Mentzner Trail and Sparrow Trail Loop

Mentzner Trail and Sparrow Trail Loop is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This complex of trails has several nice views from elevated points looking east. The trails here are closer to hiking trails than ealking paths so be prepared. There are some elevation changes but minor. My last trip was to explore the Vernal Pool trail. Enjoyed walking this trail, very relaxing with some nice rock outcroppings to pass through. Pisgah does not get the large amount of traffic that nearby locations do. Was at this location 4 hours and saw one dog walker and one very friendly mountainbiker. Lots of woodpeckers here if birds as are your thing.

I will start by saying I am an experienced hiker with a good sense of direction and this place had me lost even with a map in my hand. A few trails are well marked, but some of them are horrible. Colored markers are worn away to plain silver or missing altogether. Lots of intersections with no markings at all. My daughter and I found two outlooks, but I have no clue if one of them was the summit or just the north/south ones. It was a beautiful day for a hike, but frustrating when you have to keep guessing where you are. In the end I had to resort to my phone map to the Smith Rd parking lot to see if we were headed in the right direction. Also, part of the trails we wandered on were in an area where hunting is permitted. At one time around 11 am , we could hear gunshots. Some hikers (and their dog) were wearing hunting orange, which I highly recommend during hunting season!

Your dog has to be leashed and the trail had a good amount of people on it. Nice view on summit trail!

A nice trail, a little short for what we were looking for—but pretty woods with a good view here and there. Dog and kid friendly.

I wanted to try a new trail so gave this place a shot . Nice easy trails- would be great for young children. Slightly boring . No water or sites to see. Bring lots of bug spray . If I was giving a letter grade would be a B+

Very nice trail, beautiful overlook in the middle of it. If you bring the trail map on your phone and know where you want to go, it's easy to decipher the trail markers and signs. Lots of roots and rocks, but no problem if you pick your way carefully. Beautiful ferns, Hawks, wood thrush birdcalls.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Great hiking area with amazing views if you make it to the summit

Thursday, May 11, 2017

I walked this trail with my dog , my I say I got lost . If you never have done this trail beware that you can get lost very easy . Trails are not mark that well . very rocky and lots of roots . Take a map of the trails with you !!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

My 9 year old daughter and I hiked the trails this afternoon. Nice walk through the woods.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I've done this one a few times. Easy enough for kids. Can make it short or long depending on how much time you want to spend.

The view at the end of the Mentzner Trail is decent for the area. On a clear day you can see Boston.

Because it's so close to home, this is a repeat spot for me.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Make sure you understand the map of the trail before you begin !

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I like to trail run/jog/walk. This trail has many offshoot paths that can keep you in the woods for a good 4 miles. I'll admit I got lost and spent a little longer on the trail than I had planned. I parked by Tougas Farm (great for apple picking) and jogged to the Ball/Smith Street entrance. You have to pay attention to where you are landing your feet as there is plenty of rocks and roots to derail you. Some people find this annoying, I like it because it keeps me focused. The trails offered EASY, MODERATE, and DIFFICULT hiking/running. Highly recommend...become one with nature!!!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

LOTS of roots and rocks.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great for a quick ride after work. Bugs are ferocious and trails are limited. But the terrain is technical, awesome downhill section past the north view area.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice wide trail. I don't remember there being too many bugs (maybe some May flies). Decent view at the top.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Beautiful spot.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

decent trails, the "summit" was a little deceiving but the north and south views were nice

Friday, January 01, 2016

Very slippery hike on the first day of the new year!! Would be very easy on dry trails, nice view, would like to come back (with my ice cleats) and explore some more!!

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Lots of options to have a short walk or a very long walk. Great views similar to larger mountain hikes

Monday, November 16, 2015

It was a nice 40 degree day in mid November. Took my young kids,6 & 8, out for the loop and we all had a great time. A nice 1 and a half hour walk with great views. I am looking to begin snowshoeing and think that this would be a great place to try it out.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Easy trails with two scenic overviews with flat rocky areas for sitting and backpacking in your lunch. Distance to either overlook is about 30-45 minutes (90-minutes round trip). Mentzer trail (yellow) brings you to North view. Sparrow trail (red) brings you to South view. Recommend starting hike no later than 4p in the fall to hike in enough daylight to see stones/tree roots on trails. On a clear day, the views are quite impressive and worth the hike!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Not bad at all - compared to most other options close by. I'm spoiled - used to ride in Asheville NC.

Monday, January 06, 2014

Nice place to take a 30 minute-2 hour hike. There is some variation in terrain but nothing too steep or difficult. There are 2 decent vistas, mountain biking obstacles, and beautiful foliage in the fall. During the summer, there are *tons* of mosquitos.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Its a nice place to take a hike. Smith rd entrance is easy to find for the loop trails. if your looking to do the Bennett trail, its located right on Lyman st on the Northboro/Berlin line in Berlin. the parking is unmarked & easy to miss. the best way to describe it for you to find is saying that its the bus turn around area. the hill on the Bennett trail will have Blue plastic markers & once you reach the hill, its a good 5 minute climb to reach the top which becomes the Meltzer trail. All in all its a pretty nice place but the challenge of the trail i took didnt seem all that challenging. i gave it 3 stars due to the woods, it was clean with no trash & i seen a little blue bird that ive never seen anywhere else before. the lack of 2 stars was the Bennett trail not being easy to find & the lack of challenge but its a nice place to experience for people of all ages.