Great Blue Hill Trail

Great Blue Hill Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Milton, Massachusetts that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

very crowded on a Sunday morning! started off to the right-trail was good but harder than expected. lots of up and downs before getting to the top of great blue hill. advise going early on weekends. parking lot was completely full when leaving around 1pm.

Love this place, especially when I've got the Blues!
Trek on my friends!

Very enjoyable hike. If you are going with kids go clockwise. this makes the steeper inclines uphill.

This was my husband and my second hike this month and this trail was a fun challenge. We followed the path initially, but shortly after Eliot Tower, we mistakenly continued to follow the blue markers. The blue markers, after a certain point, does not follow the Great Blue Trail path. Instead, it takes you towards Canton and to a path that crosses the street.

This is a heavy traffic trail though and we saw many hikers with their dogs, dogs ranging from a lab to a corgi.

The views at the top of the hills and at the Eliot Tower are stunning!!!

There are a lot of hiking up and down large boulders/rocks. At times it was challenging, but doable for beginners hikers. The down did take a toll on our knees and ankles, but we are beginners.

I would love to do this path again in the winter.

TLDR: Go to this trail. Beautiful, green, remote, and appropriately related as moderate with some inclines/declines, passing from rocky trail to dirt.

Went on Sunday, 5/27 from about 2-4:38PM or so. We started on the side of the police station, up to Hancock Hill. Short 5 minute hike up and you get a beautiful viewpoint (see photos). A few minutes later to Hancock Hill where All Trails has the route split further to the west. We did this, but knew rain was scheduled for 4PM, so we stopped this side route with a couple hundred feet or so to go. Again, great views. As we continued we went down some other side trails exploring the lush forest, then back to the Great Blue Hill Trail.

Beautiful, thick forest throughout. Some fun crossings across logs. There’s a lot of downhill, so it seems like heading up on the Houghton Hill side would be much more difficult. Granted, there were some uphills for us. Wasn’t too crowded. Maybe saw 15 people total. No traffic noise, but heard or noticed one commercial jet.

AllTrails says 3.1 miles, though it’s close to 4.5-5.0. I didn’t monitor exact distance and writing this the day after, but apple health was about that when we finished. Of course we explored a bit off the GBH trail, but not enough to bump it by 1.5 more miles.

Moderate rating is appropriate due to the terrain and inclines. You will be walking over larger rocks, tree roots, etc. It’s not a smooth, flat, fire road like the Santa Monica Mountains. Was visiting family and wasn’t anticipating hiking, so didn’t bring proper boots or clothing. I’ve hiked for years in California in a pair of worn out Adidas so I had no problem in them on this hike. But, if I had my Salomon’s it would’ve been more comfortable and I would’ve taken more “risks” on some of the slicker, steeper inclined rocks. For inexperienced hikers, you will get tired and you should wear more appropriate shoes than sneakers.

Go hike, have fun, bring a bottle of water, and take your trash with you.

Fine if you can't get out of the city, nice little wood. But it is crowed

Good quick hike, couple hours. The weather tower was the highlight.

I took my dog and it was a great hike! Perfect weather. A lot of people and there were a good amount of friendly dogs! One of my favorites in Mass!

Good workout in a relatively short amount of time. Trail is well maintained and there are some nice views at the top. Tends to be very crowded.

beautiful views. Rocky.
difficult in winter.

Nice hike, kinda crowded.

The view was worth the hike

Hiked this trail in the wintertime following a snowfall and was not disappointed. Tough to believe you can find a serene landscape like this tucked inside the I-95 corridor! Great views and well-marked trails, with a few rocky/scrambling areas and several challenging inclines and descents. Good footwear is a must. Will hike the longer variation next!

Kids friendly. Wear good shoes

Magnificent trail

Start on Skyline Trail South to the Elliot Tower and finish Skyline Trail North. All the views will be near the end of the hike, about 3/4 of the way through, which is way more rewarding. If you go counterclockwise, you'll see all the views at the beginning then nothing but trails for the majority of the way. Fun hike!

it was a beautiful veiw. it a must see.cant wait to see it in the fall

Great moderate climb. Well marked trail with beautiful views.

beautiful hike me and my famiky were so happy to be together. i love them so much. best day ever. i wish dad was still alive

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Best trail in the area in my opinion. Playful trek with a rolling accent to the tower. Lots of rocks to test stability and tree coverage for protection from wind and sun. Little creek crossing on the way down when there has been recent rain. Can be slippery and icy. 90 mins round trip if fit. Can take up to 3 hours for a novice. The inclines can be challenging for newbies so set expectations for those joining you.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beautiful hike. We did the Trail counterclockwise and found a lot of steep downhills scrambling down rocks. The next time we will do it clockwise. The 3.4 miles took a couple of hours.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Blue Hills is a mixed bag. The area is sprawling, gorgeous, and provides a lot of options. However, I think the more difficult trails are under-ranked – that is, 'moderate' should be 'difficult'. But more importantly, their overall mapping and wayfinding is subpar. Between the poor markings and the pleasant but sometimes clueless onsite employees, hikers really need to do thorough homework beforehand. Once you've rolling though, it's great.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Great hike for us and the dog! Challenging for a moderate trail given certain rocky inclines. The mosquitos were brutal though. And the best views are at the start of the hike.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Nice easy hike to prepare you for more challenging hikes as the season progresses. Good hike to take the dogs on.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Enjoyable trail. Some difficult parts for sure, but nothing too crazy. Great views, very enjoyable!

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Good terrain, Great views of the city and surrounding area.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

If I was in WA or CO this would get a 3 but I will do this hike several times a year because it's the high quality for the area. Rolling up and down trail, well maintained and some good panorama views. Could be tough for novice hikers. Good stair climber style hike. Beautifully trees and a bit of water along the way to the tower.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

fun hiking in a weekend afternoon. Half an hour drive from Boston. Hiking is around
an hour. The view of Boston skyline is amazing. Wish I had brought a telephoto lens.