Hancock Shaker Village Trail

Hancock Shaker Village Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pittsfield, Massachusetts that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing.

Five miles west of Pittsfield. Constructed and maintained by the Boy Scouts of America, this circuit travels wooded, stream, and hilltop sites key to a 19th-cintury Shaker society.

There are other trails here too, that can be hiked as a loop, but they're not well marked, and some are shared with snowmobiles/ATVs. A favorite spot of mine.

Very nice hike with a large paved parking area at the trail head. Not always really well marked, but we made it through without issue, and it does make a complete loop. Great trail for a short day hike with some elevation without really steep climbs.

Beautiful pine and birch forests which smell wonderful. Didn't see any humans but unfortunately didn't see much wildlife either.

Easy to find and park, but not well marked. The trail is on the opposite side of the road from the museum. The trail is not heavily used and is somewhat overgrown in places. There are green arrows guiding you but either I missed one or it had fallen off and I ended up on a side trail and got all turned around. The C.C.C. Trail is what I ended up on, it shows up as a road on AllTrails. It was confusing to say the least. The Shaker trail is heavily canopied. There are small streams and little under growth. I did not see any wild animals, but the sound of singing birds and lack of motor sounds was relaxing and peaceful. I saw all of 3 people on the trail, so I felt quite alone in the woods.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Great hike!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Really great hike to get outdoors and be able to hike for a few hours but I wasn't impressed with the top I was expecting more because I had hiked so far.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

So beautiful in the late spring... The beginning of the trail along the stream is so lovely it looks like Hobbits should live there. There is a nice easy little loop with signs stating the historical importance of different sites. Shaker Mt. is a nice little after work not-too-too-steep- UP, but entirely avoidable if you aren't interested in a climb.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

We took a nice summer day off and decided to take a nice walk through the woods. We enjoyed the walk around the pond (stopped on the way in and they way out to check out the fish), the varied trails, the stream crossings and the changing woods. Lots of blow down on some of the trails but easiy walked around and still a very enjoyable hike.