The requested park could not be found.

Mount Norwottuck

Mount Norwottuck is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Amherst, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Highest peak in the Holyoke range, has commanding views of the entire pioneer valley. The loop for Mt. Norwottuck combines the Robert Frost trail (orange) and the M&M trail (white). Start from the Visitor's Center on the combined Robert Frost trail and M&M Trail (orange & white). Stay left on the Robert Frost (orange) when the M&M splits off. Eventually you will reconnect with the M&M, and there you will stay right on go onto the M&M Trail (white). You will then begin an ascent to the summit through ledges. From the summit continue to follow the M&M trail (white) down and eventually you will rejoin the Robert Frost trail (orange) where you split off on the way up. Stay left on the combined Robert Frost (orange) and M&M trail (white) to get back to the visitor center.

Steep and rocky on Norwuttuck Mt. If following MM trail (whiteblaze) you will end up on Long Mountain which is not as high of an elevation but a long steady incline as the name suggests. I tried using the south side trails that are "blue blazed" but these are poorly marked and the trade off for a shortcut through lower elevation is really that you and up walking in swampy areas and along creek beds. Poorly marked...half blue half orange with white arrow. The end of the MM white blaze goes through private property and down a steep embankment and empties onto Bay rd. Past the storage area the trail continues across rd.

trail can be pretty difficult at first if you start with the white trail, but completing the loop proves much easier for a relaxing and rewarding return back. a great hike, not more than 2 hours or so round trip if you’re going slow!

Nice property for sure! A cold day so started with a trail run down the RF Trail, that was nice! Then went up to Rattlesnake Knob to catch some epic views! Descended there into the valley then came upon a path diverging...so took the one that appeared less traveled! That took me back up to the Horse Caves where I met a nice gent, his wife and dogs. We discussed Shay's Rebellion and the cool geology there. Ascended via bushwack, a really less traveled approach, to the Norwottuck summit. That was pleasant, and scary at times, as was the quick trek out from there, back to the visitor center with patches of rock solid ice hither. Do this hike NOW!!!

It took us about an hour to reach the outlook. The system of way finding is a little bit confusing but a gentleman working in the rec area let us know to follow the white blocks that are spray painted on the trees. This is a nice space for a leisurely hike, there are places that are a bit steep but become more level. It was raining and therefore not busy but we saw lots of frogs! This is a great space for active dogs. Overall hour trip was about 2 hours. We chose to come back down the way we went up instead of taking the longer loop around.

There were some steep parts of the trail, by the horse caves, but overall a very nice hike. Some very nice views of Hadley and Belchertown.

It was hard to complete the full circle to the Robert Frost trail and horse caves due to insufficient trail markings on the other side of the mountain

I wish I was able to see the view. But due to the heat and very steep incline we were not able to complete this hike. If you are going clockwise I would rate this trail as hard for sure.

Great hike in Hampshire county. I’ve done this hike dozens of times and it never gets old. You can do an in and out or a loop, and there not much apart in mileage. Trail is typical New England where you have some ups and downs and ups again. Horse caves are fun although you can go around. Only time of year I’d avoid is when the trail is mostly ice. A few inches of snow (or more) is good and any of the warmer months are great.

For the most part, this trail is well marked. I followed the directions on the app and periodically checked to make sure I was still on trail. The view at the summit was breath taking! There is one portion where you need to climb up some rocks and pass through a small space in between two rocks (near the horse caves). It's easy to miss the white marks that direct you to climb the rocks, and to keep going to the right in what appears to be a trail going up the ledges. We had to backtrack when we realized we went off trail. If you're nervous about climbing the rocks, there was plenty of good footing to work with. Great trail!

The trails are clearly marked on the white trail on the way up until you get close to the top, but you can easily follow the trail to the summit. If you continue down the white trail, following the loop rather than turning back, the markings almost disappear. The trail is still easy to follow but it's much smaller. Once you reach the Orange trail the markings are great.

Nice trail. We went up white and down orange to avoid a long steep downhill. Nice lookout at the peak and nearby. You can climb around the tight squeeze on the way down. Then it is a lovely walk in the woods.

