Mount Greylock via Money Brook Trail

Mount Greylock via Money Brook Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Williamstown, Massachusetts that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful hike starts along Money Brook and follows it to a waterfall. This hike is one of the best hikes in the Berkshire region because it takes in the tallest mountain in Massachusetts, and it follow Money Brook at the start, which makes for a very nice gradual start to this difficult hike. Money Brook trail starts gradual and works its way up the deep valley between Greylock and Mt Prospect. The trail passes a beautiful waterfall that is worth diverting from the trail for. At the head of the valley the trail joins the Appalachian Trail and follow the AT South over Mt Williams, Mt Fitch and on to Greylock summit with pretty good view on Fitch and Williams. The views from Greylock summit are spectacular. Returning from the summit Continue South on the AT to the Hopper Trail, follow Hopper trail thru the campground on Sperry Road out to stony ledge with spectacular views of greylock and the Hopper. A trail continues past a lean to, take the Haley Farm Trail on the right which ends up right where you started.

The views from Mt. Williams, Mt. Greylock, and Stony Ledge were amazing! The hike took us longer to complete than I expected which led us hiking the last bit after Stony Ledge in the dark. I would normally be miffed at this, but thankfully there is very little light pollution in the area letting us have an amazing view of the stars once we left the woods all the way to the parking lot.

Bring plenty of water, and the lodge at the top of Greylock has a tap for hikers if you're needing to refill. We didn't really come across other hikers until Mt. Fitch and Greylock. Can't wait to do it again!

Overall this is a good hike. The trails are easy to follow starting from Money Brook and working your way to the AT then to Greylock. Not much traffic but I also started early. The view from the top is incredible, but saturated with tourists which I do not care for. Also, the restaurant in the lodge at the top of Mt. Greylock is overpriced and the food was terrible, also don't serve beer until 4 pm on Sundays(?). Anyway, hiked hopper back to the parking lot which was easy to follow and all downhill. Definitely bring plenty of water and snacks as this will be a long hike. Trails could be better maintained but overall pretty good!

Large parking area at the end of Hopper Rd. Go past the gate and continue onto the Money Brook Trail. You can take the trail all the way until it hooks up with the Appalachian Trail and then take the AT over Greylock, but we cut it just a bit short and took the Old Summit Trail towards the end of the Money Brook Trail to where it connects with the AT to shave off the climb of an additional mountain. Connect back up with the Hopper Trail on the way down Greylock to complete the loop. About 10 miles if you take the Old Summit shortcut. Very physical trail and very challenging for most of it, but a great hike with a gorgeous view at the top (if you can dodge everyone that simply drove up :) )

I parked at the Money Brook trailhead on Notch Rd., about three road miles down the mountain from the summit turnoff to Mt. Greylock. I passed on the falls and continued on Money Brook to Hopper then Sperry Rd. and back on Hopper to Mt. Greylock. It's probably about 5 - 6 miles. From the top of Greylock I looped back to where I was parked using the AT north, about 3 - 3.5 miles. I started at 8 am and got back to where I was parked at 2:45 pm, stops for lunch and two rest breaks totaled about 45 - 60 minutes. This is a challenging hike, due mostly to Money Brook. My time was about 45 - 50 minutes per mile, much higher than the day before when I hiked the Jones Nose, CCC Dynamite loop plus extra, at about 35 - 40 minutes per mile. The Money Brook trail is a long incline, gradual and sometimes pretty steep. In places I'd go 50 - 70 paces and stop, stand to rest ten seconds and then continue. Real pretty though. Nice flowers in bloom, and beautiful weather. Coming back from Mt. Greylock the AT north is downhill to level and rocky. Two thoughts: I like to bring and use my compass with the trail map. Also, tree roots, rocks and whatnot are part of the deal, be careful, start in the am, and take your time chuggling along. Have fun!