Mount Toby Trail

Mount Toby Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sunderland, Massachusetts that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Loop

1 Parking area is on Reservation Road in Sunderland. Reservation Road starts in Montague then over the town line to Sunderland.

Awesome trails and the fire tower was open. Trail markers weren’t great, so we used the phone app to keep track of where we needed to go. No portapotties at the trailhead. We did this loop counterclockwise (steep part first and then a long downhill.

Easy to find, easy parking, beautiful trail along the pond. We heard there was not much water at the falls so we made our way to the caves - very cool! Quiet and serene Sunday walk. Not too difficult

Tower was closed, way too steep but found a nice place to bury a body

The fairly steep trail to the caves was worth it! Not too many bugs, but I wore repellant bracelets and a net-hat. Took me 1 he 20 min, but I am a slow/moderate paced walker.

Nice workout. I did the fire tower road coming down and the steep straight up trail that follows the utility poles going up. the other reviewers are correct, The summit doesn't have much of a view unless your brave enough to climb the tower. great views up there. ***I will say it's the little side trails that are the best. You are NOT winning at life if you dont at least take the Cranberry Pond side trail AND even more importantly the Roaring Falls trail. the rock caves and moss covered rock trail and waterfall are spectacular. Both these trails loop right back on to the main fire tower trail. so BONUS: no having to turn around. Be sure to take the roaring falls trail to the railroad tracks esp in the fall. the waterfall then train tracks are stunning. I'm surprised Zero people have mentioned these side trails. I took me 2 hours and some change to do the loop with 2 or 3 side trails that meet back up with the main trail. pretty easy.

Good workout and fairly steep getting up to fire tower, but no view unless you’re willing to climb the tower itself (which we were not.) Comfortable and pretty walk down the longer route, including along creek.

Definitely a tough but rewarding hike. Ended up with exactly 7 miles total that started by heading right immediately from the trailhead on Reservation Road, following the Robert Frost Trail then picking up the Cave Trail to check out the caves. We picked up the Sugar House Trail briefly before taking the Bridle Path to get us back over to the Robert Frost Trail. From here to the fire tower was very steep. The cab of the fire tower is locked but you still get great views in all directions. We took the Robert Frost Trail heading south to get off the mountain, and this was a much more gradual descent than our approach from the north had been. Lots of kids, dogs, and older folks on this trail. We knew we wanted to check out Roaring Mountain so we took that detour. The climb up was so steep and never-ending and there are no views at the top, but a good workout. We retraced our steps back to the Tower Road Trail, and followed that for a while until we veered off again, this time to follow the Roaring Falls Trail. Eventually we met up again with Tower Road and then made our way back to the trailhead.

Lost dog! Please help, my friend lost his dog on Mount Toby. Ace is a male Australian Shepherd. He is Blue Merle color. Wearing Collar with tags. 413-834-1357 or 413-406-8842.

My daughter and I hiked up the tower trail and she was caring her two-month-old son Henry. We took the tower trail to the top. Disappointed at the top that there’s not much of a view unless you climb the fire tower. We then came down the blue trail which was steeper and eroded in places. The bugs weren’t too bad and it wasn’t too awfully hot. Great time to spend with the family!

We wanted to extend both the distance and the difficulty of the Mt. Toby Loop. From the parking lot we started up the Tower Rd.Trail. After a mile, we branched off onto the Robert Frost Trail which became steep. We then took the Link Trail back to Tower Rd up to the fire tower. We took Tower Rd. back to the parking lot. Our pedometer read 6.2 miles for a round trip We were mostly in the shade and the insects weren't that bad. Overall a good hike.

Tough telephone line trail as always reminds me how out of shape I am but I love it every time

easy

Sun Jan 13 2019

Nice quick hike with beautiful views of the valley.

Fri Oct 19 2018

Super nice hike. Well marked trails. Most people are really dog friendly.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Pretty hike with a nice view from the fire tower. Detour to Roaring Falls is well marked, plus a fun scramble on some impressive rock formations. The detour to the pond is worth it as well.

Mon Aug 27 2018

Great hike. Fairly well marked, though some of the trees with marks on them have fallen. The waterfall is not part of the loop, but is easy to find. The trails are well maintained but tend to be buggy and muddy so I reccomend wearing appropriate footwear.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Steep on the telephone trail

Thu Sep 28 2017

Hike was nice. Went counter-clock route. Steeper part first. Very poorly marked. Had to follow the map on the app. Got to the top and the tower is the only way to get a view and the tower is blocked, you can't get to the top. Multiple picnic tables to take a break.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Nice quick morning hike. Parking on the side of Reservation Rd by the trailhead. We did the reverse loop (up the steeper northern trail and down the longer southern road) to get a better workout and save our knees a steep downhill. It really isn't a bad incline though, and pretty short (from the loop fork it took us maybe 40 min to the top, if that). Good workout and nice views from the fire tower. I would do this again for a short hike, especially over more crowded options like Sugarloaf. (Note- side trails are not too confusing, but if you're worried about it the app helps follow along very nicely.)

Mon Jul 17 2017

Great excercise. Steep, loose rocky hills once you get past the first mile on gravel roads. Peaceful little waterfall near the bottom of the mountain. Buggy all around. Pretty views on the mountain peak if you climb up the fire tower, otherwise it's more of just a clearing. Definitly reccomend making the climb up the tower if you're gonna hike the mountain.