Lost Pond Trail

Lost Pond Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We hiked the trail in late March after a somewhat recent snow. The hike is a good escape from the Boston urban landscape with plenty of pines, small boardwalks, a kettle hole pond, and according to a kiosk, a peat bog. You will see housing, a recycling center, and encounter traffic noise, but despite all of these elements, it is still a worthy hike. We did have some trouble navigating the trail as outlined by the AllTrails app. At about 1.5 miles into our walk, we encountered signs that read "road closed" at our designated route. After walking around for a bit looking for an alternative route, the trail seemed to disappear (I'm sure the snow did not help). We just retraced our steps to complete an out-and-back. Despite our troubles, it was a nice walk in the woods and very much appreciated by our dogs.

The Lost Pond Trail is fairly wooded but still clear. I liked the outing when I went, but when I tried to finish the loop highlighted in this app on two different occasions, the loop was cutoff from both directions. I am not sure what was the reason and I did not see any signs providing an explanation. I would have liked to finish the entire trail, but I still enjoyed spending time there.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Lots of roots on the trail bed but a nice loop with plenty of shade.

Friday, June 23, 2017