Learn more

Goat Peak Lookout Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holyoke, Massachusetts that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 269 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

recorded Goat Peak Lookout Trail

icy

This was a nice snowshoe to the lookout tower. The part of the M&M trail that I went up I had to break it out until it reached the yellow trail which was broken out up to the kiosk. I had to break the trail up to the lookout tower. On the way I came back down the yellow trail which was a quick and easy decent. Overall it was a great day to be out.

I actually didn’t do this exact trail because I didn’t realize it was 10$ to get into the park and I didn’t have cash on me so I ended up walking up the road and parking on the side. But I went up to goats peak and it was definitely beautiful and worth it. Also a good amount of shade along the way up so that was nice too. Very buggy though wear bug spray!!!

recorded Recording - May 26, 11:18 AM

don't start on res road in the futute

have done it a couple of times and it's a good season warm up

great trail, couple trees down but manageable.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Great walk for my dog. $5 parking fee at the entrance gate and there was LOTS of people.

Mon Jun 04 2018

loved it as a kid and thirty years later too

Sun Jun 03 2018

Fairly easy and short hike. Great view! Also dog friendly which is perfect for us!

Sun May 13 2018

did it for the first time, and I was great

Thu May 03 2018

Great short hike with rewarding views!

Fri Dec 22 2017

awesome peaceful hike

Sat Jul 01 2017

Very easy hike!

Mon Apr 10 2017

Nice easy walk/hike. There is plenty of up hill walking, but gradual.The tower views at the top are worth it. There are marked trails off of the trail of you are feeling adventurous. Dogs allowed, but must be in leash.

Thu Aug 04 2016

Simple, straightforward day hike. It won't take you long but the views at the top are amazing! Great to pack a picnic, sit on the cliffs and watch Western MA from above :)

Thu Oct 02 2014

Finally climbed the tower. Definitely worth it! Great views of the Holyoke range and the Seven Sisters.

Sat Jun 07 2014

I did this trail funny combined it with the m-m trail and another trail was about 6 mi that way if you hop onto the m-m trail you can go to the Eyre house ruins and there are several beautiful views along the way

Wed May 21 2014

Nice little trail for after work exercise or something if you're local, but nothing to go out of your way for. I am about 10 minutes away and my son and I will race up the trail. As one of the other reviewers said, you come through this peak when taking the M and M trail across the Mt Tom range which is definitely worth the trip. You get a pleasant view of Easthampton from the bench and a nice view towards the Seven Sisters from the tower. Great day hike if you have adventurous little ones. Not sure where the tracking shown on the map is going, but it's certainly not Goats Peak.

Mon Mar 25 2013

Hiked goats peak today first hike of the year. Great views very easy more like a walk than a hike but im sure thell get better as the year goes on

Mon Sep 10 2012

We hadn't hiked to Goat Peak just for Goat Peak but rather hit this lookout while doing a section hike of the M&M trail through Mt. Tom State Reservation. There is a small area at the lookout with two benches. The view is very pretty but not all that impressive in comparison to other areas on the reservation.