Mount Tom Traverse via the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail

Mount Tom Traverse via the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Holyoke, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Couldn't find anything on AllTrails for section 5 only of the New England Trail/Metacomet Monadnock trail and was luckily able to record my trip with the Mt. Tom traverse section. I got off trail about a mile in. Had my head down I guess and kept going when I should have veered slightly left. You'll see around the 1 mile mark in my map where I went down and decided to come back instead of choosing a shorter route to get back on it. Still, my total distance said 5.6 miles. The sign for this section at the beginning said 5.7 miles total so I don't know if that is wrong or the AllTrails app. At this one mile mark, it goes down the hill and on top of loose stone, a section which you need to be sure where you're stepping and if you have any sort of walking issues, I suggest don't go down but keep going straight at the "Y" where you can go left and then left again which at this point is an old fire road I think. It is much easier and it will bring you to the MM trail once again. You can see the blue dotted line on my map. It's at the beginning of the Hellgate Trail and you could go up that back to the MM trail but you'd be missing a lot. There are some nice views from the cliffs you are walking across in this section. The trail as a whole is not that difficult. There are a few spots where you have to go up but nothing crazy. I suggest starting on the Rt. 202 trailhead entrance which is the southern end of this section. A nice day overall, sunny but not crazy hot. It'll take a few hours if you're just taking your time like I normally do. I am not out here to rush but instead enjoy the outdoors.

The Park is nice, well kept. The trees are fairly dense so on a hot/humid day like today, it provides some good cover. The M-M trail cuts through the park, and there's nothing tricky whatsoever about the trail.. no climbs, just a couple areas where the inclines could be described as steep. There's some old ruins up near the north end with a fire tower that is blocked off by a fence... someone of course pulled the fence back so the tower can be accessed... not that I would ever do that; I assume it's some great views. I'd summarize this as a good place for someone not looking for anything too consistently strenuous, but provides some work. Access to the park is $5 for MA residents; $10 for non-residents. You can access the M-M Trail outside the park off 141 - there's no loop however there are a series of trails you can drift around a little and arrive back to the M-M trail and get back to your vehicle... this is worth a 30-40 minute drive to get to if you want to stretch it out a bit... enjoy!

Did a stretch of the NET Metacomet-monadnock heading north from the west cherry street entrance next to revolver range. Right off the bat while I was fumbling to set up the map on my phone a black bear was headed down the trail. He spooked and ran off! Also saw some Ravens, vultures and some type of finch that was black, red and white...all the animals pose when you don't bring your camera. 8.5 miles later I was at route 5 in east Hampton where there are many other trails including the manahan rail trail but no continuance of white blazed mm trail....and that's because of the Connecticut river! You have to either walk the main drag and over the bridge or drive...was kind of bummed that it's disjointed suddenly. But it was a good hike. I was shot so I thought it would be easier to walk the main drag back to the vehicle...not recommended...little shoulder and big trucks. Happy trails.

Awesome view on the ledges. Don’t forget to stop at the memorial for a B 17 flight crew and service members that perished in a crash in 1946

The views of easthampton are spectacular!

Awesome view points. Worth it

Hard trail but well worth it. I took my dog and she did fine. Be prepared for some steeps climbs. Views are amazing

We did this hike a little different and we had a great time. great views and rock formations. It was worth the trip. Check out my full write up along with some things to look out for.

Exactly as the descriptor for 2 stars says: “Meh. Nothing to write home about.” But we went on this hike a few days before Christmas. Wasn’t very pretty and I honestly didn’t find the views all too impressive; the trail is lined with radio and cell towers, and there is graffiti all over the rocks. The descent was precarious as it was littered with downed leaves, ice, mud, and loose rocks, but we made it. The starting climb from 141 was definitely a decent little workout, though. The rock scrambles were fun.

Hike this trail yearly especially in Fall. Love the ever changing VIEWS along the way...

It’s best to do this hike from the opposite end of the loop rather than the way it’s described. Drive into the state park rather than parking your car route 141. That way the views get gradually better and better as you go along.

It’s definitely one of the best hikes in the Amherst area. Great views to the west. The volcanic rock is really interesting breaking off into geometric bits. The only downsides are the radio towers at the summit and the graffiti on some of the rocks.

Grew up hiking this trail, always my favorite to do at least once a year especially in the fall. There are so many spots to catch a great view on your way up too.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

absolutely astounding view

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Park closes at 8pm in the summer, which was a bummer; we would have liked to stay for sunset! overall, loved this hike! many trail options for all hiking needs. Took the Keystone Trail/keystone extension from the parking lot to access the M-M. Gradual incline, no stress! At the peak, there are several clearings to view Western Mass, its like you keep peaking! Trails were extremely well-marked.

Friday, August 04, 2017

nice hike, the small loose rocks can be tricky. awesome view

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Excellent hike! Very steep in places, wouldn't recommend if you're a beginner or bringing small children. Absolutely amazing views, best in the area!

Monday, June 26, 2017

View is worth the hike

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great views. Enjoyable trail. Well marked.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

The views are AMAZING. And you don't need to complete this to the summit of Mt. Tom to get spectacular views. We did complete Mt. Tom today but if I did it again, I'd probably just decide after the 10th amazing vista that I've seen enough. It's like ALL vista. And the view at the top was worth the hike but the summit itself is unimpressive. I don't actually mind the radio/cell towers, but there was a ton of concrete falling apart everywhere, and not even a gazebo/pavilion to escape the sun for a few minutes.

I am a very novice hiker. This was the highest/longest hike I've ever done. It was HARD for me. But lots of people seemed to have no trouble.

Warning: the beginning of this hike it VERY steep but the views beyond that are incredible. Push through it. Little work for BIG reward.

I will definitely return.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Popular trails in the area. Some are more difficult than others but either way a workout during climbing up. The views up top are nice too.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

good fun i take kids there all the time to hike

Sunday, November 20, 2016

little slippery, from all the leaves, very steep at some parts, nice workout, beautiful view.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Amazing views!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

This trail was a solid pre work exercise on a beautiful fall day. Gorgeous views from the top of mount tom! Will be hiking this trail again very soon!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beautiful area!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

great hike with lots of options to take different trails. near the top there were a lot of loose rocks, but it was manageable. we did a 4.6 mile loop from the base to the summit. the dog loved it as well!

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Not a hard hike but the loose rock and be challenging to walk on. Watch your step! Great day hike with beautiful views. I love climbing the cliffs at night to watch the stars (just don't go alone).

Friday, June 10, 2016

Tough trail, but the view was worth it!

Saturday, June 04, 2016