Mentzner Trail and Sparrow Trail Loop

Mentzner Trail and Sparrow Trail Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, Massachusetts that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I will start by saying I am an experienced hiker with a good sense of direction and this place had me lost even with a map in my hand. A few trails are well marked, but some of them are horrible. Colored markers are worn away to plain silver or missing altogether. Lots of intersections with no markings at all. My daughter and I found two outlooks, but I have no clue if one of them was the summit or just the north/south ones. It was a beautiful day for a hike, but frustrating when you have to keep guessing where you are. In the end I had to resort to my phone map to the Smith Rd parking lot to see if we were headed in the right direction. Also, part of the trails we wandered on were in an area where hunting is permitted. At one time around 11 am , we could hear gunshots. Some hikers (and their dog) were wearing hunting orange, which I highly recommend during hunting season!

Your dog has to be leashed and the trail had a good amount of people on it. Nice view on summit trail!

A nice trail, a little short for what we were looking for—but pretty woods with a good view here and there. Dog and kid friendly.

I wanted to try a new trail so gave this place a shot . Nice easy trails- would be great for young children. Slightly boring . No water or sites to see. Bring lots of bug spray . If I was giving a letter grade would be a B+

Very nice trail, beautiful overlook in the middle of it. If you bring the trail map on your phone and know where you want to go, it's easy to decipher the trail markers and signs. Lots of roots and rocks, but no problem if you pick your way carefully. Beautiful ferns, Hawks, wood thrush birdcalls.

Nice trail. Perfect for Finn

Great hiking area with amazing views if you make it to the summit

I walked this trail with my dog , my I say I got lost . If you never have done this trail beware that you can get lost very easy . Trails are not mark that well . very rocky and lots of roots . Take a map of the trails with you !!

My 9 year old daughter and I hiked the trails this afternoon. Nice walk through the woods.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I've done this one a few times. Easy enough for kids. Can make it short or long depending on how much time you want to spend.

The view at the end of the Mentzner Trail is decent for the area. On a clear day you can see Boston.

Because it's so close to home, this is a repeat spot for me.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Make sure you understand the map of the trail before you begin !

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I like to trail run/jog/walk. This trail has many offshoot paths that can keep you in the woods for a good 4 miles. I'll admit I got lost and spent a little longer on the trail than I had planned. I parked by Tougas Farm (great for apple picking) and jogged to the Ball/Smith Street entrance. You have to pay attention to where you are landing your feet as there is plenty of rocks and roots to derail you. Some people find this annoying, I like it because it keeps me focused. The trails offered EASY, MODERATE, and DIFFICULT hiking/running. Highly recommend...become one with nature!!!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

LOTS of roots and rocks.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great for a quick ride after work. Bugs are ferocious and trails are limited. But the terrain is technical, awesome downhill section past the north view area.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice wide trail. I don't remember there being too many bugs (maybe some May flies). Decent view at the top.

Sunday, February 28, 2016