Mass Central Rail Trail: Oakdale to Highway 31

moderate 110 reviews

Mass Central Rail Trail: Oakdale to Highway 31 is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Holden, Massachusetts that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 662 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

rails trails

Beautiful trail lined by trees, lots of little paths off of the main trail. Lots of views of the rivers and streams.

Labor Day ride and the beginning of the trail was packed as I expected and there were actually a lot of people throughout the entire trail ride . A little bit of washout on the big hills before and after the Manning street side which was easily maneuverable.

Went for a trail run today. Most of the run was in the shade which was great. It was a very well maintained trail.

Amazing and beautiful hike! I will certainly be back.

My husband and I walk the other part of this rail trail all the time so we thought we would try the second half.. get there and there is a huge sign that says no dogs. I really don’t understand why only this part is not dog friendly.

Thu Feb 21 2019

Sun Feb 17 2019

Great hike, but very hard snow and ice on trail. But still an awesome hike

Thu Oct 18 2018

beautiful trails. went with my husband son amd Mother in law. it was a beautiful day

Tue Sep 04 2018

I have enjoyed every minute of it. The trails is very well maintained and clearly marjed. It is very scenic with multiple rest areas. A busy family friendly trail yet very quiet and can enjoy nature. Multiple smaller trails emerge from the main trail and you can customize your hike to any length or elevation challenge that appeals to you. Highly recommend it and will be back again.

Sun Aug 19 2018

The trail was scenic and well maintained. it's ideal for families, folks who want an easy stroll in the woods, and a non-technical cycle. I trail ran it and would classify it as easy, not moderate. the trail is pretty good to run along with a couple steep bits at the turning point. I think m it'd be a fun trail to cross country ski later in the year.

Wed Aug 01 2018

What a well maintained scenic trail system. I will be back for sure had a great time!!!

Wed Jun 06 2018

Wow, what a beautiful trail! This is a hard packed dirt trail that leads you through lush forest along the Quinapoxet River, with views of the Wachusett Reservoir. If you are looking for quiet and serenity this is the trail. In the areas you don’t see the waters you definitely hear their peaceful flow. The first mile or so is busy with runners and families walking, but the latter portion is very quiet. I would not recommend children on bikes after the first mile and a half, it’s too difficult. The elevation gain in the last two miles is great! Also port-a-potties at both parking lots as well as picnic tables and benches. My ride was just over 8 miles out and back because I was short on time, but there is more trail beyond that.

Tue Dec 27 2016

Beautiful even in the ice and slush. There's even a historical old mill site along the path. Very safe and scenic. 3 miles from parking lot to parking lot.

Sat Oct 08 2016

Pretty but very busy with lots of people & after a mile and change there's a large sign that dogs can't go any further so I had to go back and forth in order to get my 5 miles done.

Thu May 19 2016

Beautiful trail. Great for photographers.

Tue Apr 19 2016

Nice walk, I would call any trail that involves paved roads and has many strollers on it easy rather than moderate. A lot of mountain biking trails shoot off the main path, but there are signs everywhere that indicate biking isn't allowed on those. There's a series of markers indicating where an old mill was and how it worked on the west side, a number of people fishing on the east. Well maintained, minimal incline or difficulty.

Thu Apr 14 2016

Beautiful views of the river. Great hike if you like to take photographs along the way.