Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary Trail

Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Topsfield, Massachusetts that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

paddle sports

The sanctuary is open to the public dawn to dusk only. Please be aware this is private property and respect for the rules is appreciated. These trails are only for hiking, not for running and no bikes. Very peaceful. Walk around this short loop to find yourself on wooden paths that will take you past several water bodies and through some beautiful woods where chickadees will readily land on your hand for bird feed that is available from dispensers on the trail. You'll also check out a cool rock grotto that children can explore around. Keep your eye out for turtles in the water!

Bring bird seed to feed the birds. we saw many people hand feeding the birds. Great place for families. All kids should check out the Rockery Loop. Picnic tables for lunch.

This is one of those spots I would gladly head to over and over again with kids of any age! Equally great for adults who love hiking with plenty of loop options and interesting waypoints (my favorite were the pond loop and observation tower).

I would agree with other reviews that while you need have a little bit of patience, if you have sunflower seeds the chickadees will be eating right out of your hand… we also spotted loads of turtles, and a faun as well as other local wildlife! I was hiking with kids aged 6, 8, and 14. We got about 2.2 miles in and spent about an hour and a half hiking. Bring bug spray and be tick-savvy.... we had to pull a couple despite being careful.

Everybody loved this hike! We’ll be back for sure!

This place is beautiful and peaceful. Lots of bugs! Bring bug spray.

This place is great and well maintained!

Stunning and peaceful.

Hot spot for birding

Best trail ever if you’ve never held a wild bird before?! You can bring or buy sunflower seeds and chickadees will land on your hands as long as you’re still. Greatest experience ever will definitely be going back! Trail itself was really nice and was very beautiful but the bird are the best part great trail for kids/family’s!!

Nice easy but diverse trails

I have a walking group and this is one of my favorite places to walk. The views are beautiful, but I think the serene feeling that you get when you are there makes it even more beautiful. My first visit I saw 16 deer, a blue gray heron, a family of turtles and of course the chickidies that ate from my hands topped it off. Then there is the cave and the climbing tower. All seasons are great walks there but late October the trails are filled with autumn colors. I am thrilled that we found this place.

Been going here since I was a kid. Now I bring my kids. Fantastic educational programming as well. Being a small bag of bird seed. The chickadees are super friendly. The restrooms are much appreciated for families and don't forget to bring cash or a check book to pay admission.

Great little hike with our toddler.

Really cool, a lot of character for one hike. Decent length.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

we love all the wildlife we get to see here. plant variety is beautiful too! Trail is easy but so fun.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Very cool spot. Nice walkways over water with beautiful views as well as wooded trails. Saw 3 deer (1 baby), a fox, a snake, butterflies and more. Dogs not allowed. Didn't realize this and the groundskeeper let us bring our dog in as long as we picked up after it. Great experience.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Very peaceful walk and lots of wildlife to see. Beautiful lily pads and ponds all over. The end of Averills island loop had some broken boardwalk that sunk into the mud. I had to walk on fallen branches to make it through. Most of the waterfowl pond trail was under water. Just beware of those spots.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Well-maintained trails, beautiful scenery, quiet, peaceful, with lots of birds and other wildlife (including ticks--bring repellent!).

Thursday, June 22, 2017

A wonderful trail system with up-close bird encounters, man made rock formations, wooden bridges, and plenty of wildlife. Spotted red squirrels, nuthatches, blue jays, herons, and a flock of cedar waxwings on the mulberry tree, just to name a few.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Beautiful trails, my boyfriend and i were given bird seed by a little girl and her family, i had never fed birds out of my hand before, but you just sit on the boardwalk path seeds in your hand outstreched and those birds come right to you...amazing experience!!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Peaceful and wonderful place to view wildlife and a variety of landscapes

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great trail to take the kids for a walk and to see all kinds of wildlife!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Great trail, went on a drizzly day and it was worth getting our socks wet

Monday, April 25, 2016

Awesome. Easy hikes through swamps and woodland. Lots of birds and turtles to see...bring your camera. No pets allowed, so no problems with off-lead dogs. Can get crowded on nice days.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

beautiful, well manicured, abundant wildlife... A favorite of my wife and. Highly recommended.

Monday, August 17, 2015

went canoeing for the day down the river and it was gorgeous!

Monday, August 17, 2015

Nice place to hike.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

I went with my family to this trail. It was very family friendly with climbable rocks, climbable trees, and an observatory tower. The nature was serene.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Nice views, walked for the trails for two hours.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Great trails for snow shoes

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Love biking the trails

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Great place. We love it there