Mount Toby Trail

Mount Toby Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sunderland, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 Parking area is on Reservation Road in Sunderland. Reservation Road starts in Montague then over the town line to Sunderland.

Steep on the telephone trail

Hike was nice. Went counter-clock route. Steeper part first. Very poorly marked. Had to follow the map on the app. Got to the top and the tower is the only way to get a view and the tower is blocked, you can't get to the top. Multiple picnic tables to take a break.

Nice quick morning hike. Parking on the side of Reservation Rd by the trailhead. We did the reverse loop (up the steeper northern trail and down the longer southern road) to get a better workout and save our knees a steep downhill. It really isn't a bad incline though, and pretty short (from the loop fork it took us maybe 40 min to the top, if that). Good workout and nice views from the fire tower. I would do this again for a short hike, especially over more crowded options like Sugarloaf. (Note- side trails are not too confusing, but if you're worried about it the app helps follow along very nicely.)

Great excercise. Steep, loose rocky hills once you get past the first mile on gravel roads. Peaceful little waterfall near the bottom of the mountain. Buggy all around. Pretty views on the mountain peak if you climb up the fire tower, otherwise it's more of just a clearing. Definitly reccomend making the climb up the tower if you're gonna hike the mountain.

great trail. we went up and came down the steeper route but it was good exercise. the view from the fire tower is really worth it!! the path wasn't very buggy but there were some very muddy patches (because of the rain).

good hike... trail markers and app routes do not go hand in hand. no waterfalls on this trail.

Great workout if you follow the trail straight up! We were here on a rainy day so there was alot of flowing water all around us. The fog made the viewing a bit tough but it was still well worth the climb up the fire tower.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

beautiful views from the tower at the top

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Awesome trail great views good challenge

Monday, October 10, 2016

Make sure you start at the correct spot! I didn't start where the official entrance was, unbeknownst to me. I ended up lost for 2 hours thinking I was on the "loop" but really I was on a side trail. All the side trails are marked red, which made me SO LOST trying to find my way back. Also, the red and orange markers look very similar in some parts. This area could really use some updating especially due to the fact that all the non main trails are marked red, and I was never able to find a map online to help me find my way back. I had to climb all the way back up the mountain and down again to come out in the correct spot.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

View at the top of the tower is very nice.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Great trail for training, and not too many people. It has a good amount of uphill, lots of opportunity for variation on routes, and a great view when you get to the top and climb the fire tower. it's an awesome hike for dogs as well, good visibility, pretty consistent terrain (no need to worry about rocks or tender paws), 97% in the shade. Just bring a good amount of water for both of you if you are going on a hot or humid day. Have fun!

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Amazing hiking and perfect for a day hike, Hiked with my 13 year old and had a great time. Love this app, it helped with timing and so much more!

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Make sure you check out the waterfall

Monday, October 20, 2014

No view if you don't climb the fire tower at the top. And a little hint...when you get to the loop, go left for the gradual climb...otherwise it's straight up, and pretty tough...learned the hard way.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Just completed this with my 4 year old daughter. Great hike the summit is not amazing but the fire tower is always a hit! A little steep but not too bad. Lots of toads and a baby snake seen on the way. Over all pretty great.

Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pretty great trail! It's a little rough near the water as the amount of bugs are insane but its easy and the view from the fire tower is incredible. The climb is a bit steep but totally worth it.

skiing
Sunday, March 31, 2013

I went on this trail last week (march 18?) after some good snow. I hiked up with a friend and made some good little jumps. It was fun but not quite steep enough. Beautiful out there though.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I hiked this trail the end of may. The weather was fantastic but given the waterfalls and he nearby reservoir it can be a bit "buggy" so be prepared for that. Nothing untypical to new Englanders though. We hiking the trail in 2.5 hours, so as long as you're not stopping every 20 minutes you should be able to complete the trail in well under 4 hours. Lots of dogs are on this trail too, so be aware they are not on leashes.

Friday, April 13, 2012

I have hiked this trail many times, summer and winter. There are at least two ways to reach the summit. The northern trail follows the power lines up and is quite steep, this section can be very icy in the winter months. The southern approach is longer but much less steep. Both trails will lead to the tower at the summit. The views from the tower are awesome! Well worth the hike.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mount Toby was a pretty easy hike if you take Tower Rd. It's basically a logging road that leads to the Tower at the top. I hiked it in about 3hr 30min in the winter. No snow had fallen but water runoff made some spots very icy. I'll go back to hike the other trails but all in all it was pretty good. You can see Mt Monadnock off to the distance from the top on a clear day. The area has 5 waterfalls which may be pretty fun to see during the fall or early spring.