Amazing view, the way down is at first a bit steep, but then levels out (and is a bit boring).

Trail is dog friendly but there's a rod and gun club nearby with a range. You can easily hear the gun shots from the rec hunters and if your dog is skittish from thunder or fireworks, it may take some work to get your pup on the trails. Good hike overall though.

Parking lot at the Notch Visitor Center fills up quickly, got there about 9:30 am and was already almost full. Did the hike with my 11 year old lab, who scrambled a little on some of the last stretch up. Definitely a well trafficked trail so if you are looking for more solo quiet time maybe not the best choice. Agree with some other reviews that it's not super well marked, many markers have faded and not been renewed for a while. I got a little sidetracked on the way down, but always set my GPS when I start a hike so wasn't too difficult to get back on right trail. A decent Sunday morning workout!

Loved the view, but the directions were a little unclear

When we were on the actual trail, it was super nice. Kids didn't complain. Then, about 2 miles into it, we somehow got off the trail. Between the 4 of us, we still aren't sure how it happened because we were clearly following the markings until we weren't. There are quite a few marked trails out there that we could not locate on the map so it was a bit of a pain to find our way back. We hiked an extra 1.1 miles due to all of this. Not sure I would venture out this way again just due to poor markings.

Awesome quick hike to a nice view. Strenuous at some points but fairly easy. When you get to the top veer off to side path to see awesome views from cliffs. Check out the trail log!

Great workout. beautiful views.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Beautiful view of the Pioneer Valley. Nice and quiet on our Monday AM trip.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

The hike itself is nice but I think overrated given what else there is in the area. Good views at the top, we walked down to the horse 'caves' which were a cool rock formation. The 3 star rating is due to the horrible trail markings and map. There exist a significant number of trails that arent listed on the map, and the intersections arent clearly marked. For such a popular hike, they could put some effort in on a decent map and trail marking system. Only saving grace were the numbered location markers at some trail intersections, which are actually on the map.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Great day hike from Boston

Friday, June 30, 2017

Really enjoyed this hike. We took the white marked trail to the summit and down to the horse caves, then the orange trail back to the visitor center. The views are awesome and it's a good workout.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

good moderate challenge..stunning view, cant wait to do rest of the range eventually

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Good season starter moderate hike with a moderate amount of elevation gain spread out over a couple miles. Trails are marked pretty well, however look around you as the marking may be behind you. As always be prepared, saw a few different groups of people who did not have enough water.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

It is a great trail but views aren't as great as some other mountains close by (mount tom, even sugarloaf) and finding your way can be very confusing. I have climbed it several times and still occasionally get lost.

Monday, May 22, 2017

My Grandson & I enjoyed this pet friendly hike that traversed Mt. Norwottuck, the Horse Caves & Rattlesnake Knob. Although this hike is registered under Mt. Norwottuck, it extended well beyond that covering many unnamed trails. (See Recording) DCR has Location Signs(see uploaded photos) at all intersections that make it easy for you to identify your position. Matching the Location Number on the available maps (available at Notch Visitor Center)make navigating the many intersecting trails simple.

This moderate hike will have you huffing on your way to the top of Mt. Norwottuck. A little cardio workout but moderate at best. No scrambling on this hike.

I would highly recommend bug repellent for hikers. The mosquitoes were horrendous. Normally we pick a spot midway through the hike to stop and have lunch. Not on this hike though. The minute you stopped moving, the mosquitoes attacked. It was a great incentive to finish the hike early.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A moderate hike in the amherst area with a variety of views

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Great thanksgiving day morning hike! Great views from the top and horse caves very cool. Dogs were challenged to slip through the cave area. Now to some turkey!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great trail. the only reason I didn't give it a five star is because it can get confusing if it's your first time. The blazing can be done better. I didn't run into major issues but I can see that being one for inexperienced hikers.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Overall great hike, with beautiful views. Well marked. White trail gave an aerobic up with fairly easy bouldering, orange portion of the trail was nice and easy.