Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Toby Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunderland, Massachusetts that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 921 feet Route Type: Loop

The fire tower is currently closed due to COVID 19.

The hike isn't pleasant: there are no views along the route, at the top the fire tower is the only spot that offers a 360° view, but due to the covid it is temporary closed (its very top is closed, you can still climb up the stairs, yet it isn't comparable), the steepness is constantly ca. 45° which isn't pleasant to both go up & down, the trail itself isn't very scenic. We both consider this trail a waste of time

There are a lot of trails converging and it was difficult to figure out which was which without using GPS. Went up the steep side and it went fairly quickly. The tower is currently closed for Corona virus.

Good hike, trails were cleared out very well. Ended up taking a side trail to Roaring Mountain, steep trail - not as wide or clear, but still well marked - but not much of a view from there. Nice view from the fire tower!

Did this one backwards, went up the steep trail first, easy trail down. It's muddy but fun

Delightful walk with Eric and our 3 dogs. Bonnie ran and ran but stayed in bell range and was well behaved. Just enough snow to make the woods beautiful and just enough ice to make me glad of yak tracks. Snow was imminent and visibility from the fire tower was nonexistent. Temperatures in the teens but comfortable as long as we kept moving. We encountered a group of 4 people and 4 dogs on the way down and enjoyed each other’s company for the last mile or so.

Awesome trails and the fire tower was open. Trail markers weren’t great, so we used the phone app to keep track of where we needed to go. No portapotties at the trailhead. We did this loop counterclockwise (steep part first and then a long downhill.

Easy to find, easy parking, beautiful trail along the pond. We heard there was not much water at the falls so we made our way to the caves - very cool! Quiet and serene Sunday walk. Not too difficult

Tower was closed, way too steep but found a nice place to bury a body

The fairly steep trail to the caves was worth it! Not too many bugs, but I wore repellant bracelets and a net-hat. Took me 1 he 20 min, but I am a slow/moderate paced walker.

Nice workout. I did the fire tower road coming down and the steep straight up trail that follows the utility poles going up. the other reviewers are correct, The summit doesn't have much of a view unless your brave enough to climb the tower. great views up there. ***I will say it's the little side trails that are the best. You are NOT winning at life if you dont at least take the Cranberry Pond side trail AND even more importantly the Roaring Falls trail. the rock caves and moss covered rock trail and waterfall are spectacular. Both these trails loop right back on to the main fire tower trail. so BONUS: no having to turn around. Be sure to take the roaring falls trail to the railroad tracks esp in the fall. the waterfall then train tracks are stunning. I'm surprised Zero people have mentioned these side trails. I took me 2 hours and some change to do the loop with 2 or 3 side trails that meet back up with the main trail. pretty easy.

Good workout and fairly steep getting up to fire tower, but no view unless you’re willing to climb the tower itself (which we were not.) Comfortable and pretty walk down the longer route, including along creek.

Definitely a tough but rewarding hike. Ended up with exactly 7 miles total that started by heading right immediately from the trailhead on Reservation Road, following the Robert Frost Trail then picking up the Cave Trail to check out the caves. We picked up the Sugar House Trail briefly before taking the Bridle Path to get us back over to the Robert Frost Trail. From here to the fire tower was very steep. The cab of the fire tower is locked but you still get great views in all directions. We took the Robert Frost Trail heading south to get off the mountain, and this was a much more gradual descent than our approach from the north had been. Lots of kids, dogs, and older folks on this trail. We knew we wanted to check out Roaring Mountain so we took that detour. The climb up was so steep and never-ending and there are no views at the top, but a good workout. We retraced our steps back to the Tower Road Trail, and followed that for a while until we veered off again, this time to follow the Roaring Falls Trail. Eventually we met up again with Tower Road and then made our way back to the trailhead.

Lost dog! Please help, my friend lost his dog on Mount Toby. Ace is a male Australian Shepherd. He is Blue Merle color. Wearing Collar with tags. 413-834-1357 or 413-406-8842.

My daughter and I hiked up the tower trail and she was caring her two-month-old son Henry. We took the tower trail to the top. Disappointed at the top that there’s not much of a view unless you climb the fire tower. We then came down the blue trail which was steeper and eroded in places. The bugs weren’t too bad and it wasn’t too awfully hot. Great time to spend with the family!

Sun May 26 2019

We wanted to extend both the distance and the difficulty of the Mt. Toby Loop. From the parking lot we started up the Tower Rd.Trail. After a mile, we branched off onto the Robert Frost Trail which became steep. We then took the Link Trail back to Tower Rd up to the fire tower. We took Tower Rd. back to the parking lot. Our pedometer read 6.2 miles for a round trip We were mostly in the shade and the insects weren't that bad. Overall a good hike.

Thu May 23 2019

Tough telephone line trail as always reminds me how out of shape I am but I love it every time

Wed May 22 2019