Laughing Brook Wildlife Sanctuary

Laughing Brook Wildlife Sanctuary is a 1.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hampden, Massachusetts and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Laughing Brooks has 353 acres of woodlands, meadows, and streams along its four-mile trail system. The former home of naturalist and childrens author Thornton W. Burgess is located on the sanctuary grounds.

We loved this hike! We have read aloud several of Thornton Burgess’s books to our children, so they loved making that connection. We saw animal tracks at the brook, birds, and beautiful fall foliage. The big boulder “Split Rock” was a favorite with the kids. The only reason I wouldn’t give this a five star rating is because the trails are poorly marked for a first time visitor. Print the trail guide from the Mass Audubon website before you go!

Easy hike, good for kids, quiet area even though it's right off the road. One giant boulder my kids liked to scramble up and down.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

very peaceful, did the large loop. Saw a giant pack of deer!

Friday, May 27, 2016

only 3 stars because I had to come back without my poor dog for this short hike. it was a nice day and the sound of the trickling water made for a relaxing hike. sadly there was no wildlife to be seen

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Was ok took my two year daughter. She loved the brook. We were lucky enough to see a blue heron and an owl.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

only give 3

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Nothing special for a wild life sanctuary all we saw was 1 squirrel. Trail markings very poor.

Monday, April 18, 2016

It was amazing!!!!!!

LOL. I was so wet

It wasn't Evan funny

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Easy trail for the little ones.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

I have been hiking these woods for over 35 years. There is a low trail that is stunning with its narrow paths amongst the needle tall pines- excellent for photography with the appearance of Deer frequently.
The high trail is more uphill & rocky. The further you go the deeper the woods become until you literally can reach the side of a mountain or a wonderful babbling brook you can hike thru or relax buy.
This is a wildlife sanctuary so along the beginnings of your hike there are cages in the woods with endangered animals that need help with injuries eventually to re-enter their natural habitat.
Outside the parking lot there is a main center filled with maps and information as well as trail guides if you should need one
It is also the homestead of Thorton Burgess a famous children's author. You can tour his home while there.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Great place to hike around and see birds and other wildlife. The caretakers here are dedicated and awesome.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Multiple well-marked trails to choose from. Follow the river path, mild uphill hiking, or follow a deeper woodland trail based on your preference.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I think this is a beautiful trail along the river. It is very well kept and wanders up and down slight hills. I believe if you do the Neff Trail and make the entire loop it is more than a 1.2 mile loop. There is hardly ever anyone on the trail which is why it is perfect for bird watching and picnicking!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Good trail. Most trails go up hill, but you choose If you want something easy or a little more challenging. The river is great to kick back at. I havent see many people here at most of my trips. The beginning of the trail is also handicap accessible!